Author Topic: My ask away thread  (Read 30537 times)

The_P

Re: My ask away thread
« Reply #675 on: May 24, 2007, 07:30:55 AM »
So, was there a point where you kinda
gave up on school for yourself?

I stayed on at school to do a-levels after my GCSE's (I left at 18), I then went on to college and did the first year of a teacher training course (which I got high marks for), but I left after the first year (partly because I realised I couldn't be a teacher, but also because I found each day I had to go and be around these people a trial.

When my older two kids were younger I went back to college, did more a-levels, and then started a midwifery course at university.  I had the same problem with the people there that I always did at school (I assumed people were friends and I was too trusting-they gossiped about me or treated me as a mug- one 'friend' asked for help with her assignments but really wanted me to write them for her).  It was whilst I was there that I found out about my son having AS and it was a tough time- as part of the course we had full time work placements, working shifts, and he couldn't cope with the constant changes in routine.  So eventually I gave that up.

I want to go back to university in the future, but I know that I'll face the same challenges when I do- I can cope with being around people for a while but it doesn't take long before it all becomes too painful to cope with.  Plus I know that I've developed a defence mechanism to protect myself from the people who assume I am stupid- I give up before I can fail (despite knowing that I've never failed at the other stuff I did stick at, but logic doesn't really come into this shit).

Wow with the teacher and midwife stuff, Mel.

Boo at the knobheaded friends.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #676 on: May 24, 2007, 07:33:45 AM »
No wow needed since I didn't finish either course- but I knew deep down I wouldn't be happy being a teacher- there's too many pointless rules to follow surrounding 'best practice' which change depending which ideas are in vogue at the moment. I think I would have enjoyed being a midwife though- although the 'best practice' issue is something that comes up with that job too.

The_P

« Reply #677 on: May 24, 2007, 07:35:12 AM »
No wow needed since I didn't finish either course- but I knew deep down I wouldn't be happy being a teacher- there's too many pointless rules to follow surrounding 'best practice' which change depending which ideas are in vogue at the moment. I think I would have enjoyed being a midwife though- although the 'best practice' issue is something that comes up with that job too.

I don't care that you didn't finish the courses -- I still think what you did was cool.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #678 on: May 24, 2007, 07:38:39 AM »
Thanks :)   I think once the kids are older I'll have to look for something that isn't so people orientated :laugh:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #679 on: May 24, 2007, 02:40:11 PM »
If you lie to yourself, is it really a lie?

That's the question really. I don't know- my initial response is to say yes, but I guess it comes down to whether other people are involved.

Because the obvious follow up is,
if you have successfully deluded yourself,
and then tell what you believe, surely the
latter can't be considered a lie?

Normally, one doesn't lie to themself, in order
to lie to others (sometimes - the very good do),
so is one to be held fully culpable for sugar-coating
their perceptions?

Wouldn't my whole concept of change be in
danger of simply being called a lie then?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #680 on: May 29, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
i am looking for your best guess, unless you know the answer for certain.

what is your personal record for days in a row having sex?
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #681 on: May 30, 2007, 03:45:38 AM »
I've never kept a tally and I couldn't even attempt a guess- before we had kids though we had sex at least once everyday.  Do you know your own 'record'?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #682 on: May 30, 2007, 06:15:32 AM »
I've never kept a tally and I couldn't even attempt a guess- before we had kids though we had sex at least once everyday.  Do you know your own 'record'?
i would guess one or two months.

i would like to say a year, but i am certain that there has to have neen some reason why it didn't happen one day.
Misunderstood.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #683 on: May 30, 2007, 12:37:10 PM »
Thanks again for the Supernatural link. I've finished watching Season 2 now.  ;D

What did you think of the season finale?

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #684 on: May 30, 2007, 12:40:34 PM »
I haven't watched it yet  :o   We've had so many problems with the internet in recent weeks that I've not dare attempt to watch any for a while- I think I'm only on about episode 3 (I was still watching season 1 when I sent you the link). Is it a good one?

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #685 on: May 30, 2007, 03:10:45 PM »
I finished it that fast because I watched it religiously before I came to Oz and wasn't that far behind.  :laugh: The season finale was good overall, but there was one thing I didn't like about it...I won't ruin it for you though.  ;)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #686 on: June 01, 2007, 06:35:59 AM »
did you just shave dunc's nutters or did you take it all off?
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #687 on: June 01, 2007, 06:46:45 AM »

I did it all- it would have looked weird with a halo of hair round the bald patch.

BTW- any tips for getting the taste of shaving foam out of your mouth?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #688 on: June 01, 2007, 07:04:52 AM »

I did it all- it would have looked weird with a halo of hair round the bald patch.

the taste of semen helps.
Misunderstood.

ozymandias

« Reply #689 on: June 01, 2007, 09:33:31 AM »

Ah, the rewards of being a good hubby! :eyebrows:  Rinsing out with a strong mouthwash might help or some peppermint tea might do the trick.  When I shave my face, sometimes a little shaving foam gets into my mouth.....yuck.