Educational

Author Topic: What did you eat today?  (Read 110496 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What did you eat today?
« Reply #6585 on: January 11, 2019, 10:36:09 AM »
Then I remembered I bought mozzarella sticks so I'm cooking those in the oven for a snack.  8)

I love fried cheese. Mozzarella works well.

Just dip the cheese in egg then breadcrumbs, then shallow fry.
Cheese, in any form, is a yes from me.  :laugh:

Due to all the popularity of "self claiming" lactose intolerance (Which I think is bullshit, except in certain, fairly rare clinical cases) and supporting various almond, soy or other legume based milk substitutes,  there was a huge amount of unsalable dairy products over the past few years.

So we had a huge dairy product over production. Enter the undying entrepreneur.  NOW, we have an overage of cheese products on the market. All northern American made. Oddly (to me, anyway), most of the surplus seems to be Swiss style cheeses from all points north.

Not any of the fancy cheeses seem to be affected, but buying baby Swiss at a dollar per pound is awesome!

Cheese in any form is a YES from me too.
My sister is allergic to dairy. She had so many tests done to figure out why she was so ill and it showed up as an allergy. Once she cut that out of her diet, she was well again. If she has any at all, she gets really sick.

I did not mean to dismiss the few rare cases who are clinically allergic to various proteins and sugars found in dairy, but the band wagon jumping of ...  Oh you's Aspie. I think I am too or Hell you can not use dairy, maybe i can not either  or  Hey I heard somebody was allergic to nuts. I don't even like nuts so I am allergic, too  ...  This is the kind of bullshit I am talking about.

For every person faking an allergy to certain foods, not only raises an uncalled for alert, but the importance and even urgency of those ones who are in need of a real ALERT is diminished.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6586 on: January 11, 2019, 10:51:55 AM »
It created a market for the new gluten and dairy free candy. Candy that did not change, because the recipe was just coloured sugar decades ago already.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6587 on: January 11, 2019, 10:53:40 AM »
The Lidl just stocked up a bit too much on Blue Stilton for last Christmas. I don't mind a pound for just €3 at all.

:hyke:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6588 on: January 13, 2019, 03:23:31 PM »
The boyfriend made egg and bacon sandwiches on bagels for breakfast this morning. It was so good.

I didn't eat lunch but fed the fam. I was still full from breakfast.

About to cook chicken fajitas for dinner tonight with peppers and onions.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6589 on: January 13, 2019, 08:54:34 PM »
Leftover pancakes and sausage from yesterday's b'fast
Cheeseburger
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6590 on: January 13, 2019, 10:40:43 PM »
Then I remembered I bought mozzarella sticks so I'm cooking those in the oven for a snack.  8)

I love fried cheese. Mozzarella works well.

Just dip the cheese in egg then breadcrumbs, then shallow fry.
Cheese, in any form, is a yes from me.  :laugh:

Due to all the popularity of "self claiming" lactose intolerance (Which I think is bullshit, except in certain, fairly rare clinical cases) and supporting various almond, soy or other legume based milk substitutes,  there was a huge amount of unsalable dairy products over the past few years.

So we had a huge dairy product over production. Enter the undying entrepreneur.  NOW, we have an overage of cheese products on the market. All northern American made. Oddly (to me, anyway), most of the surplus seems to be Swiss style cheeses from all points north.

Not any of the fancy cheeses seem to be affected, but buying baby Swiss at a dollar per pound is awesome!

Cheese in any form is a YES from me too.

I say that anyone who dismisses things like dairy and gluten intolerance except in these "rare clinical cases" should be forced to spend a few hours in an enclosed space with me after I've consumed a few sandwiches and/or a bottle of milk.

They may change their tune.

This is a potentially dangerous misconception.

I am pretty lucky. I can eat pretty much anything. I won't die, I won't sh1t blood, my head won't swell up, I won't break out in welts.

What will happen is that my guts won't be able to digest lactose or the carbs in wheat. I will be nauseous, feel bloated, and I will be passing gas that smells like death.

I will also need to be in close proximity to a dunny for a day or two.

A few years back my family stayed in a holiday spot a couple of hours away from home. We had a nice little cabin with a separate room for my wife and I.

We went to a bloody awful restaurant. I ordered "gluten free" pizza, paid the extra $5 or whatever, and boy that gluten free base sure tasted like a regular pizza base. Because it was.

I woke up that night, no sign of my wife, door closed. I went looking for her, she was squeezed in beside our little daughter in a single bed. Breathing had become an issue for her, even with the windows open.

We drove back home the next day. Windows wound all the way down in the car as we scooted down the freeway at 110 km/h (70 mph). We made a couple of toilet stops at fast food places. And one urgent toilet stop behind a tree next to the freeway. It wasn't food poisoning, I know what food poisoning feels like.

Yeah, they sure worked me out. Gluten intolerance is imaginary except in rare clinical cases. They got that extra $5 for nothing. Haw haw haw.

I do eat cheese. I'm not allergic to lactose, just intolerant. If I eat 100g of cheese that contains 1% lactose, that 1g of lactose won't cause any major issues. If I drink half a litre of milk, that's 25g of lactose and that IS going to be a problem. Cheap cheeses that are high in lactose I try to avoid.

And I'm not taking a shot at you specifically DD, because some so-called experts make the same claims. Like I say, they are welcome to spend some time with me in an enclosed space after I've consumed things that cause these imaginary intolerances, and they can breath in the imaginary noxious fumes.

The problem is that some people conflate intolerance with allergy. Just because I can't digest something doesn't mean that I'm allergic to it. So if you give me an allergy test.... I'm not allergic to anything. Nuts, gluten, dairy, eggs. None of it.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6591 on: January 14, 2019, 12:40:36 AM »
@ MSL

Think that that is the whole point. Gluten free and dairy free is a hype. Few years ago we got a new bakery here. They started pushing this new bread, so good, because it was low on gluten. So, I asked about it, I'm an inquisitive girl.

It was bread suited for everyone, because it was clear that gluten were a big problem.
So, I asked if a gluten intolerant person could eat it. Sure, they said.

Then I asked what was in the bread. And I could not but conclude that there was gluten in the bread.

Yes, they said, but it's so low on gluten that anyone can eat it.

Have asked them to look up what gluten intolerance meant, because they could potentially get someone really ill.

There's this shop selling sweets and candy. Also dairy and gluten free candy. it's a shop where you can scoop a bag with mixed candy yourself. And most of the types of sweets they sell are unwrapped, and the scoops go from tray to tray.

Gluten free and dairy free is a hype. That's what this shop aims at.  But for a kid with very severe gluten intolerance, candy from that shop poses a health threat, because this shop goes for the hype and doesn't take the problem serious.

Your type of lactose intolerance is quite common, I thought. Just not common in populations where dairy has been part of the diet for millennia. I recall parents of children adopted from abroad getting g a warning to look out for lactose intolerance, the moment their child had grown out of needing formula.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6592 on: January 14, 2019, 01:25:05 AM »
There is certainly a large degree of hype. The problem is with making these sweeping, dismissive claims about food intolerances.

It actually suits me. If not for the excessive hype around gluten intolerance, for example, I would not be able to buy bread and pizza and things like that. Like a lot of people who think they are gluten intolerant, it's the carbs in wheat that I can't digest. "Gluten free" also means "wheat free" and I can digest the carbs in wheat free bread.

If not for the hype around dairy intolerance, I'd be stuck drinking black coffee. Now almost everywhere that sells coffee has soy milk available.

There was the time that I ordered a coffee with soy milk at McDonalds and it tasted funny. I realized later that they'd run out of soy milk and given me skim milk instead. Seeing as "dairy intolerance is imaginary" and all that. Thing is I'm lucky, I won't die even if I drink a gallon of milk. But being on a road trip and trying not to shit your pants between rest stops because some fuckwit thought dairy intolerance or gluten intolerance is imaginary..... is not a lot of fun.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6593 on: January 14, 2019, 06:12:29 PM »
Chicken, mashed potatoes, greens and cranberry sauce
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6594 on: January 14, 2019, 08:28:22 PM »
A bagel for breakfast. That's it. I'm awful about eating when I'm stressed. Ugh. I already know the spiel so I don't need the lectures  :P
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6595 on: January 14, 2019, 10:33:30 PM »
Just cereal. I'm hungry as it's lunchtime but I don't know what I'd like.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6596 on: January 14, 2019, 10:43:42 PM »
Odd day. I found a shipment of coconut at the grocer and it did not stink.
Today I have only eaten fresh coconut and various fruits. It is a really good coconut!

Double checked my supply of toilet paper already.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6597 on: January 15, 2019, 07:19:52 AM »
BF bbq'd Italian sausages last night because he knows it's my favourite thing to eat for breakfast. So I had two of those this morning. So good!
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6598 on: January 15, 2019, 01:54:20 PM »
Can't remember. Not enough cos I'm hungry.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6599 on: January 15, 2019, 07:24:13 PM »
Finally ate three meals today. 2 sausages for breakfast. Salad for lunch. Homemade Beef Lo Mein for dinner.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad