Educational

Author Topic: shegottawedgieinherbootyandherbootygottawedgie  (Read 6341 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: shegottawedgieinherbootyandherbootygottawedgie
« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2007, 07:44:50 AM »
Wellllllllllllllllllllll, I think what I'll do instead is set theory mixed with (general)Topology. Most Topologists are algebraists as well.

There are other kinds of Topologists too, but Algebraic Topoology is interesting.

Do you teach?

Offline ANTON_UBER_ALLES

• King of Drama
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #166 on: August 30, 2007, 08:53:40 AM »
Thankfuly no. What interest you about Algebraic Topology in particular?
To tmia pulumchva nac vatieche evistho, aomai nac murinash aule. Thuvas sheronaith themiasa avilchval aomai marashm. Sanshl selace, etanal unialastres thamuce avish fleresh holaiesh sanshl tiur il  :cthulhu:

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2007, 11:14:49 AM »

I think Perelman's proof of the Poincare conjecture was the most interesting thing in a very long time. 

I know at least one mathematician who spent his whole adult life trying to prove it.  I can't believe Perelman turned down a Fields Medal.

What about Algebraic Topology interests you?

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2007, 11:37:25 AM »

I think Perelman's proof of the Poincare conjecture was the most interesting thing in a very long time. 

I know at least one mathematician who spent his whole adult life trying to prove it. I can't believe Perelman turned down a Fields Medal.

I can, if I ever solved something that big I would go and hide. Publicity is an annoyance when you achieve something that big. As he implied, a Fields medal is meaningless, the people judging it are on a different level to him.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2007, 12:10:27 PM »

I know at least one mathematician who spent his whole adult life trying to prove it. I can't believe Perelman turned down a Fields Medal.

I can, if I ever solved something that big I would go and hide. Publicity is an annoyance when you achieve something that big. As he implied, a Fields medal is meaningless, the people judging it are on a different level to him.

Do you know what a Fields Medal is, Hadron?

Do you know without looking it up who the other recipients of the Fieds Medal were the year when Perelman declined it?

Perelman is much more famous then they are, and he declined it, so of what use was turning down the Fields Medal? 

If you don't want to be famous among mathematicians, then don't do anything important.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2007, 12:40:26 PM »

Do you know what a Fields Medal is, Hadron?

Do you know without looking it up who the other recipients of the Fieds Medal were the year when Perelman declined it?

Perelman is much more famous then they are, and he declined it, so of what use was turning down the Fields Medal? 

If you don't want to be famous among mathematicians, then don't do anything important.
Yep, i read up on the Fields medal a while ago, its a mathematical equivalent of the Nobel Prize. I wouldnt know the names off the top of the head, but none of them did solve a millenium prize problem did they? Would you rather he didnt show his solution then? As for myself, if I did solve one of those problems, i think I could cover up my tracks suffieciently.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2007, 12:48:26 PM »
Yep, i read up on the Fields medal a while ago, its a mathematical equivalent of the Nobel Prize. I wouldnt know the names off the top of the head, but none of them did solve a millenium prize problem did they? Would you rather he didnt show his solution then? As for myself, if I did solve one of those problems, i think I could cover up my tracks suffieciently.

Of course not.  I just think it is a little silly for him to be concerned about being well known after he solved the Poincare Conjecture.

I was ticked off at the people who tried to steal his work and downplay his contribution.

If you do something famous but cover your tracks because you shun publicity, someone else will steal your work and try to take credit for it too.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2007, 12:57:11 PM »
you won't last long as an academic if that's your attitude, hadron.  but then, you have to achieve something worth geting excited about, first.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2007, 01:04:27 PM »
you won't last long as an academic if that's your attitude, hadron.  but then, you have to achieve something worth geting excited about, first.
The chance of most academics being in that position is very slim. Most discoveries I would openly publish, but if something was going to give me that level of trouble, I would just publish it anonymously.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2007, 01:05:39 PM »

Of course not.  I just think it is a little silly for him to be concerned about being well known after he solved the Poincare Conjecture.

I was ticked off at the people who tried to steal his work and downplay his contribution.

If you do something famous but cover your tracks because you shun publicity, someone else will steal your work and try to take credit for it too.
There is a trade off for retaining privacy unfortuantly. I dont blame him for wanting to hideaway, that level of publicity could finish someone like him.

Offline ANTON_UBER_ALLES

• King of Drama
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2007, 01:25:44 PM »
Hey people, what about the Continuum Hypothesis?
To tmia pulumchva nac vatieche evistho, aomai nac murinash aule. Thuvas sheronaith themiasa avilchval aomai marashm. Sanshl selace, etanal unialastres thamuce avish fleresh holaiesh sanshl tiur il  :cthulhu:

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2007, 01:31:17 PM »
Hey people, what about the Continuum Hypothesis?

I think it is independent of the axioms of set theory.

What do you think about it?

Offline ANTON_UBER_ALLES

• King of Drama
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2007, 03:38:02 PM »
I believe very strngly that it is false. But the question is: How do you prove/disprove it??

Offline bigbabbyblue75

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2007, 04:53:32 PM »
Mithbusters just did a show on Hypothesis and busted it sayed it dont work i never had it done but i always want to learn how.

ozymandias

« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2007, 06:25:38 PM »
ozy, i believe.

In the words of the great philosopher...........................well, I could say something nasty, but, I won't.  The bottom line is, while you were away over the winter, there was much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth over the lack of new members AND members who would  stir things up around here and provide fodder for the cannon, so to speak.  Ranazu was consistently chafing over the rules at AI about language and vulgar topics.  I offered this place as a possibility for him to let go and be as crazy, vulgar, etc.  As he wanted, I mentioned this to the members and to quote.  "Fresh Meat" was the phrase mentioned by several members here.  ODEON being one of them.  So he finally came here, if people don't like it, they can stuff it.  CHILL OUT for fucking sake.  You  (the forum) wanted stuff like this, you got it and now your bitching........ ::)  It's a good thing I'm going to be gone for a weekend and will have my own chance to chill out.   The peevishness demons are nipping at my brain!