Educational

Author Topic: Photo Thread.  (Read 144616 times)

GalileoAce

Re: Photo Thread.
« Reply #3645 on: January 13, 2008, 07:06:59 PM »
I'm guessing you are from Queensland Klox, judging by the style of the houses.

Indeed. "Bloody wooden houses" :P Nah they are called queenslanders. They are quite proud of them here.

Most states build wooden houses...WA builds houses almost entirely out of bricks.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #3646 on: January 13, 2008, 07:33:37 PM »

Indeed. "Bloody wooden houses" :P Nah they are called queenslanders. They are quite proud of them here.

Most states build wooden houses...WA builds houses almost entirely out of bricks.

It's strange that a country with a never ending supply of hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and forest fires has such a love of flimsy wooden houses and trailer parks.

We build with brick, stone and concrete, but concrete rots here.  The concrete jungles that were built in the 50's and 60's are cracked and crumbling now, with plants growing up through the concrete paths and in the crevices of the buildings, and with lots of algae and water stains.  The older brick houses like this one have done much better, and in Glasgow it's common to apply roughcast to houses, which probably increases their weather resistance.  If I lived somewhere where major natural disasters were a regular occurrence, I'd want a home built like a bunker.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

GalileoAce

« Reply #3647 on: January 13, 2008, 07:38:44 PM »
It's strange that a country with a never ending supply of hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and forest fires has such a love of flimsy wooden houses and trailer parks.

Australia doesn't have tornadoes; Hurricanes are only in the topical regions; Earthquakes are very rare and not that damaging; and bush fires are a serious danger, but usually fought well by our fire fighters.

Victoria, in the last 10 years, has moved from wooden frame houses to metal frame houses.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3648 on: January 13, 2008, 07:57:13 PM »

We build with brick, stone and concrete, but concrete rots here.  The concrete jungles that were built in the 50's and 60's are cracked and crumbling now, with plants growing up through the concrete paths and in the crevices of the buildings, and with lots of algae and water stains.  The older brick houses like this one have done much better, and in Glasgow it's common to apply roughcast to houses, which probably increases their weather resistance.  If I lived somewhere where major natural disasters were a regular occurrence, I'd want a home built like a bunker.

I'm kind of with ya on that bunker idea.

I remember seeing pics of a semi-green, mostly free materials house that a guy built on the gentle slope of a hill by piling up discarded tires, packed with dirt, in three layers and "smoothing out the hillside." Once it was formed he covered it with sandy soil and planted a clumping prairie grass over it. The inside was all plaster covered adobe and it reminded me of a house you might find in Hobbiton. There were no square edges to anything, except for large timbers overhead and the inner walls were three feet thick.

It seemed very peaceful, safe and warm.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #3649 on: January 13, 2008, 08:14:48 PM »

Australia doesn't have tornadoes; Hurricanes are only in the topical regions; Earthquakes are very rare and not that damaging; and bush fires are a serious danger, but usually fought well by our fire fighters.

Victoria, in the last 10 years, has moved from wooden frame houses to metal frame houses.

When I saw 'states', I assumed it was in the US, since they build a lot of wooden houses.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #3650 on: January 13, 2008, 08:17:20 PM »

I'm kind of with ya on that bunker idea.

I remember seeing pics of a semi-green, mostly free materials house that a guy built on the gentle slope of a hill by piling up discarded tires, packed with dirt, in three layers and "smoothing out the hillside." Once it was formed he covered it with sandy soil and planted a clumping prairie grass over it. The inside was all plaster covered adobe and it reminded me of a house you might find in Hobbiton. There were no square edges to anything, except for large timbers overhead and the inner walls were three feet thick.

It seemed very peaceful, safe and warm.

Cities would be much nicer if they were built like that.  Imagine how much more space there would be for gardens if people had semi-buried houses with planted roofs.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #3651 on: January 13, 2008, 08:21:01 PM »
Imagine how little daylight you'd get.

Nevertheless, I always kinda dreamed of
a burrow.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3652 on: January 13, 2008, 08:25:19 PM »
I've thought of that too but I'm sure you could tell my Av
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

GalileoAce

« Reply #3653 on: January 13, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »

When I saw 'states', I assumed it was in the US, since they build a lot of wooden houses.

Australia also has states.  I suppose one could, technically, call Aus "The United Federation of Australia" (it's true, we're a federation).

Aus has 6 states (TAS (the island in the south) VIC (south eastern) WA (western)  NSW (south central eastern) QLD (central and nothern eastern) SA (south central)), and numerous territories (ACT (within NSW), NT (mid and north central), numerous islands, and an Antarctic Territory).

Learn something? :)

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3654 on: January 13, 2008, 08:43:25 PM »
I thought Australia was a Commmonwealth

Offline benj

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #3655 on: January 13, 2008, 08:49:35 PM »
Few corrections  :P. Australia is a part of the commonwealth not a commonwealth. We do have tornados but they mostly occur in the central areas where the population is small so therefore you hear very little about them.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #3656 on: January 13, 2008, 10:09:35 PM »
Virginia is a commonwealth.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #3657 on: January 14, 2008, 02:46:50 AM »
Few corrections  :P. Australia is a part of the commonwealth not a commonwealth. We do have tornados but they mostly occur in the central areas where the population is small so therefore you hear very little about them.

We have small tornadoes called Willy Willies.
I saw one last week in Beaufort, western Victoria.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

The_P

« Reply #3658 on: January 14, 2008, 02:47:42 AM »

I saw one last week in Beeaufort, western Victoria.

Why don't I care? Because it missed you. :(

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #3659 on: January 14, 2008, 02:59:11 AM »

I saw one last week in Beeaufort, western Victoria.

Why don't I care? Because it missed you. :(

If it had hit me (it was only 50 metres away) I might have got a bit dusty.

I'm glad you're concerned for my well being :-*
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."