Author Topic: For the Benefit of the Non-Scottish and -Irish  (Read 972 times)

God

For the Benefit of the Non-Scottish and -Irish
« on: June 26, 2006, 03:44:29 AM »
Ireland's smoking ban has existed since 2004 and Scotland's for 3 months. Has the banning of
smoking in public places affected you? Has it changed your lifestyle at all? What has
changed since the ban has come into force? Would you say the changes for you country have
been mostly beneficial or detrimental?

Eamonn

Re: For the Benefit of the Non-Scottish and -Irish
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 03:52:02 AM »
It's been an ideal time to give up smoking. Most people are enjoying the cleaner, brighter atmosphere in pubs and even some smokers prefer it that way and dont mind going outside for a fag (in most weather). The only people who are 'losing out' are chain smokers who have to go outside every five minutes but as i say , maybe it will help them give up. I must admit though i miss having a fag with my pint (though in nice weather it's good to pop outside too) but all good things come to an end and now's an ideal to give up for good (having gave up for months at a time at numerous points before) as i've always found the biggest obstacle to giving up is sitting in the pub with a pint in my hand and people smoking around me.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 04:00:14 AM »
I'm definately happy that I can go to a pub these days and not come out with my eyes stinging, my clothes stinking and my lungs feeling like they've been used as a filter on a coal-burning powerstation's smoke stack.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 11:30:04 AM »
I have a little bit of Irish in me, on top of the French, German, English, and Portugeese. I don't live in Ireland or Scotland, but I can say this. I don't smoke, and I don't appreciate those carcinogens in the smoke. I know there is cadmium. A bann in some areas would help the people that don't care about their health, and the others who get trapped in their smoke.
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 11:56:12 AM »
I'm happy with it. Now when I go to restaurants I am immediately walked to a table. I don't have to wait for a table in the nonsmoking section open up.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 11:34:55 PM »
They've passed a similar law in NJ. People can't smoke in bars, etc. anymore. They have to go outside.

Offline cyberscot

• one
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 08:33:48 AM »
Again i think the big benefit of the smoking ban in scotland is not going to a pub and coming out reeking of stale cigarette smoke.I think the confirmed smokers underestimated the number of people who didn't like to go to pubs for that very reason!.There's been no discernable downturn in trade noticeable yet -  although we have not gone through a winter yet with the ban. having to outside for a fag is resented by some smokers but it may cut down on the casual and socialble smoking where people join in because there mates are doing it!!.