Author Topic: Not so funny  (Read 1292 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Not so funny
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 07:24:36 AM »
as far as i know only two words have been filtered a rse  and s ex.

and i suspect, but cannot prove that it was scrapheap who changed them both.  i think it's funny.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 07:28:37 AM »
as far as i know only two words have been filtered a rse  and s ex.

and i suspect, but cannot prove that it was scrapheap who changed them both.  i think it's funny.

I think a rse has been changed by 3 admins at least  :laugh:
There were other words that had been changed this morning- like stupid (which seems to have been changed back).

What new modification?  According to the post it was last edited by you.    Is it possible that the new 'modification' is down to someone messing with the word filter again?
Oh! yes, that would explain it, I think. Does it apply , retrospectively to things we've already posted, then? Beause the first time I noticed it, it was modifying the word as i posted it, I thought it only applied to new posts. :-[

I think it does yes- although perhaps not to quotes- I can't quite remember its been a long time since anyone messed around with the word filter.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 07:41:31 AM »

Yeah I can appreciate a joke, but whoeve messed the word the word filter so that every time we type a certain four–letter word (beginning with “a”), it comes out as “scrapheap”, should’ve thought through the implications more carefully.

This board is supposed to support the principle of “Freedom of Speech” isn’t it? Where’s the freedom of speech if our words can and will be edited, by persons unknown,  on a whim?  And if this was really  meant to be “only a joke” why did somebody erase the whole of my two-line comment about it?  which somebody found to be funny enough to quote. (No, I won’t say who quoted it or where. If you want to erase the quotation, too, go hunt for it)

I just hope that Caesar Heap gets the joke. I don’t like being forcibly conscripted into what some might call a bullying campaign against him. I hardly know the guy. All I really know about him is that he recently started making allegations against Lucifer  (another of those “interesting coincidences"?) .And now, suddenly, he’s the laughing stock of the entire board, apparently.

I don’t know how this works, but I suspect that if someone tries to fix this, we’ll get all existing appearances of the word “scrapheap” appearing as  â€œars e”, which would be even more insulting.

Not funny at all, when you think about it.

Bugger it. It occurs to me that I’ll probably have to copy this post onto another board (Fractalus, perhaps, where I trust that my freedom of speech really will be respected) if I want it to stand, unmodified. What a joke.

~Walkie

There is a swear filter here.  Scrapheap played with it.  He changed the word A R S E to cornhole, someone changed it to Scrapheap to play with him, he changed it to Dunc, I changed it back to Scrapheap and he changed it to Callaway.  Now it is AAARRSE!!.  I can see how it looks like I was being mean to him, but I was playing the same way he was.

When the word is changed, all occurences of it are changed, but its effect is reversible.

If anyone changed your post, it would have last edited by whoever changed it at the bottom.  There is no way to change that.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 11:19:23 AM by Callaway »

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »
And if this was really  meant to be “only a joke” why did somebody erase the whole of my two-line comment about it?
am i misunderstanding something?  did someone delte one of walkies posts?

i can laugh about the word filters but not the censorship.  is the post that she refers to in the recycle bin?

Yes, McJ, somebody deleted - not a whole post of mine- but a section of it. And they coverered their tracks, by also deleteing  that bit at the bottom that keeps track of modifications. I'd edited the posta few  times myself (mostly in an effort to  sucessfully post  that word, then to add that comment, which later disappeared) but it now appears to be unmodified by anyone.  I find this disturbing. This is precisely what convinced me that the scrapheap thing was more than just a joke.

~Walkie
we have fail safes in place so this doesn't happen.  people are allowed to delete their own posts, and so can a few other people.  but if was deleted then it will be automatically placed in the resycle bin, which is in the admin forum.  i suppose if it was an admin, then they could re-delete it from there, but there will be a moderation log.
someone can get to the bottom of this, i am sure.  to me, that would be a grave violation of someones rights if they were censored, here.

to me, that would be a grave violation of someones rights if they were censored, here.

I’m very glad to hear it McJ. I’m also glad that I thought of that alternative explanation :that my browser loaded a redundant internet file, dating from before my own editing attempts. The more I think about it the more likely that seems, as I’ve noticed old web pages  getting resurrected before, if I lose my connection, Just never quite that old, before.

So, ho hum, I’ve; showed myself up for a prat, huh? <sheepish grin>. But that’s better than causing a panic over nowt. And infinitely better than  the thought that posts are getting surreptiously censored. I’m happy to consider that issue  settled ,  since nobody else picked up on it (nor anything like it, to judge by replies so far)

I’ll probably  modify my original post, later, if I can think of a good way of doing it ( I mean, to avoid misleading the reader , but  without invalidating any subsequent responses,. Which would adding to the post, rather than subtracting, I suppose ). Right now  I think I should just  finish another reply I had in the pipeline, then skedaddle (things to do).

~Walkie

Ps. Yes, I did follow your subsequent post. Thanks
PPS. You guys all post much to fast for me.  :laugh:  Il  be here all day, if I try to reply to everything. I meant to quit long ago. But I do feel itt's important to clear this up ASAP

Scrapheap

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 08:33:36 AM »
Yes, of course it was me who started pranking with the word filter. So far it's all been in good fun. Why did somebody erase stupid=peaguy?? Peaguy asked to be pranked on.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 08:34:50 AM »

Callaway,  you're a star (as usual)
I was hoping the "culprit" would own up, and explain what they were were doing.
But , in the light of all that emerged in the  the above discussion, I don't actually think it was mean, anymore  Honestly! That's not just because it was you (though that surely would swing it, if i still had any doubt)

~Walkie
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 12:38:09 PM by DrunkardsWalk »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 11:07:39 AM »
swear filter changes = pranks. and they change back when the joke word substitution is removed. We like to play here and don't take ourselves too seriously. deal with it.
* Silent Dunc mutters something about people not having enough to bother about  ::)

Well said, Dunc.
Does anyone who takes oneself this seriously really expect others to take the one this seriously, as well? We all edit quoted posts in an effort to be concise and respond only to certain aspects of the said quoted posts. How horrid must it be when someone takes it upon themselves to highlight an edited post by using the "bold" feature?

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

Nothing left to add to this thread aside from ...

::)

... unless I can find a "razzberry" smiley.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 11:11:42 AM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 12:14:38 PM »
And if this was really  meant to be “only a joke” why did somebody erase the whole of my two-line comment about it?
am i misunderstanding something?  did someone delte one of walkies posts?

i can laugh about the word filters but not the censorship.  is the post that she refers to in the recycle bin?

Yes, McJ, somebody deleted - not a whole post of mine- but a section of it. And they coverered their tracks, by also deleteing  that bit at the bottom that keeps track of modifications. I'd edited the posta few  times myself (mostly in an effort to  sucessfully post  that word, then to add that comment, which later disappeared) but it now appears to be unmodified by anyone.  I find this disturbing. This is precisely what convinced me that the scrapheap thing was more than just a joke.

~Walkie

Walkie, there is only one post of yours in the recycle bin, which was deleted today, but I think you must have deleted it.  It looks like a quote of another post of yours in this thread.  It starts, "Quote from: DrunkardsWalk on Today at 08:23:13 AM"  If you want me to, I can put it back.  There is nothing about the deletion in the moderation log and there would be unless you deleted it yourself.

Like I said, if anyone edits anyone's post, unless you do it yourself within 90 seconds of posting, there is a note at the bottom of the post saying who modified it which can't be erased.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 12:19:22 PM »
swear filter changes = pranks. and they change back when the joke word substitution is removed. We like to play here and don't take ourselves too seriously. deal with it.
* Silent Dunc mutters something about people not having enough to bother about  ::)

Well said, Dunc.
Does anyone who takes oneself this seriously really expect others to take the one this seriously, as well? We all edit quoted posts in an effort to be concise and respond only to certain aspects of the said quoted posts. How horrid must it be when someone takes it upon themselves to highlight an edited post by using the "bold" feature?

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

Uh-oh, I do that all the time.    :razz:

I really answered because  :flame:  DirtDawg has the evil 666 karma!  :flame: 

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 12:41:55 PM »
and they change back when the joke word substitution is removed.

Cool. This is what I expected, but the quotes
will still be off the modified text, no?

And if you modify a post, whilst the wordfilter is
on?

Test: P.I.

I wonder what will happen.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 12:47:05 PM »
and they change back when the joke word substitution is removed.

Cool. This is what I expected, but the quotes
will still be off the modified text, no?

And if you modify a post, whilst the wordfilter is
on?

Test: P.I.

I wonder what will happen.

I think the quotes keep what the word filter changed the word to, even when the word filter is changed.

I just saw a quoted post that had "peaguy" instead of "stupid" which is what the OP wrote.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 12:47:48 PM »
Callaway,

I think you must've missed my reply to McJ, above  I hoped to save you (or anybody else) from going to that trouble.  You really shopuldn't have! But thanks. Yes, I accidentally double-posted, I meant to edit that post, not quote it! As for the 90-second thing. That's handy to know. I'm not likely to do  anything within 90-seconds of posting, as it happens  :laugh:. My brain doesn't work that fast (as people probably noticed)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »

Well said, Dunc.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

Uh-oh, I do that all the time.    :razz:

I really answered because :flame: DirtDawg has the evil 666 karma! :flame: 

When I noticed that 666 thing, I was only seven past having three sixes on top of four sevens.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 12:48:48 PM »

I just saw a quoted post that had "peaguy" instead of "stupid" which is what the OP wrote.

:clap:

I give permission to whomever to use me
in such a manner.  :laugh:

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 12:53:07 PM »
Callaway,

I think you must've missed my reply to McJ, above  I hoped to save you (or anybody else) from going to that trouble.  You really shopuldn't have! But thanks. Yes, I accidentally double-posted, I meant to edit that post, not quote it! As for the 90-second thing. That's handy to know. I'm not likely to do  anything within 90-seconds of posting, as it happens  :laugh:. My brain doesn't work that fast (as people probably noticed)

Yes, I posted before I read the whole thread carefully, then I decided to leave my reply anyway because I thought some of the information might be useful.

:)

Edit:  I'm glad we have it all figured out now.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 12:55:00 PM by Callaway »