Educational

Author Topic: How to Opt Out of Pranks--The Don't Prank Me List  (Read 14585 times)

purposefulinsanity

Re: How to Opt Out of Pranks--The Don't Prank Me List
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2007, 12:08:15 PM »
there's no way to clearly draw that line, PI, not if we want to remain unmoderated. the one way i know of is that those of us who would prefer not to be pranked have their wishes respected. it has to be a voluntary thing, and it has to be about respecting that member's wishes.

so maybe we should all learn how to respect and listen to other people better. that hasn't been my strong point, i know, but maybe it's not too late to change?

I think that this argument has a lot more validity than the highly emotive bullying one because although it still brings up some issues- for instance, is it wise to give those more sensitive people a false sense of security since it can't be enforced? (which possibly doesn't stop at the pranks, its possible that the fact we allow those people to put their name down on such a list also lends a false sense of security as far as how they're going to be treated in other areas)- but the bullying argument opens up a jumbo can of worms and sets of double standards that are going to be impossible to work through (some of which have already been pointed out).

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2007, 12:10:31 PM »
Which is why I'm coming around to wondering if
the only fair solution is to FORBID changing a
member's profile, without their consent. This
would keep admins from abusing their power
to avoid pranks BY the membership, as well as
keep any such actions from happening. I enjoy
the pranks at times - and don't feel that they're
that terrible a thing, but I am bothered by the
unequal positions which admins have, in this matter.

EDIT: this was in response to Callaway's post.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2007, 03:16:53 PM »
there's no way to clearly draw that line, PI, not if we want to remain unmoderated. the one way i know of is that those of us who would prefer not to be pranked have their wishes respected. it has to be a voluntary thing, and it has to be about respecting that member's wishes.

so maybe we should all learn how to respect and listen to other people better. that hasn't been my strong point, i know, but maybe it's not too late to change?

I think that this argument has a lot more validity than the highly emotive bullying one because although it still brings up some issues- for instance, is it wise to give those more sensitive people a false sense of security since it can't be enforced? (which possibly doesn't stop at the pranks, its possible that the fact we allow those people to put their name down on such a list also lends a false sense of security as far as how they're going to be treated in other areas)- but the bullying argument opens up a jumbo can of worms and sets of double standards that are going to be impossible to work through (some of which have already been pointed out).

agreed, and i don't have a solution. i don't want a moderated board, but i don't want people targeted because they put their names on a list, either.

maybe the rookie board actually did serve a purpose, after all? i'm thinking that it was a way to ease new members into the rest of the board, even if most people never used it. the fact that it was the only "safe" place here, albeit during a 30-day period, and that this was clearly pointed out, was perhaps more useful than i thought.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2007, 03:17:58 PM »
Which is why I'm coming around to wondering if
the only fair solution is to FORBID changing a
member's profile, without their consent. This
would keep admins from abusing their power
to avoid pranks BY the membership, as well as
keep any such actions from happening. I enjoy
the pranks at times - and don't feel that they're
that terrible a thing, but I am bothered by the
unequal positions which admins have, in this matter.

EDIT: this was in response to Callaway's post.

this is an excellent point.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2007, 03:18:38 PM »

agreed, and i don't have a solution. i don't want a moderated board, but i don't want people targeted because they put their names on a list, either.

maybe the rookie board actually did serve a purpose, after all? i'm thinking that it was a way to ease new members into the rest of the board, even if most people never used it. the fact that it was the only "safe" place here, albeit during a 30-day period, and that this was clearly pointed out, was perhaps more useful than i thought.
Pranks apply across all boards though. So the rookie board isnt going to help in that respect, though it may help weaker members. We need to ask ourselves if we want these weaker members.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2007, 03:20:13 PM »
Most new members seem to come in,
guns blazing. Our reputation precedes
us.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2007, 03:26:30 PM »
The rookie refuge was a flop cos hardly anyone posted in there-there wasn't much a sensitive noob could respond to so they always ventured out straight away.   Besides there's also the issue of how we could force other members to go easy on the ones that did restrict their posting to that one board without moderation or rules.  Also to be considered is that all of the people objecting to the pranks, in other words the more sensitive members the rookie refuge would 'protect' have been here a lot longer than 30 days.

If the sensitive noobs managed to restrict their posts to such a forum; and if the members all respected their right to ask us not to take the piss or be mean for the whole of that 30 days refuge period, can you imagine the shock they'd get when those 30 days were up.  :laugh:  If we were an evil board that would be a really cunning plan- lull them into a false sense of security with 30 days of everyone being nice to them, then bamm! hit them when they least expect with full Intensity force.  >:D

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »
I was actually worried that I couldn't LEAVE the newbie area.  :laugh:

I came in to defend against scrap's accusations.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2007, 05:33:02 PM »
what i meant about the rookie board was not as much that the n00bs would be untouchable there--because that was the unspoken agreement, wasn't it?--but the very fact that it existed, that there was a need for one.

and i agree that it didn't work the way it was intended.

- Albert Einstein

Scrapheap

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2007, 06:20:11 PM »

Of what??

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2007, 07:25:15 PM »

Of what??

When you first got banned, and thought it was Flagg.
I don't even much remember, but I figured that I had
to answer some of that shit, before I'd be accepted here.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2007, 08:47:35 AM »
Most new members seem to come in,
guns blazing. Our reputation precedes
us.
Also, their custom titles are set as:
Newbie - 0 to 9 posts
Rookie (be kind to me)- 10 to 24 posts
Fresh Meat-  25 to 49 posts.
After that, they become part of the chaos!
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

ozymandias

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2007, 11:35:24 AM »
Well, I guess I'd better put my name here on the list.  Not that I think it will do any good.  Especially since it may interfere with someones god given right to amuse themselves at others expense. ::) :finger:

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2007, 01:49:41 PM »
Robert N should be self actualizing like me, then he could take hits like a man.  I don't matter if you get shot down by a woman, as long as you know you tried your best.  Keep continuing to work on your game, and see if you can improve further.  Opt out pranks?  babies, that is who ops em out.  Learning how to cope adapt teaches you to fish for a life time.
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2007, 02:51:21 PM »
I laugh at My new avatar  :rofl:
Guardian of the Empire