Educational

Author Topic: Ah, why not?  (Read 5778 times)

Offline Kiriana

• The Ultimate Answer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Constant Poster
Ah, why not?
« on: August 02, 2007, 12:36:47 PM »
I'm feeling chatty.  Go ahead, ask me anything.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Ah, why not?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:41:22 PM »
How did you find this forum?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 12:45:41 PM »
What led up to your son's diagnosis?

Offline Kiriana

• Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 12:49:21 PM »
How did you find this forum?

Random surfing/link clicking.  I end up in the oddest places by doing that sometimes. ;)  I think it went something like:  a parenting site I frequent -> an autistic woman's blog -> autistics.org -> their forums -> here.  I end up in the oddest places by doing that sometimes. ;)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 12:53:13 PM »
Have you ever seen Benny & Joon?

Offline Kiriana

• Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 01:00:39 PM »
What led up to your son's diagnosis?

Well, I had noticed for a while that he had some behaviors I hadn't seen in my daughter, like repetitive play, lining up toys, etc. and he wasn't talking.  I wasn't sure it was anything to be concerned about, but then my mother-in-law pointed out his lack of eye contact, and it finally clicked that autism would explain a lot.  So I did some internet research, contacted a developmental pediatrician and Early Intervention and we were off into that rat race.  Actually, it was a pretty short journey for us comparatively.  About 4 months from my first suspicions of autism to diagnosis.

Offline Kiriana

• Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 01:01:40 PM »

I think so, once, years ago.  I'm not much of a movie person.  Would you recommend I see it again?   ;)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 01:04:54 PM »
Did you get those Early Intervention people who came to your house to check on you and the little ones and talk with you about the next phases they would go through?  I got some when my daughter was born, but then we moved when she was around three months old and we didn't get them here.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 01:13:32 PM »

I think so, once, years ago.  I'm not much of a movie person.  Would you recommend I see it again?   ;)

Are you joking?

Yes you should see it again. I doubt you remember it well since you said I think so.

Ever been to Spokane?

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 01:20:11 PM »
Word of caution, my mom did that to.  Things are not always what they appear, even people with doctoral degrees can make mistakes, although hard. Oh well, if people want me to have a dx, if I need to, I will pretend I do.  I did ask them to stop, about a thousand times.

Lets not talk about about my dx, with your hyperfocus bullshit.  I don't even see anyone no more, not even a clinical social worker.

Just remember that usually there is something worse to deal with, my mom for instance, is alot more tough to deal with than aspie on here.  Bipolar disorder sucks.
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Offline Kiriana

• Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 01:49:01 PM »
Did you get those Early Intervention people who came to your house to check on you and the little ones and talk with you about the next phases they would go through?  I got some when my daughter was born, but then we moved when she was around three months old and we didn't get them here.

Ohh yeah, what are those people called?  Parents as Teachers?  We got them when he was born, because he was a preemie.  They weren't very helpful though.  Early Intervention was better, they go by different names in different places, like First Steps, or Birth to 3 or whatever.  They coordinate all the OT and ST and whatnot.

Offline Kiriana

• Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 01:57:49 PM »

Are you joking?

Yes you should see it again. I doubt you remember it well since you said I think so.

Ever been to Spokane?

Yeah, I was being a little silly, but I do have that Blockbuster program that mails you DVDs  every month, and my list is getting short, so I'll pop Benny and Joon on there.  :)   I haven't been to Spokane because I don't like to fly.  I pretty much only go places I can drive in a day.

AllDayGlowRandy, you're confusing me.  What gives you the impression that a mistake has been made in my son's dx?  And where did I imply I think it's something bad?  Of course there's a billion things out there worse to deal with than autism!   A label gets services, that's how the system works where I live, so a label he has.  That's all.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 02:07:26 PM »
Dang no Spokane. I love that place but the funny thing is when I am there, I see all the Benny & Joon locations I know and after doing everything I have wanted to do, I don't know what else to do in the city so I end up leaving and then the next day I miss it all over again and want to go back. Two days there is plenty for me.

Would you ever like to visit Spokane?

duncvis

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 02:35:18 PM »

Are you joking?

Ever been to Spokane?

Yeah, I was being a little silly, but I do have that Blockbuster program that mails you DVDs  every month, and my list is getting short, so I'll pop Benny and Joon on there.  :)   I haven't been to Spokane because I don't like to fly.  I pretty much only go places I can drive in a day.

AllDayGlowRandy, you're confusing me.  What gives you the impression that a mistake has been made in my son's dx?  And where did I imply I think it's something bad?  Of course there's a billion things out there worse to deal with than autism!   A label gets services, that's how the system works where I live, so a label he has.  That's all.

Don't worry about AllDayGlowRandy, Kiriana. He rarely posts anything which makes sense in English, and has 'issues'. We still love him. Honest. *cough*

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 03:08:25 PM »
AllDayGlowRandy is like a pet that isn't quite housebroken. We like it when he waggles his tail and doesn't bark at the neighbour's cat (or car, or kids, or the fat lady that visits, or the mailman, or the pizza delivery boy, or...) but that little quirk gets bloody annoying after a while.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein