Author Topic: Do you have a plan for when TeH SHTF?  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Do you have a plan for when TeH SHTF?
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2018, 08:51:12 PM »
Here, its far, far FAR less likely to be a natural disaster, unless the natural disaster is of of such massive scale and takes place elsewhere and whatever hits here, is the knock-on effects  of a more far off ground-zero. Its more likely to be something of the 'allahu akhbar' kind. It'll be sand-niggers if its anything, for bloody sure it will. HERE, its not in the city center where I live, so less likely to get carbombed, and away from any major tourist destinations or major public transport hubs, nightclubs etc. and not right next door to anything else that screams 'major towelhead-bait'.

The home itself I could defend with as mentioned, a fairly noxious chemical arsenal. Not pre-made 'official' chemical weapons, but enough highly hazardous materials to throw at an attacker, be they toxic, corrosive, incendiary or all of those, and if expecting repeat attacks after giving a group a very, very hostile meet-and-greet, then the ingredients for pipe bombs, self-igniting sulfuric acid layer with the napalm/sugar&chlorate paper-wrapped upgraded molotov cocktails, with white phosphorus added if I'm feeling particularly nasty and pissed at the fact that some towelhead mob just tried to storm the house. There's a sword and set of nunchaku for close quarters hand to hand fighting should a burglar carry a bat or a knife. Chemical assault for any armed with a gun, and if needs be, a mind that is inventive, and as a result capable of coming up with some pretty devious nasty surprises at short notice. There are some stolen weaponry that I am trying to have recovered atm, a dart rifle, airgun and something else. Also if I have to, whilst I've not practiced in a while, I used to practice throwing knives, and if surprised in the kitchen and not having some sort of nasty chemical in a beaker or flask and using the part of the kitchen at night, that is located right next to the door so I can ventilate nasty fumes and dissipate them without either coming to harm, or  doing any to neighbors, unless the neighbors decide to BE the burglars, that I don't see as too likely, despite not being ideally balanced, the big kitchen knife is heavy, and sharp, and something like hamstringing a home-invader posing a lesser threat would be easy enough. Or thrown for a kill shot to the neck if I had to. And I'd not be above stabbing a dangerous and armed attacker in the spine from behind or throwing a knife into their back to get their attention and following it up with a smack in the face with a big hammer, or a face full of something that eats faces and leaves a smoking hole in its wake. An attacker thats been blinded is an attacker that isn't going to be concentrating on anything but screaming and trying like hell to wash their eyes out before they are melted out of their head. I know that much, the one and only thing you think of after an eye-burn is 'my fucking EYES!!!!, fucking shit MY EYES!!' and cleaning them out, neutralizing the burn.

During which time of course I'd be busily hamstringing or spine-fucking and knocking the seven shades of shit out of a burglar with whatever heavy and/or pointy and sharp object.

For bug-out, big backpack, and plenty supplies to pack in it, the epicenter of a natural disaster is very unlikely to be here, so there'd be some time to throw some supplies together into it. Bottled water, agents that can chemically sterilize water, the food available at the time, immediately take out as much money as quickly as possible, seeing to my medical needs in whatever method necessary, basic supplies, both a good pocket knife with quality short and longer pocket-knife scale blades and various tools, plus a bigger, sturdier lock-blade that is heavier and stronger than the pocket knife blades for heavier duty work. I'd pack a basic set of the most useful chemicals for use as fire-starters, fuels, and flasks, tube of dow-corning vacuum grease to lubricate the joints, plus the ingredients for crafting items useful for trade, and for medical use, such as pain relieving and stimulant and sedative/hypnotic/anticonvulsant type uses. Crafting weaponry if needed, and explosives of both propellant type and HE charges for blasting in order to obtain more metals than a few blanks I can just use for quick and needed items. I'd take the small files, a larger one, a wood rasp, claw and lump hammer, and nails, screwdrivers and screws. Hand-cranked drill and bits of various sizes and both handheld small hacksaw and blades, and the bigger hacksaw and blades, plus a small, lightweight tungsten carbide abrasive wiresaw that can cut glass and ceramics and stone, wood saws. Don't have an axe but one could be made from iron bearing ores and charcoal reduction (so as not to waste non-replaceable, finite resources like aluminium or magnesium dust.)

A ball-mill chamber would be something I ought to build anyway, and that could be powered over long time by a water-wheel powered drive system. For making metal powders to use in thermite type casting. Plus the hardened steel shot to act as a grinding medium. Also I'd take reagent supplies for identifying minerals for potential refining and smelting to prepare metal tools I didn't take with me. I've also been wanting to put together a local map and country-wide map of the regional availability of 
minerals that can be put to use in serving as ores and specific localities where I can find deposits, and of what, to use the glass-drills I have to bore holes for charges to fracture the rock when, in the long term, mining for metals and teaching other survivors my metallurgy knowledge and survival chemistry to help people get themselves MORE important resources for rebuilding a society, such as nitric acid for explosives, and for leaching out metal salts from ores, other acid production, for batteries. Lead recycling for rebuilding lead battery electrodes, soldering. Spools of electrical wire and high-quality graphite electrodes for use in building an arc-welder to be powered by diesel/petrol fueled motors, the welding face shield and clear face shield and long gloves for chemistry work.

And things like epoxy adhesives DIY'ed, (glues and strong tape and whatever electrical supplies available and portable would be another thing on the list of things to take, as would metal blanks of brass and steel for crafting things like animal traps, the spring-ey part of a crossbow, rope, thinner string, guitar-strings that could be used for animal snare traps and sprung-peg snares that use the tension in a bent-over small tree trunk to catch an animal by the neck and either snap its neck or else strangle it to death if the tree trunk anchored with a short piece of cord to both the snare and a carved pair of wooden pegs to form a trigger thats set off by an animal as it blunders through the trap, snapping the tree-trunk up in the air (or alternatively, set to side-swipe with a row of barbed, sharpened stakes for impaling the dinner, and if it doesn't either kill or immobilize the prey  then severely wounding and allowing it to be tracked  by the blood trail until it is so weakened as not to be able to carry on.)

Of course thats the sort of nasty and cruel type of trap that I'd never use bar a survival situation,

I'd take bigger flasks for distilling water, and for use in distilling alcohol for easily ignitable fuel and some high surface area platinum-plated metal mesh for use in firestarting on an indefinite basis, via catalytic ignition of methanol vapor, the MeOH coming from the heads fraction of distilled drinking/disinfecting and of course both recreational and trading alcoholic spirits. With the platinized metal mesh or ceramic wool support etc. then that could be used for a very large number of ignitions, starting methanol fueled engines, although of course that sort of non-replaceable firestarter would not be traded for anything short of firearms and ammunition, and even then only small portions for a large trade of survival needs. And of course both gas masks and as many canisters as possible, taking more from the nearest sources of them, by lethal force if necessary. I'd fortify a DIY store, I think for use as a base of operations. After first stripping the pharmacies bare of medication in order to have both a large surplus of medicine for bartering, and for both caring for myself and offering my  services as a medic in whatever ways possible that didn't compromise my own needs to those who either are loved ones or those I already care for before TSHTF or at a price, if it took resources, to the wounded. I'd be more willing to help for less of course the less resources it took from me. More expensive treatments would cost more in barter. Be it food, needed information.

Here is a question-if TSHTF bigtime, who here knows for sure (not necessarily having done so, I can safely say I never have but do not possess the least doubt that if I had to to survive, that I could do so and keep it down) that they could eat people they knew to be fresh? or if needs be even direr, make sure a person-dinner is REALLY fresh as of just a few minutes ago?

In the case of the apocalypse, I reckon I'd be fairly well prepared
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2018, 09:40:37 PM »
In case of an electromagnetic pulse, I have a points-type distributor and carburetor for my '94 F-150.

Because it has the Windsor engine, I can swap the electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition for oldschool tech that will still work in a radioactive wasteland.  8)

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2018, 09:44:10 PM »
Here, its far, far FAR less likely to be a natural disaster, unless the natural disaster is of of such massive scale and takes place elsewhere and whatever hits here, is the knock-on effects  of a more far off ground-zero. Its more likely to be something of the 'allahu akhbar' kind. It'll be sand-niggers if its anything, for bloody sure it will. HERE, its not in the city center where I live, so less likely to get carbombed, and away from any major tourist destinations or major public transport hubs, nightclubs etc. and not right next door to anything else that screams 'major towelhead-bait'.

The home itself I could defend with as mentioned, a fairly noxious chemical arsenal. Not pre-made 'official' chemical weapons, but enough highly hazardous materials to throw at an attacker, be they toxic, corrosive, incendiary or all of those, and if expecting repeat attacks after giving a group a very, very hostile meet-and-greet, then the ingredients for pipe bombs, self-igniting sulfuric acid layer with the napalm/sugar&chlorate paper-wrapped upgraded molotov cocktails, with white phosphorus added if I'm feeling particularly nasty and pissed at the fact that some towelhead mob just tried to storm the house. There's a sword and set of nunchaku for close quarters hand to hand fighting should a burglar carry a bat or a knife. Chemical assault for any armed with a gun, and if needs be, a mind that is inventive, and as a result capable of coming up with some pretty devious nasty surprises at short notice. There are some stolen weaponry that I am trying to have recovered atm, a dart rifle, airgun and something else. Also if I have to, whilst I've not practiced in a while, I used to practice throwing knives, and if surprised in the kitchen and not having some sort of nasty chemical in a beaker or flask and using the part of the kitchen at night, that is located right next to the door so I can ventilate nasty fumes and dissipate them without either coming to harm, or  doing any to neighbors, unless the neighbors decide to BE the burglars, that I don't see as too likely, despite not being ideally balanced, the big kitchen knife is heavy, and sharp, and something like hamstringing a home-invader posing a lesser threat would be easy enough. Or thrown for a kill shot to the neck if I had to. And I'd not be above stabbing a dangerous and armed attacker in the spine from behind or throwing a knife into their back to get their attention and following it up with a smack in the face with a big hammer, or a face full of something that eats faces and leaves a smoking hole in its wake. An attacker thats been blinded is an attacker that isn't going to be concentrating on anything but screaming and trying like hell to wash their eyes out before they are melted out of their head. I know that much, the one and only thing you think of after an eye-burn is 'my fucking EYES!!!!, fucking shit MY EYES!!' and cleaning them out, neutralizing the burn.

During which time of course I'd be busily hamstringing or spine-fucking and knocking the seven shades of shit out of a burglar with whatever heavy and/or pointy and sharp object.

For bug-out, big backpack, and plenty supplies to pack in it, the epicenter of a natural disaster is very unlikely to be here, so there'd be some time to throw some supplies together into it. Bottled water, agents that can chemically sterilize water, the food available at the time, immediately take out as much money as quickly as possible, seeing to my medical needs in whatever method necessary, basic supplies, both a good pocket knife with quality short and longer pocket-knife scale blades and various tools, plus a bigger, sturdier lock-blade that is heavier and stronger than the pocket knife blades for heavier duty work. I'd pack a basic set of the most useful chemicals for use as fire-starters, fuels, and flasks, tube of dow-corning vacuum grease to lubricate the joints, plus the ingredients for crafting items useful for trade, and for medical use, such as pain relieving and stimulant and sedative/hypnotic/anticonvulsant type uses. Crafting weaponry if needed, and explosives of both propellant type and HE charges for blasting in order to obtain more metals than a few blanks I can just use for quick and needed items. I'd take the small files, a larger one, a wood rasp, claw and lump hammer, and nails, screwdrivers and screws. Hand-cranked drill and bits of various sizes and both handheld small hacksaw and blades, and the bigger hacksaw and blades, plus a small, lightweight tungsten carbide abrasive wiresaw that can cut glass and ceramics and stone, wood saws. Don't have an axe but one could be made from iron bearing ores and charcoal reduction (so as not to waste non-replaceable, finite resources like aluminium or magnesium dust.)

A ball-mill chamber would be something I ought to build anyway, and that could be powered over long time by a water-wheel powered drive system. For making metal powders to use in thermite type casting. Plus the hardened steel shot to act as a grinding medium. Also I'd take reagent supplies for identifying minerals for potential refining and smelting to prepare metal tools I didn't take with me. I've also been wanting to put together a local map and country-wide map of the regional availability of 
minerals that can be put to use in serving as ores and specific localities where I can find deposits, and of what, to use the glass-drills I have to bore holes for charges to fracture the rock when, in the long term, mining for metals and teaching other survivors my metallurgy knowledge and survival chemistry to help people get themselves MORE important resources for rebuilding a society, such as nitric acid for explosives, and for leaching out metal salts from ores, other acid production, for batteries. Lead recycling for rebuilding lead battery electrodes, soldering. Spools of electrical wire and high-quality graphite electrodes for use in building an arc-welder to be powered by diesel/petrol fueled motors, the welding face shield and clear face shield and long gloves for chemistry work.

And things like epoxy adhesives DIY'ed, (glues and strong tape and whatever electrical supplies available and portable would be another thing on the list of things to take, as would metal blanks of brass and steel for crafting things like animal traps, the spring-ey part of a crossbow, rope, thinner string, guitar-strings that could be used for animal snare traps and sprung-peg snares that use the tension in a bent-over small tree trunk to catch an animal by the neck and either snap its neck or else strangle it to death if the tree trunk anchored with a short piece of cord to both the snare and a carved pair of wooden pegs to form a trigger thats set off by an animal as it blunders through the trap, snapping the tree-trunk up in the air (or alternatively, set to side-swipe with a row of barbed, sharpened stakes for impaling the dinner, and if it doesn't either kill or immobilize the prey  then severely wounding and allowing it to be tracked  by the blood trail until it is so weakened as not to be able to carry on.)

Of course thats the sort of nasty and cruel type of trap that I'd never use bar a survival situation,

I'd take bigger flasks for distilling water, and for use in distilling alcohol for easily ignitable fuel and some high surface area platinum-plated metal mesh for use in firestarting on an indefinite basis, via catalytic ignition of methanol vapor, the MeOH coming from the heads fraction of distilled drinking/disinfecting and of course both recreational and trading alcoholic spirits. With the platinized metal mesh or ceramic wool support etc. then that could be used for a very large number of ignitions, starting methanol fueled engines, although of course that sort of non-replaceable firestarter would not be traded for anything short of firearms and ammunition, and even then only small portions for a large trade of survival needs. And of course both gas masks and as many canisters as possible, taking more from the nearest sources of them, by lethal force if necessary. I'd fortify a DIY store, I think for use as a base of operations. After first stripping the pharmacies bare of medication in order to have both a large surplus of medicine for bartering, and for both caring for myself and offering my  services as a medic in whatever ways possible that didn't compromise my own needs to those who either are loved ones or those I already care for before TSHTF or at a price, if it took resources, to the wounded. I'd be more willing to help for less of course the less resources it took from me. More expensive treatments would cost more in barter. Be it food, needed information.

Here is a question-if TSHTF bigtime, who here knows for sure (not necessarily having done so, I can safely say I never have but do not possess the least doubt that if I had to to survive, that I could do so and keep it down) that they could eat people they knew to be fresh? or if needs be even direr, make sure a person-dinner is REALLY fresh as of just a few minutes ago?

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2018, 10:29:25 PM »
Thats a great idea, keeping the capability to swap out the electronic fuel injection system with a carburetor, in case of an EMP. Although you'd probably have to be fairly close to anything other than a nuclear EMP. The worst case of a non-nuclear EMP would probably be the E1/E2 component, AFAIK non-nuclear devices lack the slow E3 component of a broad-spectrum EMP.

Although that doesn't apply to me, since I can't drive, I did take some lessons in the past, but I couldn't afford to continue them. And add seizures to that and it'd be a bad idea if I did, and the medical history in the last five years would quite likely mean that I'd be denied a license now. Although possibly not, considering most of my seizures occur..well it'd be nocturnal in most people, or at least, people who aren't nocturnal to begin with. I've only had a vanishingly small number of seizures within the past five years while I've been out during waking hours, two or three or so.

Although it might be possible for me to get a license, but I'm not about to try, even if the money to buy, maintain, tax etc. the car, fuel and all the other embuggerments of the wallet made themselves available as disposable income; since its still way too soon since one did happen and I don't want anyone getting hurt on my account if I can avoid it, and especially not to be directly responsible for it happening to some poor innocent(s)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.