Educational

Author Topic: Post the things you love about Capitalism!  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post the things you love about Capitalism!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 03:11:24 AM »
v nice post, peter.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 03:24:54 AM »
Pure capitalism is efficient and flexible to begin with, but is inherently prone to converting to feudualism with time, as certain groups and individuals amass wealth and power and become entrenched in the system, reducing the common folk to economically-induced serfdom.  This process will always occur, but is greatly accelerated by governmental manipulations at the behest of economically powerful sponsors.
good one, pete.

life is cyclical.  human history and nature shows that.  i am just wondering how close we are to a rebellion occuring.
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 04:37:04 AM »
Peter is right.  8)

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 02:03:55 PM »
Capitalism works WITH the fact that people are selfish rather than trying to work against it or despite it.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline Kaze no Kae

• Part of the Chaos
  • Also known as Assassin
    • Project Legacy
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 02:27:22 PM »
Post the things you love about Capitalism!
Very little, if anything.
"Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che Guevera

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure." - Nelson Mandela

Project Legacy - Building the Future

richard

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »
i could be happy trading with shells and rocks again 8)

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 11:13:53 PM »
I live in the upper middle class, and am a member of a capitalist society.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 12:45:02 AM »
Capitallist Society work because everybody wants something.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 01:22:05 AM »
it works better if everybody GETS something.
Misunderstood.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 06:37:11 AM »
But everbody does even You McJaggerr do you not.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 07:58:39 AM »
No, it doesn't work better if everyone gets something, because then there isn't as much incentive to work.  Theoretically if everyone gets something, no matter who works, then everyone could choose not to work until the backup supply runs out.  And then the population will slowly die as precious supplies become unavailable, until there is only 1 person left, at which point they are no longer a member of an economy.

Offline Kiss_my_AS

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 08:34:27 AM »
Capitalism creates competition, which can be good for consumers. But it also creates winners and losers, and some of those losers are insurmountably ruined while some winners have done so well that only a loss of huge proportions could ruin them. All others keep trying to be one of the latter party.

The augmenting aspect of it is something I definitely appreciate; the fact there are people with insurmountable losses isn't. Not so much because they actually exist (that is inevitable in a competition), but there are too many of them. Newcomers on whichever market need guidance and protection, or else they'll be quickly pushed out by the 'big guys' who get stronger everytime they'll do such a thing.

Another negative thing about it is that succes is too much dependant on short-term demands rather than actual improvement. This can be seen whenever a company brings out yet another product that was nearly similar to the original (most notably in the mobile phone industry) but also when one of those 'individual and original but too small'-companies have to shut down or are eaten by a bigger fish.

If it weren't for the various social laws that most of us in the western world have, these problems would even be greater. However, because of the conflict with the 'work hard enough and you can become a mogul'-principle these laws will not create the greatest amount of profit that we could get from competition. That's because governments are afraid to loose the succesful (=rich) partys of their society, as they're good for investments and tax income.

I guess, no hope, that's most of the politicians of today will see that investing in intelligence and necessary means for survival are far more important things than to invest in money above all things (and think about those other things later). Roughly speaking we are only using like a quarter of our potential, as the other part of the whole is too weak to participate in the competition due their own problems.

I realize that this world will never be Utopia and I've also said that some problems will prove to be insurmountable without drastic measures, but in the way that most people are utilising capitalism right now, we are holding ourselves down.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 08:34:48 AM »
No, it doesn't work better if everyone gets something, because then there isn't as much incentive to work.  Theoretically if everyone gets something, no matter who works, then everyone could choose not to work until the backup supply runs out.  And then the population will slowly die as precious supplies become unavailable, until there is only 1 person left, at which point they are no longer a member of an economy.
have you ever heard about the concept of the invisible hand of the economy?
the importance of disposable income?
and how every dollar spent is actually generating 100= some odd dollars for the economy?
Misunderstood.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 11:27:05 AM »
I've heard of those concepts, but since they're kind of hard to understand muchless observe unless you are looking at a large scale economy, and you have detailed information on its operation for a long period of time, i think it is a bad idea to simply have faith that it is true.

Offline techstepgenr8tion

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2006, 02:45:18 AM »
it works better if everybody GETS something.

If your saying get what they need independent of labor rather than needing to work to earn it there's a major motivational problem. Here's an experiment I might suggest - next time you need your car worked on take it to a mechanic, find out what it'll cost to get it fixed, and pay them before they have completed the job or before they even start. Then keep track of how long it takes em. The problem with us as a society is while some people will do things just for the sake of taking pride without the screws needing to be put to them most people can't summon the motivation and the trouble is when things get too easy people get acclimated, they'll fight tooth and nail to keep that new amount of ground in terms of wanting to get more for less, and its a direction where once you head off toward that you have a very difficult time doing that. When you look at the riots that happened a couple of years ago in France, didn't that happen because they had something close to a zero-firing policy with workers and that they were getting ready to change things to how businesses deal with that here in the US? Again, I think people tend to always want more, even if they're new pattern of action is rotting away the foundations of what gives them what they have today to where it jeopardizes their tommorow they still want that to magically dissappear or be someone elses problem, they take things for granted that they do have, and tend to be furious to lose what they were already taking for granted just because most people are inherently selfish wether it's deliberate or not and I think the fact that we naturally have that need for social heirarchy pretty much means you could have robots doing all the work, us all living in the lap of luxury without having to do a thing for it, and the world would still be a crime-ridden sesspool maybe even more violent than it is now and just much filled with all kinds of assholes and problems. What I kind of think is that the only thing really keeping us from reverting back to pure-bread monkeys is the hammering and discipline that society instills on that - meaning without work and without having to toil for what we want it directly rots integrety. Yeah it sucks but I think its just inherently part of what we are - animals that have tried to train ourselves to be something else and somehow through religion and then the repealing of religion have now forgotten just what it is we are or what we have to do in order to keep ourselves in check.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 02:52:34 AM by techstepgenr8tion »
Born into this world for one inherent purpose: to drop science and drop it heavy.