Author Topic: Computer advice and stuff  (Read 484 times)

Offline Praetor

• Constant Poster
Computer advice and stuff
« on: June 07, 2006, 04:04:44 AM »
Hello Ive been AWOL the last week or so due to my computers Radeon 9800pro graphics card blowing on me. I thought at first it had overheated in this English summer weather weve been having lately but after closely examing it with my brother it actually just blew!? Feckin ATI shite

So ive gone back to Nvidia assumed my motherboard had PCI Express being the moron that I am I realised only too late that It only had bog standard PCI slots so rather then sending the card back i just thought sod it get another motherboard with a PCI-E slot

Ive got a P4c800-E Asus motherboard with an Intel P4 2.4ghz processor thats 2+ years old now (the processor that is) its socket 478 though and i noticed all the new fancy boards have gone to this new socket level 775 something.

Ive found there are still socket 478 boards out there with PCI-E ports that my graphics card can plug into...infact there going for ?25 which leads me to suspect its going to be out of date very quickly but considering i dont really play the most up to date smashing games in high graphics settings I think it wouldn't be too much of a pay off.

Anyway my question is. Is it worth me just getting a new socket 478 board with PCI-E or should I just take the plunge and get a new CPU in socket LGA775? and flog the rest on E-bay or whatever?