Educational

Author Topic: What's your Spokane?  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
Re: What's your Spokane?
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2007, 02:30:28 AM »
Ringo
The Beatles
Computers
Video game emulation on PC and DS
Nintendo DS
Atheism and being a religious skeptical
My pet rat
Drawing and Painting

Park.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2007, 09:34:57 AM »
lol I didn't even see this.   Sometimes these vary and concentration goes from one to the other to make others interests and others move to obsession status.

- Video/PC games (from NES to current its an obsession that has been the most constant).
- Guitar and music in general (play some bass and keyboards/synth as well). Started listening seriously at age 7, began playing guitar at 15 (29 now).
- Drawing, art in general and architecture (actually went to Junior university in 6th grade doing architecture).
- The end of existence and/or humanity.  Death and misanthropy.  Thomas Malthus and population expansion.
- RPGs (moreso 6 years ago).   Dungeons and Dragons mostly with some GURPS (Robotech/Mech game), Marvel Superheroes pen and paper RPG.
- Sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, FIFA up until I was 15).   When I began playing music I stopped following and playing all sports other than the NFL and College Football.   That is mostly due to being a Jaguars season ticket holder since the team's inception.  I was on my highschool's Junior varsity soccer/football team in 9th grade, then I quit playing sports to play music.  Sports in general now are only an interest other than the Jaguars.
- Marajuana from age 15 or so onward (one year break from all drugs/booze age 25-26).   Drugs in general were obsession from age 17 to 25.  Now its just back to good old marajuana with some alcohol.
- Transformers from age 4 to whenever the first movie came out and Hot Rod became Rodimus Prime (said fuck you to the series after that).
- Movies (mostly Martial Arts, Action, Sci-Fi/Fantasy).
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2007, 09:41:53 AM »
Vodzy - bass guitar, creating music (bands, electronica), mind expansion.

Define mind expansion.
IMO he meant mind exploration while under the influence of hallucinogens.   My mind is the size of my brain, it is the active or part that I have used.  When I trip sometimes I think about things I normally wouldn't think about, or see things a different way.  That is more a change of perception.  Mind expansion could also mean learning, but I would just say that outright.  My brain itself which is where my mind really is, physically doesn't really change in size and couldn't be defined as an obsession if it did.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2007, 09:51:21 AM »
I love looking at old books with pictures of the own I live in then going to the places to see how much things changed.  In England you have so much more history to see I am jealous.  I also like collecting things from different times knowing they were handled by people so long ago

Some people have gotten burned by the history here, like people who've bought country houses and then gotten a bill from the local church and discovered there's an ancient law or land deed or something that makes them liable for it's upkeep.  Some people make money out of exploiting ancient feudal laws by buying properties that give them titles to local commons areas and stuff.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2007, 09:54:10 AM »

Define mind expansion.
IMO he meant mind exploration while under the influence of hallucinogens.   My mind is the size of my brain, it is the active or part that I have used.  When I trip sometimes I think about things I normally wouldn't think about, or see things a different way.  That is more a change of perception.  Mind expansion could also mean learning, but I would just say that outright.  My brain itself which is where my mind really is, physically doesn't really change in size and couldn't be defined as an obsession if it did.

I want cybernetic implants to expand my mind.  Some RAM chips would be really good, since my working memory is completely shit.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2007, 10:00:09 AM »
I love looking at old books with pictures of the own I live in then going to the places to see how much things changed.  In England you have so much more history to see I am jealous.  I also like collecting things from different times knowing they were handled by people so long ago

Some people have gotten burned by the history here, like people who've bought country houses and then gotten a bill from the local church and discovered there's an ancient law or land deed or something that makes them liable for it's upkeep.  Some people make money out of exploiting ancient feudal laws by buying properties that give them titles to local commons areas and stuff.
Why do the ancient fuedal laws like that still exist?   Whoever owns the land owns the land here, they have to pay property taxes to the government.   We do have some silly old laws though that don't make sense.   There are neighborhood fees, but that is for gated neighborhoods with common areas and working security guards usually.   We have to pay a neighborhood association so they fix fences, common area landscaping, etc.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2007, 10:05:52 AM »
-UE
'Cause its darn fun!
-Reality gaming
It's fun too, I'm in one right now.

The list goes on actually, I guess the only difference is that when I usually talk about my obsessions people are really intrigued and intrested. To some point though.

What reality game are you in?  What do you do for it?

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2007, 10:08:28 AM »

Define mind expansion.

I want cybernetic implants to expand my mind.  Some RAM chips would be really good, since my working memory is completely shit.
The equivalent of and external firewire hard drive might be nice.  It will be interesting once we understand the science of the human brain and animal brains in general to a greater degree.   Learning like in the Matrix is fucking crazy though.   Physical temporary memory would be harder to replace since it is most likely closer to the cognitive functions imo.  A defrag tool or something to reorganize and reprioritize the mind would be nice.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2007, 10:10:28 AM »

Why do the ancient fuedal laws like that still exist?   Whoever owns the land owns the land here, they have to pay property taxes to the government.   We do have some silly old laws though that don't make sense.   There are neighborhood fees, but that is for gated neighborhoods with common areas and working security guards usually.   We have to pay a neighborhood association so they fix fences, common area landscaping, etc.

We have council tax that covers the upkeep of common areas, along with all the roads and waste collection and things.  Scotland recently abolished all the feudal property laws, but there are still a bunch of them in effect in England.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2007, 10:11:49 AM »
My interests are all pretty fleeting.  I don't get interested in things the same way I did as a kid.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2007, 10:16:46 AM »

Don't denigrate feudalism. Land isn't really 'owned' under
pure feudalism. And there sure the hell wasn't property tax.  :laugh:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2007, 10:23:11 AM »

Don't denigrate feudalism. Land isn't really 'owned' under
pure feudalism. And there sure the hell wasn't property tax.  :laugh:
Exactly, I would rather own my land.   If I am not in a neighborhood here, I can do whatever the fuck I want with my land for the most part.   Our neighborhood will bitch about certain things, but they aren't really a problem imo.   Feudalism the Lord or King owns all the land and you only are allowed to live on it.  That is worse than paying rent in my opinion.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2007, 10:37:05 AM »
Ah. I don't much believe that a person
should own land, but rather serve it.
Such a shift would do a lot of good,
for the environment.

Soph

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2007, 11:01:28 AM »
no human owns the land. they just think they do.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2007, 11:06:16 AM »
That's the thing with feudalism, it's really just
a small step away from the totally communal
idea. But, with clearly defined hierarchies, making
it work for a larger group.