Educational

Author Topic: "armchairing critiquing"  (Read 2875 times)

Kosmonaut

Re: "armchairing critiquing"
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 11:53:21 AM »
If a mod wants to copy or move the pertinent posts from that thread into here, it might make it more understandable.

where are the mods when you need them ?
Anyhow, i don't know if it would make it understandable or not. It seems all greek to me  ???

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »
i have a quick question:

would it help if people just stated something and clarified that it was only their opinion?

In a lot of cases, yes.  However, there can still be questions as to how they came to that conclusion.  At the minimum, it would change the emphasis from proof to explanation.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 11:54:58 AM »
i have a quick question:

would it help if people just stated something and clarified that it was only their opinion?

In a lot of cases, yes.  However, there can still be questions as to how they came to that conclusion.  At the minimum, it would change the emphasis from proof to explanation.
i would assume that the answer would usually lie in personal bias/ prejudice.
Misunderstood.

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 11:57:45 AM »
i have a quick question:

It's certainly one of many possibilities.  It would depend on the nature of the claim, really.

And what's wrong with wanting to examine those biases and prejudices?  (Not directed at you, McJ.  Just an open question.)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 12:00:36 PM »
i have a quick question:

It's certainly one of many possibilities.  It would depend on the nature of the claim, really.

And what's wrong with wanting to examine those biases and prejudices?  (Not directed at you, McJ.  Just an open question.)
nothin wrong with that at all.
i just think that it is awfully difficult to escape our influences.
Misunderstood.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 12:06:20 PM »
Pretty sure I say that the vast majority of my opinions are based on personal experience.   That is what makes them opinions and not facts.   If I was stating my opinions like they are facts, that is a different story altogether.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 12:19:46 PM »
i have a quick question:

nothin wrong with that at all.
i just think that it is awfully difficult to escape our influences.

I very much agree.  It's even more difficult if we never stop to think how those influences....well, influence us.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 12:20:58 PM »
i find that the more i try to run from my own upbringing, the more i am controlled by it.
Misunderstood.

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 12:23:26 PM »
i find that the more i try to run from my own upbringing, the more i am controlled by it.

As you have said yourself in other threads, you have to pick your battles.  However, there is no hope if you don't really understand the nature of those battles to begin with.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 12:24:42 PM »

As you have said yourself in other threads, you have to pick your battles.  However, there is no hope if you don't really understand the nature of those battles to begin with.

true.

i will step aside now.  i just wanted to see if i was understanding this thread.
Misunderstood.

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 12:26:08 PM »

true.

i will step aside now.  i just wanted to see if i was understanding this thread.

Not as much fun as having flo cum all over your face, huh?  ;)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 12:27:06 PM »

true.

much moreso.  by far.
Misunderstood.

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 12:29:26 PM »

true.

much moreso.  by far.

Sometimes, the ciritical analysis is best avoided.   :lol:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 12:47:57 PM »
This thread has been created to continue the discussion started here:  http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php?topic=5528.msg251183#msg251183

This discussion was actually a derailment of the original topic.  As that topic has now been renewed there.  I felt it better to move this side discussion to it's own thread.

I apologize for the disjointed nature.  If a mod wants to copy or move the pertinent posts from that thread into here, it might make it more understandable.

I attempted to move all the posts here that were pertinent to this discussion, and I modified your initial post to change the thread title back to what it was before.  If I missed any posts, please let me know.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:38:18 PM by Callaway »

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 01:18:45 PM »
This thread has been created to continue the discussion started here:  http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php?topic=5528.msg251183#msg251183

This discussion was actually a derailment of the original topic.  As that topic has now been renewed there.  I felt it better to move this side discussion to it's own thread.

I apologize for the disjointed nature.  If a mod wants to copy or move the pertinent posts from that thread into here, it might make it more understandable.

I attempted to move all the posts here tht were pertinent to this discussion, and I modified your initial post to change the thread title back to what it was before.  If I missed any posts, please let me know.

Thank you!   :plus: