Educational

Author Topic: Ah, why not?  (Read 5798 times)

purposefulinsanity

Re: Ah, why not?
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2007, 12:13:22 PM »
We're not really open with our families, but then I think since its about our sex life I don't see why its any of their business.

I think the most irritating assumption we come across is the idea that if we have other sexual partners it must mean that one of us can't satisfy the other sexually.  There was only one person that said we were hypocrites to get married if we wanted an 'open' relationship.  (I hate the term open relationship, but poly doesn't quite fit either).

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2007, 12:13:28 PM »
oh yes. :green: i like you more and more mordok. you have great taste.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2007, 12:14:16 PM »
We're not really open with our families, but then I think since its about our P.I. life I don't see why its any of their business.

I think the most irritating assumption we come across is the idea that if we have other P.I.ual partners it must mean that one of us can't satisfy the other P.I.ually.  There was only one person that said we were hypocrites to get married if we wanted an 'open' relationship.  (I hate the term open relationship, but poly doesn't quite fit either).

does it tickle you to say P.I. life? :laugh:

it irritates me when people criticize people's lifestyles.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2007, 12:15:50 PM »
We're not really open with our families, but then I think since its about our P.I. life I don't see why its any of their business.

I think the most irritating assumption we come across is the idea that if we have other P.I.ual partners it must mean that one of us can't satisfy the other P.I.ually.  There was only one person that said we were hypocrites to get married if we wanted an 'open' relationship.  (I hate the term open relationship, but poly doesn't quite fit either).

does it tickle you to say P.I. life? :laugh:

No I forgot about the word filter- I generally put some code in the middle of the word so it will come out as sse:laugh:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2007, 12:17:13 PM »
lol. but isn't it kind of flattering in an embarassing way?
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Kiriana

• The Ultimate Answer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2007, 12:31:11 PM »

Exactly.  Right now, since a lot of it is about sex, well, my family doesn't need to know.   "Open relationship" is definitely a weird term, but we're somewhere between swingers and poly, so what are you gonna call it? 

I think the assumption comes from some people being hard-wired for monogamy and some people not so much.  It can be hard for one side to understand the other. 

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2007, 12:40:41 PM »
  "Open relationship" is definitely a weird term, but we're somewhere between swingers and poly, so what are you gonna call it?   

Yeah, I prefer the term open relationship over all the others but even that doesn't feel exactly right if you know what I mean?   

I think the assumption comes from some people being hard-wired for monogamy and some people not so much.  It can be hard for one side to understand the other.   

I agree- that's the reaction I've gotten a lot- 'how can you cope with that? Don't you worry you'll end up splitting up because of it?'- that kinda thing.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2007, 12:49:52 PM »

i understand. i understand monogamy and i understand polygamy. i fall in love all the time. i don't need to pursue those interests but if i met someone and liked them and wanted to fuck them i'd feel it was my right to do so as long as the person i was with knew. but i understand being with someone exclusively because you love them more than anyone else ever... whatever you want to do, do so. life is for living. do what you will, harm none.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Kiriana

• Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2007, 12:52:01 PM »

i understand. i understand monogamy and i understand polygamy. i fall in love all the time. i don't need to pursue those interests but if i met someone and liked them and wanted to fuck them i'd feel it was my right to do so as long as the person i was with knew. but i understand being with someone because you love them more than anyone else ever... whatever you want to do, do so. life is for living. do what you will, harm none.

Yeah, I hear you.  I understand both sides on an intellectual level, but maybe not as much on an emotional level, if that makes sense.  I don't judge either as "right" or "wrong", just what works for me and what doesn't.  But that's just me.

BTW, thanks for the compliment eariler.  I'm busy chasing kids and chasing dogs and chasing threads..... probably not catching everything as fast as I should.   :P
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 12:57:14 PM by Kiriana »

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2007, 12:59:46 PM »
yeah i know. understanding someone intellectually is what tolerance is. you understand someone is different but not wrong or right, just different. and you tolerate them. the people who don't tolerate those who just want to live their lives without harming anyone, that's who i get mad at.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2007, 01:02:32 PM »
yeah i know. understanding someone intellectually is what tolerance is. you understand someone is different but not wrong or right, just different. and you tolerate them. the people who don't tolerate those who just want to live their lives without harming anyone, that's who i get mad at.
I would hope people would do more than just tolerate others around them. Tolerate seems a horrible way of looking at things.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2007, 01:04:25 PM »
*shrug*

it means you put up with people you don't understand. if people want to embrace people who are different than them then that's great. but tolerance is the minimum requirement.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2007, 09:37:30 PM »
do you hate anyone?
Misunderstood.

Offline Kiriana

• Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2007, 09:41:34 PM »
do you hate anyone?

Definitely.  The list is pretty short, hate is a really strong word.  Plus I'm sure it's more damaging to me to hold on to the hate and all that psychobabble, but...yeah.  There's one or 2 who've earned it.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2007, 09:44:46 PM »
what has made you hate? i mean: what has a person to do to warrant your hate?
Misunderstood.