Educational

Author Topic: How sentimental are you?  (Read 3371 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Give me a fucking break! How sentimental are you?
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2007, 07:57:21 PM »

I have been cleaning out my garage and really,  I wonder why I have have kept half the shit I'm throwing out.

However, I have found my grandfather's pipe in piles of shit that need to be thrown away and it is loaded with his last pipeful of Prince Albert, which he never got to smoke, because he died right then, holding onto it and telling everyone to fuck off about his pipe smoking. I've heard the story too many times. I am a pipe smoker and it looks brand new, due to the lack of teeth marks on the stem. I remember, also, that he had no teeth for the last ten years of his life and that this was his favorite pipe, towards the end. That's why I have it. I am the only pipe smoker in the family.

Should I smoke it? Is that too creepy? Am I a sentimental douchebag for even hesitating? Should I just keep it aside for some future interest? Should I clean it and smoke it with my wonderful Danish blend of aged tobaccos? Should I smoke his death smoke, which is sixteen years old now and of which he never got to partake?
Am I thinking over thinkning too much?
Is this really my pipe or does it belong to my son and his son?

smoke it. think fond things of your grandfather whilst you do. pass the pipe on to your kids.

You have me figured out.
This where I'm going with this. I just need to clear things up to the point I can truly feel the gravity of this ceremony as I do.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2007, 07:58:05 PM »
I don't know that I'd smoke the 16 yr old tobacco.  I think the pipe is the important part, not that particular load of tobacco.  Definitely keep the pipe.  Put some fresh tobacco in it if you're inclined, and smoke up and enjoy the memories.

I've smoked older.
And that's really NOT the
point.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2007, 08:02:41 PM »
other things, pictures ect.

I mean, you're the one who has to
decide this. And it really has to be
by your own path.

I have a number of his pictures. I have his beat up shotgun, some of his wrenches. This was his last smoke, loaded by his own burly, worn out hands which he never got to enjoy.

Think on them too, I guess.
Really focus. I know you are,
but I can't do this for you.
All I can tell you is what you
know.

Then tell me more, please.

What can I touch? Look at what you have of his.
Think about it. I think think about your family too,
and how he flows through the blood - but this is
less clear. Shit.

When you smoke it, I think you have to reach out,
a bit. I know that you use drugs sometimes, but
think what HE'D think about that, because it might
just make it more difficult, even if it seems easier.

Ah, and make sure that nothing can screw up what
you plan, without it being necessary. Like, if you need
to do it alone, make damned sure that no one is going
to interrupt. On the other hand, if there's someone who
has to be there, make sure that they understand how
important it is - I presume that your family is used to
your ways.

Scrapheap

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2007, 08:06:30 PM »
My .02 would be to smoke it with one of your kids. You know a kind of passing down of the generations kind of thing. Is your son the only one old enough to smoke??

Offline Kiriana

• The Ultimate Answer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2007, 08:13:41 PM »
I don't know that I'd smoke the 16 yr old tobacco.  I think the pipe is the important part, not that particular load of tobacco.  Definitely keep the pipe.  Put some fresh tobacco in it if you're inclined, and smoke up and enjoy the memories.
Remember that all quality tobacco is AGED. That has little to do wiht my questions, though.

It is obvious to me that you have not grasped the essence of what I hold in my hand.

I suppose I haven't.  Sounds like I need to re-read and see where I went off track.  

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2007, 08:20:25 PM »
My .02 would be to smoke it with one of your kids. You know a kind of passing down of the generations kind of thing. Is your son the only one old enough to smoke??

I didn't want to put something that clear
into his mind. It occurred as possible, but
less clear.

Anyone is old enough to smoke, under these
circumstances. This isn't a mere matter of
hangin' with dad, and having a beer.

Just so they understand the special
nature.

Offline juliekitty

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2007, 08:39:14 PM »
Do you have anything that is sentimental to you?

Yes.  But at the same time they are only objects.

My mom lived and died trapped by hundreds and hundreds of things that had sentimental value to her.  She was a slave to them.  They weighed her down.  She had so much stuff she couldn't keep organized.  It kept her from functioning well in her home.

I've made a conscious decision not to let objects own me.  Though they may have sentimental associations, I own them and I'll do what's right for me with them, regardless.

Not implying you should do one thing or another, MD... just answering your question.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:42:45 PM by juliekitty »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2007, 09:01:53 PM »
juliekitty - I know exactly what you mean. I've seen lives seriously messed up by sentimentality, drowning in so many objects that they can't be managed, or devastated when some natural disaster destroys them. It doesn't sound like Dawg's in that kind of danger though. I think PI's right, sometimes a bit of sentimentality is called for.

I probably err too far in the other direction, because I do my best not to get attached to material objects period. I have a few things I get attached to, like my laptop, but that's not exactly sentimentality, because it's the function that I like, and an equivalent replacement would be just as good.

I used to be a lot more superstitious though. When I was fifteen I went to a summer camp that was close to lifesaving. Everyone got a glass candleholder to take home with the word "LIFE" engraved on it. I dropped mine by accident a few months later, right before I moved out of the country. It scared me enough, looking at the shattered pieces on the floor, that I dropped everything I was doing and spent the next two hours painstakingly gluing them all back together.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2007, 09:27:14 PM »
Do you have anything that is sentimental to you?

Yes.  But at the same time they are only objects.

My mom lived and died trapped by hundreds and hundreds of things that had sentimental value to her.  She was a slave to them.  They weighed her down.  She had so much stuff she couldn't keep organized.  It kept her from functioning well in her home.

I've made a conscious decision not to let objects own me.  Though they may have sentimental associations, I own them and I'll do what's right for me with them, regardless.

Not implying you should do one thing or another, MD... just answering your question.

I appreciate what you are saying and generally I agree with you, but I have gone too far down the path of spiritualism to accept that certain special things are merely objects of little gravity and nothing more. Some things  have power - I am convinced. I agree that ninety nine plus some per cent of the shit that we encounter is a meaningless annoyance or a simple distraction and getting tangled with them is a fool's calling, but I believe the chance of something complete and plenary coming to us, uncorrupt, is real and it does happen, although it seems quite rare.

The mental flexibility to recognise an occasional  life changing event makes some of us stronger, through either action or inaction. That is why I feel that I am between the hammer and an anvil, right now. I am sensing that this may be one of the most important and possibly devastating things I have ever encountered. I do not want to miss my steps.

I definitely need to sleep on this one.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2007, 09:30:18 PM »

less clear.

nature.

It's not that the thoughts or ideas were not there already. It feels now as if I have already done this, but the time has not yet passed.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2007, 10:13:35 PM »

less clear.

nature.

It's not that the thoughts or ideas were not there already. It feels now as if I have already done this, but the time has not yet passed.

That makes so much sense.
But, you may have done it more
ways than one. I'm glad that you
feel you can sleep on it.

willow

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2007, 10:44:30 PM »

I have been cleaning out my garage and really,  I wonder why I have have kept half the shit I'm throwing out.

However, I have found my grandfather's pipe in piles of shit that need to be thrown away and it is loaded with his last pipeful of Prince Albert, which he never got to smoke, because he died right then, holding onto it and telling everyone to fuck off about his pipe smoking. I've heard the story too many times. I am a pipe smoker and it looks brand new, due to the lack of teeth marks on the stem. I remember, also, that he had no teeth for the last ten years of his life and that this was his favorite pipe, towards the end. That's why I have it. I am the only pipe smoker in the family.

Should I smoke it? Is that too creepy? Am I a sentimental douchebag for even hesitating? Should I just keep it aside for some future interest? Should I clean it and smoke it with my wonderful Danish blend of aged tobaccos? Should I smoke his death smoke, which is sixteen years old now and of which he never got to partake?

smoke it. think fond things of your grandfather whilst you do. pass the pipe on to your kids.

You have me figured out.
This where I'm going with this. I just need to clear things up to the point I can truly feel the gravity of this ceremony as I do.

you have already cleared them, love.

you are seeking approval to do what you feel is right.

carry on, and it will be what it should be, you know?

<hug>

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2007, 11:33:32 PM »

Thanks, Willow. There are very few who can begin to fathom who I am, most of the time. You are often among them.

:-*

willow

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2007, 11:36:33 PM »

You have me figured out.

you don't need approval, love.
go with your spirit.
you know what should be.

willow

« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2007, 11:37:58 PM »

Thanks, Willow. There are very few who can begin to fathom who I am, most of the time. You are often among them.

:-*

I am pleased to be among them.  :-*