Educational

Author Topic: "armchairing critiquing"  (Read 2874 times)

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
"armchairing critiquing"
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:14:27 PM »
I guess I am one of the rare examples of those who were helped by therapy Hadron.   There just might be very few therapists who are worth a damn.   I have seen quite a few in my time and only one was really good.   I have had plenty of bad advice come from therapists, but not all are bad and worthless.

Mordok criticizes a good deal of people's posts, but I see very little of his own opinions put out there for others to criticize.   Maybe I should just post wiki articles that back up everything I say, like I was doing when I first started posting here.   Google search sometimes is too much work for me while I am trying to study or actually working at my job it seems.   I like to speak from personal experiences and it is hard to trust statistics sometimes.   Sociology is also bullshit and just makes for stereotypes far too often.   I trust what I see with my own eyes more, though it is even a smaller sample size in most cases.

*sigh* And the thread had just gotten back on topic too....

When I have an opinion I feel worth sharing, I will do so.  If you wish to know my opinions about something specific, feel free to ask.  I have an "Ask me anything" thread located here:  http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php?topic=5191.0  Or hell, give me a call out if you think it's something sinister and would like to make it an accusation.

And, as a reminder to both you and Hadron:
"There are no boundaries here over what may be said, save for one rule - be prepared to back up your words. Or face the wrath of the community."
From the front page of this site:  http://www.intensitysquared.com/

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:45:10 PM by Callaway »

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
Re: No no no no
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 11:24:02 PM »
Why would I need to make accusations when I don't know your opinions to begin with?   They are asked in threads all over this board to the community, yours just are rarely there to see from what I can tell.   Why should I use your ask away thread anyways?    I don't really care about your opinion on really any subject, so there is no point.  They seem to be rather generic and held commonly by most people I meet that are around my age from the few things I have actually read.  Feel free to keep armchairing critiquing though.   I really doubt I would take you seriously enough to even consider your opinions sinister.   This is the internet afterall.

I read that every time almost.   That is a part of why I actually put my opinions out there.  I don't mind being critisized by those who are also courageous enough to put their opinions out there themselves.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
"armchairing critiquing"
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 11:44:03 PM »
This thread has been created to continue the discussion started here:  http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php?topic=5528.msg251183#msg251183

This discussion was actually a derailment of the original topic.  As that topic has now been renewed there.  I felt it better to move this side discussion to it's own thread.

I apologize for the disjointed nature.  If a mod wants to copy or move the pertinent posts from that thread into here, it might make it more understandable.

edit:  And now Callaway has done just that.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:15:39 PM by mordok »

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
Re: "armchairing critiquing"
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 11:44:21 PM »
Why would I need to make accusations when I don't know your opinions to begin with?

And yet you just made one or two in that response.

They are asked in threads all over this board to the community, yours just are rarely there to see from what I can tell.

This is largely true.  Although, I fail to see why this is such a problem to you.  Particularly considering...
I don't really care about your opinion on really any subject, so there is no point.

Feel free to keep armchairing critiquing though.

I intend to.  Everyone needs a hobby.  >:D
Although, would you be so kind as to explain what the difference is between armchairing[sic] critiquing and a regular critique?

I really doubt I would take you seriously enough to even consider your opinions sinister.   This is the internet afterall.

Sinister as in not for the reasons I claim.  Not as in evil.  Perhaps I should have said 'dubious'.

I read that every time almost.   That is a part of why I actually put my opinions out there.  I don't mind being critisized by those who are also courageous enough to put their opinions out there themselves.

Hint to the first point above:  there is an implied accusation in this statement.

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
Re: No no no no
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 11:45:21 PM »
I really do not want to derail this again after SG's very notable post.  So I have placed my answer over in a new thread:
http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php?topic=5554.0

edit:  This post is no longer pertinent to the discussion due to the merging posts and can be safely ignored.  Either that or enjoy the circular link.  :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:19:50 PM by mordok »

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 12:15:36 AM »
i think Mordok gives much of himself here. much that others could critisize if they were so recli...i mean inclined. :P
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Scrapheap

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 12:56:26 AM »
Why not make this a callout??

Kosmonaut

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 02:50:38 AM »
what does armchairing critiquing mean ?

The_P

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 07:53:45 AM »

Pejorative term for amateur critics, I suppose.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 07:55:55 AM »

It was supposed to be armchair critiquing.   I went to bed right after hitting submit lol.   It means he doesn't give his unique opinions and just sits back and snipes from the comfort of his chair on other people's posts.  Kind of like armchair quarterbacking as far as people calling in on sports talk radio and pissing on players while sitting in their chairs all day.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 08:12:46 AM »
Accused myself of not knowing your opinions for the most part?   Saying "me too" isn't an opinion really, no need for me to make accusations on those types of opinions.   I am however accusing you of just giving someone else's opinion and not thinking up anything yourself.   I would rather not be careful anymore and just put myself out there at the risk of being an ass.

This is largely true.  Although, I fail to see why this is such a problem to you.  Particularly considering...
It isn't a problem to me, just makes you out to be nothing more than someone who critisizes without offering anything constructive.

I intend to.  Everyone needs a hobby.  >:D
Although, would you be so kind as to explain what the difference is between armchairing[sic] critiquing and a regular critique?
You don't put yourself out there, mostly you agree with someone else on opinionated matters.    Your ass is rarely put on the line.   There is nothing courageous about spouting off opinions that you just looked up on Google search to find your stance on.   This is what I see most of the time on the internet anyways, you are no different.

Sinister as in not for the reasons I claim.  Not as in evil.  Perhaps I should have said 'dubious'.
Still doubt I would care enough to judge what you do in your personal life.   Maybe if you put your children in direct danger, but I don't see you doing that thankfully.

Hint to the first point above:  there is an implied accusation in this statement.
Not really implied in my opinion.   The only field where people on this site are ever not remotely PC is that of sex.   Everywhere else it is pure political correctness for the most part.   You fall right in line most of the time.   That isn't your own opinion, it mostly comes across as you being a parrot to me.   Nothing unique or original about it at all.

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 09:13:05 AM »
Accused myself of not knowing your opinions for the most part?   Saying "me too" isn't an opinion really, no need for me to make accusations on those types of opinions.   I am however accusing you of just giving someone else's opinion and not thinking up anything yourself.   I would rather not be careful anymore and just put myself out there at the risk of being an ass.

And your supporting evidence of this is where?  The board has a search feature.  Feel free to use it.

Quote from: Alex179
Quote from: mordok
It isn't a problem to me, just makes you out to be nothing more than someone who critisizes without offering anything constructive.

Critiques are not constructive?

You don't put yourself out there, mostly you agree with someone else on opinionated matters.

I was not aware that all opinions must be unique and that no agreement or consensus was allowed.

Your ass is rarely put on the line.

My ass is as much on the line with every post I make as yours is with each of yours.  I tend towards critiquing and refinement of others' arguments.  That doesn't make my analysis correct.  My critiques can be shredded just as easily as your opinions if there is a flaw or weakness in them.

There is nothing courageous about spouting off opinions that you just looked up on Google search to find your stance on.   This is what I see most of the time on the internet anyways, you are no different.

First you say that I never put opinions out there.  Now you say that I do but they come from google.  If you wish to attack me, at least be consistent.

Still doubt I would care enough to judge what you do in your personal life.   Maybe if you put your children in direct danger, but I don't see you doing that thankfully.

I thought we were discussing the merits of opinions vs. critiques and how one is supposedly courageous while the other is not.  When did my personal life enter into this?

Not really implied in my opinion.

Actually, I agree.  However, I was attempting to be open-minded considering you claimed in your first paragraph in that post that you weren't making accusations.  I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt rather than assume that you couldn't be internally consistent for the duration of even a single post.

The only field where people on this site are ever not remotely PC is that of sex.   Everywhere else it is pure political correctness for the most part.   You fall right in line most of the time.   That isn't your own opinion, it mostly comes across as you being a parrot to me.   Nothing unique or original about it at all.

Oh heavens!  I share some of the same opinions as others.  I could not possibly have arrived at them independently.  Obviously I am just parroting others in the hopes that people will accept and love me.   And when that fails, I turn to the mighty google.  ::)

But wait, how could you have reached this conclusion?  You said earlier that you did not know my opinions:
Why would I need to make accusations when I don't know your opinions to begin with?

So which is it, you don't know them or you do and think them unoriginal?

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 09:30:26 AM »
The fact that they come from Google sometimes (or wiki) makes them:
Unoriginal and not really your own opinions.   They do not seem to be your own individual thought processes.   That is why I do not know them, they aren't really there to begin with.   True opinions come from within and are verified by personal experience along with data, not just Google search and wikipedia.   This probably can be held true for the some of my "opinions" as well.   I don't always take the time to formulate my own original opinion either and then put it out there.

I was not making the accusation that you were looking for actually.   You wanted me to say you are sinister or dubious based on your opinions.   That was the accusation I did not make.  The only way I would ever say someone is sinister is based on their actions in their personal life.   Internet posting isn't something I would use the word sinister to describe or even evil for that matter.

If they were constructive they would offer solutions instead of just pure criticisim.  Though telling me to use the search feature could be considered constructive lol.   Maybe if I didn't have work to do here every so often I would skim through more posts.

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 11:31:01 AM »
The fact that they come from Google sometimes (or wiki) makes them:
Unoriginal and not really your own opinions.   They do not seem to be your own individual thought processes.   That is why I do not know them, they aren't really there to begin with.   True opinions come from within and are verified by personal experience along with data, not just Google search and wikipedia.   This probably can be held true for the some of my "opinions" as well.   I don't always take the time to formulate my own original opinion either and then put it out there.

You've already made this claim.  You have yet to even attempt to prove it.

I was not making the accusation that you were looking for actually.   You wanted me to say you are sinister or dubious based on your opinions.   That was the accusation I did not make.  The only way I would ever say someone is sinister is based on their actions in their personal life.   Internet posting isn't something I would use the word sinister to describe or even evil for that matter.

Believe it or not, I'm not looking for any accusations.  You have at the very least implied that I am somehow not courageous.  But that is beside my point.

What I am looking for is what your reason is for begrudging me the right to critique what others say.

If they were constructive they would offer solutions instead of just pure criticisim.  Though telling me to use the search feature could be considered constructive lol.

So they are both not constructive and yet constructive.   ???

Additionally, there's many, many ways for a critique to be constructive in this setting.  Here's one just for starters -- Pointing out a flaw or lack of evidence in the poster's argument.  If the poster then goes back and clarifies or enhances his argument, was this not constructive?  In my opinion, it is more constructive than simply handing them a solution as it makes them go back and THINK about what they've said.  If your point means enough to you to make the argument, be willing to back it up.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 11:47:21 AM »
i have a quick question:

would it help if people just stated something and clarified that it was only their opinion?
Misunderstood.