Educational

Author Topic: Post the things you love about Capitalism!  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post the things you love about Capitalism!
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2006, 02:59:08 AM »
Good points, techstepgenr8tion.

+

Offline Cryono

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2006, 05:29:51 AM »
The part I like best about capitalism is that it is proving my decade-old hypothesis that it is destined to fail thanks to a little thing called "human nature".  We, as humans, are programmed to accumulate as much as possible... it is in our nature to improve our lot in life.  The problem lies in scarcity.

1) For one person to gain, another must lose.  This implies that poverty is a necessary requisite to stay competitive and maintain growth.
2) With accumulation comes the resources for further accumulation.  This means that it is next to impossible for one born in poverty to live the American dream of working their way through the socioeconomic ranks via hard work and persistence despite what pro-capitalists say.

These reasons are the reason that our poverty rates are increasing while CEOs make record salaries (with bonuses) each year.  This is why our economy APPEARS to be doing well while looking at the mean average but when removing outliers the picture presented is far less optimistic.  This is why people like Warren Buffett can afford to eat filet mignon and bald eagle eggs for breakfast every morning for doing the same amount of work that a bricklayer who can barely afford to feed his family fried chicken does.  Now don't get me wrong... Bill Gates is awesome; he's donating as much or more than most NATIONS to medical research in AIDS and such.  Even so... without someone to scrub the toilets what would David Lesar, CEO of Halliburton, be doing with his time?  Scrubbing toilets.  Each job is just as important as the next and there's no justification for the vast disparity that exists in pay.

Let's look to China who has really come up with an ingenius form of a planned market economy.  The government takes control of the economy and molds it to market forces while increases in personal freedoms has gradually come to include increasing amounts of voting rights which will eventually put the general populace in control of the government.  Now, I could get into this very deeply but just take my word for it that the Chinese Communist Party (CCP or CPC) is in absolutely no danger right now.  China's economic growth has been unprecidented....  depending on who you reference, the average growth ranges anywhere from an unbelievable 8% to an unheard of 11% consistently over the past 30 years and slowed even just slightly as the rest of the Asian economies nearly fell apart in the past 5yrs.

Thinking about it carefully... it all comes down to accountability.  We should definitally be allowed freedoms up to the point that our actions impact the lives of another.  Now, for individuals this has far reaching implications.  For companies, even small that actions a corporation takes impacts the community around them in a very direct way.  Therefore, the community should have a say in the actions of the company.  This structure would work very much like our current corporate structure: each company would come out with an annual report detailing it's history and plans for the upcoming year related to it's future growth projections and then the people in that company's district would be given the opportunity to vote on the annual report... just like regular corporations except the stakeholders would be district citizens instead of just stockholders.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2006, 12:07:48 PM »
You make some good points, Cryono, even though I don't agree with all of them.

For example, you said:

Each job is just as important as the next and there's no justification for the vast disparity that exists in pay.

I am a stay at home mother.  Are you saying that I should receive the same pay as McJagger, who is a longshoreman?  If that is the case, why would he be motivated to work the long hours he sometimes works to just get the same pay he could get as a stay at home father?  Don't get me wrong, I love that I have been able to stay at home with my daughter and raise her and it is worth it to me to do it for no pay, because it is very important to me.  I feel lucky that I have been able to do this, but if I worked a traditional job, I would have been paid much more because my work would have had more value to people other than just my immediate family.  I think that people who provide something of value to more people are often paid more than those who provide something of value to fewer people and perhaps that is why a CEO is paid more than the person who scrubs his toilet.

Offline Cryono

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2006, 02:10:54 PM »

For example, you said:

Each job is just as important as the next and there's no justification for the vast disparity that exists in pay.

I am a stay at home mother.  Are you saying that I should receive the same pay as McJagger, who is a longshoreman?  If that is the case, why would he be motivated to work the long hours he sometimes works to just get the same pay he could get as a stay at home father?  Don't get me wrong, I love that I have been able to stay at home with my daughter and raise her and it is worth it to me to do it for no pay, because it is very important to me.  I feel lucky that I have been able to do this, but if I worked a traditional job, I would have been paid much more because my work would have had more value to people other than just my immediate family.  I think that people who provide something of value to more people are often paid more than those who provide something of value to fewer people and perhaps that is why a CEO is paid more than the person who scrubs his toilet.

Don't be confused, at no point did I ever say every job deserves equal pay, I said that there is no justification for the disparity that exists.  How does one justify that one person makes US$11.2 million annually (Chrysler CEOs salary right before the merger with Daimler) while the line workers are making US$40k a year?

thepeaguy

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 02:15:21 PM »

For example, you said:

Really? I was half-asleep while reading it. -_-zzZZZ

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2006, 04:05:01 PM »
The best thing about capitalism is that with enough money, I can buy your sorry ass. Yes, I mean *you*.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2006, 07:37:47 PM »
Capitalism is the only system that over any other system that seems to have worked over the years for the most part in the end.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2006, 07:41:43 PM »
is it survival of the most motivated to satisfy their greed?
Misunderstood.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2006, 07:52:57 PM »
In some but not all I believe, though it may have gotten worse over the years here and there.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2006, 08:01:40 PM »
i personally view that brief statement as the bottom line description of capitolism.
Misunderstood.

Offline drewtheyellow

• Aspie Elite
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2006, 08:18:23 PM »
Wow, thank goodness I am a horrible person then!  >:D ;D

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2006, 08:25:01 PM »
i personally view that brief statement as the bottom line description of capitolism.

FUCK YEAH!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline techstepgenr8tion

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2006, 10:14:35 PM »

I kinda view it as the bottom line of human nature, something we couldn't erase even if we wanted to (animal heirarchy being what it is and all) but oh well.

I also think Winston Churchill summed it up well when he said that democratic capitalism was the second worst system to...well...everything else.
Born into this world for one inherent purpose: to drop science and drop it heavy.