Author Topic: Photo Thread.  (Read 144386 times)

Scrapheap

Re: Photo Thread.
« Reply #7515 on: January 21, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
coke probably

(not alcohol anyway lol)

Wuss!!!  :finger:

Start drinking up you fucking teetotaler!!! :glug: :fiveshots:

Being free from alcohol is NOT a bad thing.

Give her some space, you drunkard spazz.

Do you need a dollar to go buy a sense of humor??

TheoK

« Reply #7516 on: January 22, 2011, 05:05:18 AM »
A German hand grenade, made of nipolit. It has no metal case. Except for the detonator the entire grenade is made of nipolit. Nipolit was an explosive made of recycled cannon powder. It was about as powerful as dynamite and could be shaped into almost anything, since it was very insensitive to shock and friction. The Germans made raincoats of it, so that they could carry explosives openly in areas occupied by the Allies(!)

P7PSP

« Reply #7517 on: January 22, 2011, 05:18:16 AM »
A German hand grenade, made of nipolit. It has no metal case. Except for the detonator the entire grenade is made of nipolit. Nipolit was an explosive made of recycled cannon powder. It was about as powerful as dynamite and could be shaped into almost anything, since it was very insensitive to shock and friction. The Germans made raincoats of it, so that they could carry explosives openly in areas occupied by the Allies(!)
:thumbup:

TheoK

« Reply #7518 on: January 22, 2011, 08:10:29 AM »
Testing an old kerosene lamp. It probably hasn't been in use for over 40 years. It has belonged to my grandparents and maybe even my grandmother's parents before that. Light is pretty good, but it smells a bit.

Scrapheap

« Reply #7519 on: January 22, 2011, 12:15:09 PM »

So what did they use as shrapnel??

TheoK

« Reply #7520 on: January 22, 2011, 12:23:56 PM »

So what did they use as shrapnel??

I don't know. That one was probably designed for use in bunkers and/or crowds where just the shock wave from the explosion would be sufficient enough.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7521 on: January 22, 2011, 01:56:59 PM »

P7PSP

« Reply #7522 on: January 22, 2011, 01:59:41 PM »
Your new kitten is cute.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7523 on: January 22, 2011, 02:02:27 PM »
Thanks :D She's about 6 months old now I think. She's naughty though lol

TheoK

« Reply #7524 on: January 22, 2011, 02:04:53 PM »
A friend of mine made these. He's just 15 years old and probably one of the youngest and best pyrotechnicians in the world.

Blue is the hardest colour to make in fireworks. The composition is American.  :viking:

P7PSP

« Reply #7525 on: January 22, 2011, 02:06:05 PM »
I have had a couple of cats, one was a beautiful calico named Guinevere. My allergy to cats got to the point where I can't have them around my place. Cats and dogs do generally like me and I like to visit them.

Scrapheap

« Reply #7526 on: January 22, 2011, 02:14:09 PM »
A friend of mine made these. He's just 15 years old and probably one of the youngest and best pyrotechnicians in the world.

Blue is the hardest colour to make in fireworks. The composition is American.  :viking:

Can't you make blue with titanium??

TheoK

« Reply #7527 on: January 22, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »

No, titanium makes the light white. You use copper for blue, but it's always tricky to balance it and there are many, many salts, oxides etc that can be used, including pure copper, but that's unusual. This one is pretty unique in that it uses very simple chemicals and yet makes such a nice blue:

Conkling Blue #1 

Potassium perchlorate  65 
Black copper oxide  14 
Parlon  9 
Red gum  7 
Dextrin  5 
Add 25% alcohol / 75% water 

Scrapheap

« Reply #7528 on: January 22, 2011, 02:21:41 PM »

No, titanium makes the light white. You use copper for blue, but it's always tricky to balance it and there are many, many salts, oxides etc that can be used, including pure copper, but that's unusual. This one is pretty unique in that it uses very simple chemicals and yet makes such a nice blue:

Conkling Blue #1 

Potassium perchlorate  65 
Black copper oxide  14 
Parlon  9 
Red gum  7 
Dextrin  5 
Add 25% alcohol / 75% water 

Hmm, when you take a piece of Ti to a grinding wheel, it gives off blue sparks.

TheoK

« Reply #7529 on: January 22, 2011, 02:27:48 PM »
I would say they are blueish, but that doesn't work in a firework composition. Titanium is used in fireworks, but for making white sparks.

Metal oxides also usually give white, atomic sodium gives yellow and monochlorides of barium, strontium and copper give green, red and blue respectively.