Author Topic: Not so funny  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Not so funny
« on: August 07, 2007, 03:04:46 AM »
AUTHOR’S RETROSPECTIVE DISCLAIMER/HEALTH WARNING: The following is rant should be regarded/disregarded  with a healthy dose of  scepticism . As in, Oops! “I’ve showed myself up for a prat, huh?” (see p.2) . Furthermore the Author wishes to express her considered opinion that she deserves to be pranked for her cheek. *humbly lays head on block *

Now read on, if you can really be arsed, erm, a-rsed , that is.

Yeah I can appreciate a joke, but whoeve messed the word the word filter so that every time we type a certain four–letter word (beginning with “a”), it comes out as “scrapheap”, should’ve thought through the implications more carefully.

This board is supposed to support the principle of “Freedom of Speech” isn’t it? Where’s the freedom of speech if our words can and will be edited, by persons unknown,  on a whim?  And if this was really  meant to be “only a joke” why did somebody erase the whole of my two-line comment about it?  which somebody found to be funny enough to quote. (No, I won’t say who quoted it or where. If you want to erase the quotation, too, go hunt for it)

I just hope that Caesar Heap gets the joke. I don’t like being forcibly conscripted into what some might call a bullying campaign against him. I hardly know the guy. All I really know about him is that he recently started making allegations against Lucifer  (another of those “interesting coincidences"?) .And now, suddenly, he’s the laughing stock of the entire board, apparently.

I don’t know how this works, but I suspect that if someone tries to fix this, we’ll get all existing appearances of the word “scrapheap” appearing as  â€œars e”, which would be even more insulting.

Not funny at all, when you think about it.

Bugger it. It occurs to me that I’ll probably have to copy this post onto another board (Fractalus, perhaps, where I trust that my freedom of speech really will be respected) if I want it to stand, unmodified. What a joke.

~Walkie
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 12:33:39 PM by DrunkardsWalk »

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: Not so funny
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 03:12:57 AM »
I'm confused that the word filter seems
to effect the text box.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 03:30:22 AM »

Yeah I can appreciate a joke, but whoeve messed the word the word filter so that every time we type a certain four–letter word (beginning with “a”), it comes out as “scrapheap”, should’ve thought through the implications more carefully.

This board is supposed to support the principle of “Freedom of Speech” isn’t it? Where’s the freedom of speech if our words can and will be edited, by persons unknown,  on a whim?  And if this was really  meant to be “only a joke” why did somebody erase the whole of my two-line comment about it?  which somebody found to be funny enough to quote. (No, I won’t say who quoted it or where. If you want to erase the quotation, too, go hunt for it)

I just hope that Caesar Heap gets the joke. I don’t like being forcibly conscripted into what some might call a bullying campaign against him. I hardly know the guy. All I really know about him is that he recently started making allegations against Lucifer  (another of those “interesting coincidences"?) .And now, suddenly, he’s the laughing stock of the entire board, apparently.

I don’t know how this works, but I suspect that if someone tries to fix this, we’ll get all existing appearances of the word “scrapheap” appearing as  “ars e”, which would be even more insulting.

Not funny at all, when you think about it.

Bugger it. It occurs to me that I’ll probably have to copy this post onto another board (Fractalus, perhaps, where I trust that my freedom of speech really will be respected) if I want it to stand, unmodified. What a joke.

~Walkie

i agree with you, drunkardswalk.  however, scrapheap "started on me" ages ago, so this latest attempt at a smear campaign is based on an erroneous premise.  ::)  clever, though, i'll give you that.

you might be interested to know that my similar comments in the world council forum were one of the things pyraxis used as evidence for this supposed "cult of personality" of mine.  does this mean you're trying to take over I2, as well?  dear me - there's an epidemic.

what actually happened is that scrapheap was made admin, and - as has happened in the past - chose to play with his admin powers.  people retaliated in a similar vein.

and i've quoted your post in its entirety, in an attempt to ensure it doesn't get lost in the works, as it were.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 04:32:54 AM »
Yes the swear filter thing is annoying but I wonder why you automatically assume its a 'bullying campagain' against scrapheap and its somehow linked to him having a go at Lucifer (are you sure you tinfoil hat is really working)  ::) - in case you hadn't noticed he's the current admin who pulls the most pranks of this nature, generally on those he feels sure can take a joke (are you suggesting that he can't take a joke himself?).

The swear filter has been changed several times over the past few days to make a rse say cornhole, duncvis, scrapheap, silent dunc and now ozymandias, and what about s ex coming out as Mcj? - are all these people being picked on because they happened to piss Lucifer off?? 

I do agree with you that the swear filter changes are annoying though, but lets not try build another conspiracy on it because it suits your current agenda  ::)

duncvis

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 04:39:58 AM »
swear filter changes = pranks. and they change back when the joke word substitution is removed. We like to play here and don't take ourselves too seriously. deal with it.
* Silent Dunc mutters something about people not having enough to bother about  ::)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 06:36:03 AM »
And if this was really  meant to be “only a joke” why did somebody erase the whole of my two-line comment about it?
am i misunderstanding something?  did someone delte one of walkies posts?

i can laugh about the word filters but not the censorship.  is the post that she refers to in the recycle bin?
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 06:50:54 AM »
I assumed she meant when they quoted her they erased that bit out of the quote, but perhaps I read that wrong- I can't believe that any of the admins would delete someone else's post. 

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 06:54:58 AM »
And if this was really  meant to be “only a joke” why did somebody erase the whole of my two-line comment about it?

i can laugh about the word filters but not the censorship.  is the post that she refers to in the recycle bin?

Yes, McJ, somebody deleted - not a whole post of mine- but a section of it. And they coverered their tracks, by also deleteing  that bit at the bottom that keeps track of modifications. I'd edited the posta few  times myself (mostly in an effort to  sucessfully post  that word, then to add that comment, which later disappeared) but it now appears to be unmodified by anyone.  I find this disturbing. This is precisely what convinced me that the scrapheap thing was more than just a joke.

~Walkie

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 07:01:32 AM »
As far as I am aware there is no way of removing the 'edited by....' part when a post is edited by someone.  ???

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 07:06:06 AM »

Yes, McJ, somebody deleted - not a whole post of mine- but a section of it. And they coverered their tracks, by also deleteing  that bit at the bottom that keeps track of modifications. I'd edited the posta few  times myself (mostly in an effort to  sucessfully post  that word, then to add that comment, which later disappeared) but it now appears to be unmodified by anyone.  I find this disturbing. This is precisely what convinced me that the scrapheap thing was more than just a joke.

~Walkie
we have fail safes in place so this doesn't happen.  people are allowed to delete their own posts, and so can a few other people.  but if was deleted then it will be automatically placed in the resycle bin, which is in the admin forum.  i suppose if it was an admin, then they could re-delete it from there, but there will be a moderation log.
someone can get to the bottom of this, i am sure.  to me, that would be a grave violation of someones rights if they were censored, here.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 07:07:42 AM »
Is this the post you're referring to Drunkard's walk:

d'you know what, i am sick of people assuming i have some sort of "tactic" or "motivation" because i speak/write in a certain way, and use certain language skills.

it's how i speak, it's how i've always spoken, it's part of who i am, and just cos you, or anyone else,are (is) not used to it doesn't mean there's a hidden agenda.

if anyone doesn't like the way i talk or use words, get the fuck over it.

I don’t have a problem with your writing style. Lucifer. And I wasn’t “making assumptions” but analysing this one little interchange.  There’s a difference

I was referring to your  use of the Straw Man fallacy to twist Pyraxis’ words, so she appears (at a casual glance)  to be attacking all-and-sundry, when you know damned well that she’s only attacking you.  I could go into detail, but I’m hoping that others will take the trouble to do that, so I won’t be alone in making that observation.  If that’s a natural born tendency  that’s so far beyond your conscious control that you don’t even realise you’re doing it.,  then god help you. But I don’t believe it is, not for one moment.

That’s well-known to be a pretty effective (if underhand) debating tactic. And you didn’t know it? Huh.

funnily enough, i haven't bothered to spend much time on my responses to the nonsense in the callout, and certainly haven't bothered constructing "Straw Man" fallacies.  what i said, i meant - if pyraxis really thinks that i'm capable of infiltrating the minds of people on here who are very intelligent, then i'm flattered she thinks me capable.  but i doubt very much i am, personally.

you seem to have been sucked into this ridiculous notion that i have some sort of crazed, power-mongering agenda behind everything i do.  dictator of an internet discussion board?  puhlease.  ::)

everything i've said in the callout happens to be straight off the top of my head, without spending forever thinking about it.  i don't expect you believe that for one moment, notwithstanding your claim to being unbiased. 

personally, i find that hard to swallow, given that you've already stated that you're a close personal friend of pyraxis, and the timing of your appearance is another one of those "interesting coincidences".

Yeah, yeah, yet more straw men, and I’m sure you can churn ’em out standing on your head. It isn’t difficult..= But if I take the trouble to argue with ‘em all, then I’ll just look like a raving obsessive. And if I let some go, then I appear to agree by default. Simple,  but effective. .

Like I said, Lucifer, I’ve met with these tactics before. And they prove, to my own personal satisfaction  that you’re manipulative. But that’s  something very different from dictatorial  That’s just about the polar-fricking-opposite.of dictatorial. Don’t pretend you’re too stupid to know the difference. That’s not gonna wash with anyone who’s ever read your posts.

So who called you a dictator? Nobody  Who even suggested as much? Nobody but you.  So who’s stupid notion  are you laughing at? Your own. Don’t try to pass it off as my idea.

I really can’t be scrapheapd with going through the whole of your post, pointing out all the straw men, If anybody’s interested in Pyraxis’ point of view, or mine,  I suggest that they read the original text. Lucifer’s versions are so  seriously skewed, she might as well be talking to herself

(btw- wtf is going on here. I keep trying to type "AAARRSE!!d" but it turns into- bugger it, it probably turned into the same thing again. Let's try going dyslexic, then,: I keep trying to type "ardse" but it tirns intp scrapheap'd  ???)

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 07:13:41 AM »
PS. McJ, I  just checked baclk on the post (p 7 of thePyraxis vs. Vivi thread. Sorry still haven't go the hang of links) and it appears to be back the way it was- with one minor (harmless ) modification which I know I didn't make  ??? And i think you were the one who quoted me , btw, but  I don't have tiime to check that

So i dunno what to think. Maybe my browser loaded a redundant verasion of that thread from my temporary internet files? Can that happen? But that doesn't explain the new modification.  *shrug*
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 07:15:50 AM by DrunkardsWalk »

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 07:15:20 AM »
What new modification?  According to the post it was last edited by you.    Is it possible that the new 'modification' is down to someone messing with the word filter again?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 07:18:44 AM »
sometimes, when i quote someone i only quote the pertinent paragraph that i want to comment on, instead of the entire post.  it makes it more efficient for anyone else to follow the conversation.

i didn't quote the entire post that you made, because i didn't find it necessary.  also, if i quoted you and then you went back and edited your own post later, the quote i made would still reflect your earlier, unedited post.

does that make sense?
Misunderstood.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 07:22:46 AM »
What new modification?  According to the post it was last edited by you.    Is it possible that the new 'modification' is down to someone messing with the word filter again?
Oh! yes, that would explain it, I think. Does it apply , retrospectively to things we've already posted, then? Beause the first time I noticed it, it was modifying the word as i posted it, I thought it only applied to new posts. :-[