Author Topic: The problem with women  (Read 5096 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: The problem with women
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2007, 11:48:15 AM »

...I get the OPPOSITE shit, and it is from the same damned men.

I have to plus you large  for noticing that it is the same weak-ruddered, listing men who are mainly at fault, here.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2007, 12:38:52 PM »
Calling children... what?  :-\

Am I this guy's current fantasy or summat? Kinky.  :eyebrows:

Scrapheap was showing his admiration of you by putting you in the word filter, Peaguy.

:-*

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2007, 01:41:58 PM »

not your lack of impulse control.  i've been there too, remember?  as has bjork, and callaway and...

;)

It must be a weakness of the more bloodthirty sex.

Don't tempt me.

Don't order me around, you twunt!!!  ;)

Sounds like someone needs to enter a drinking
contest.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2007, 01:43:45 PM »
Look how much younger CS is, and how much further that has got, relative to psychology.

Interesting that you should bring this
up, given how dependent fields of
CS are on psychology.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2007, 01:44:48 PM »

As for computer science (did I mention that this is what my degree is in?), of course it's improved faster.  I can set a system to run a million tests and have the results within a day. 

Plus, little of this is comp sci, but rather computer engineering.
Which isn't really a science at all.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2007, 06:57:01 AM »
If it is a science, it should improve sooner or later enough for it to intrest me. I am not convinced it is going to happen anytime soon. Look how much younger CS is, and how much further that has got, relative to psychology. They tend to nail these maths problems in the end, as you have shown. It just takes time.

So something has to interest YOU and convince YOU before it can be considered a science?  I am humbled by your presence.

As for computer science (did I mention that this is what my degree is in?), of course it's improved faster.  I can set a system to run a million tests and have the results within a day.  A psychology study, on the other hand, usually involves people and questionnaires and takes excessive amounts of time to administer and gather the responses before you can even get to the analysis.

Now, I'm not trying to be belligerent.  I'm more of a 'hard' sciences kind of person myself.  It's easier when everything can be placed in nice, neat columns, black or white, 1 or 0.  But humans are analog, there's a lot of gray area.  We are all different, unique, individual.  There's commonality, sure.  If there weren't, psych would never be able to exist.  Of course, we'd never have gotten off the ground as a species either.  But dismissing something just because it doesn't make sense to your worldview is only limiting yourself.

:plus:  TY, you've saved me much work.

Might I add, psychology studies are not only limited by time and difficulty in getting subjects, but also in regards to the pretty strict ethical standards that exist when expirementing on humans- ethical standards that are unnecessary when not dealing with humans.  (arguably, they're necessary when dealing with animals on some moral level, but realistically, they aren't as stringent.)
Medicine has the same restrictions, and has advanced a lot faster than psychology it seems. As for ethics, i am sure there are plenty who ignore them, hence all the researchers who show up on othe Aspie etc message boards.
Now ill answer Mordoks bit:
Put it like this, i tend to be intrested in all solid science. So for me, what I said would end up being true.
In computer science there tends to be alot more tests to do for a given problem. For example to solve Othello i believe it has a tree in the order of magnitude of 10^27 to do tests on. And that is for one simple game.
As for hard sciences, you can find lots of analogue in it too. For example Astronomy, but what you dont get is lots of astronomers parading all their stuff around as fact, they says its the theory that fits what we currently know. Psychologists way too frequently parade theory as absolute fact, hence my issue with the discipline. When they actually start to accept how little they know, and ignore some of the ethics lark a bit more, they might get somewhere. Until then, it is effectively a social science, not a real science.

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2007, 10:34:45 AM »
Medicine has the same restrictions, and has advanced a lot faster than psychology it seems.

It has similar ethical restrictions, yes.  Given that both involve human beings, that is to be expected.  But comparing them and their relative progress is an apples and oranges comparison.  Medicine is considered a natural (hard) science, while psych is considered a social (soft) science.

Let me make an analogy to computers.  Medicine is focused almost exclusively on the hardware that makes a person's body work.  Psych is focused more on the software running on one particular piece of that hardware (the brain, obviously).  Now, neither field really claims to know how the brain works in it's entirety.  So psych is trying to analyze unknown software running on not entirely understood hardware.  Added to that complexity is the fact that the software is somewhat different on each machine each of those also being somewhat different.  It can hardly be surprising that progress might be slower.

And finally on this point, what does the speed of progress have to do with anything anyway?  Math as a science is moving at a snail's pace compared to, say, Newton's time.  All science moves in fits and starts.  So what?

Now ill answer Mordoks bit:
Put it like this, i tend to be intrested in all solid science. So for me, what I said would end up being true.
In computer science there tends to be alot more tests to do for a given problem. For example to solve Othello i believe it has a tree in the order of magnitude of 10^27 to do tests on. And that is for one simple game.

I'm sorry to say, but Othello or even Chess are not computer SCIENCE problems.  They are problems where computers make excellent tools.  I can sit down with a forest's worth of paper and do the same thing.  Assuming I had a near-infinte life-span at least.  Your example problems are traditionally considered more math or game theory problems.

Again, I hate to sound belligerent, but if you do not understand what computer science is, then you should not be trying to use it to justify your point.

As for hard sciences, you can find lots of analogue in it too. For example Astronomy, but what you dont get is lots of astronomers parading all their stuff around as fact, they says its the theory that fits what we currently know.

From this, I have to assume you don't follow the ongoing debates over string theory.

Psychologists way too frequently parade theory as absolute fact, hence my issue with the discipline.

This is hardly something unique to psychology.  I may be wrong, but what I think you are seeing is the result of media's portrayal of any science.  I can't count the number of times I've seen news reports of this or a new study, particularly when they involve children (much better attention getting -- 'won't someone please think of the children!').  Very often, the news will report the study in whatever way gets the strongest reaction and few people will go back and look at the study itself.  Before you know it, 'indications that as many as 60% of the subjects' becomes 'the majority of those tested'.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who has even seen cases where the news report will make something sound the exact opposite of what the scientific report was trying to show.

Until then, it is effectively a social science, not a real science.

Yes, it is a social science.  It's part of the definition as it deals with society and those in it.  That does not mean it's not real.  I begin to think that you do not understand what science itself is at the core.  Failure to understand what something is does not make it any less real, only less real to you.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2007, 01:07:18 PM »
medicine has hardly advanced a lot faster - it's been around for thousands of years, whereas psychology has only been around for hundreds.  also, major advances in medicine are often as a result of military requirements - plastic surgery and the treatment of burns, and antibiotics, as two examples.

and to me, "science" is not a subject but a process, which can be applied to any subject, even those such as history and art.  (and i don't mean the difference between convergent and divergent thinking).

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2014, 10:45:34 AM »
Bitches be crazy.  :orly:

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2014, 11:53:16 AM »

Bitches be crazy.  :orly:

Bitches be trippin'.

Offline Zippo

• psychotic J-DAM of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Click, Click, BOOM!
« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2014, 04:08:07 AM »
I'm hungry and high right now.... God I wish I had more food and more pills fucking hospitals.

Zippo, Shotgun Surgeon.
if theres bees in the trap im catching them, by the thorax and abdomen. and sanding there stingers down to a rough quill. then i dip em in ink and i scribble a bit, and if the wriggle than i tickle them until they hold still, let me say it again, in my land of pretend, i use bees as a mother fucking pen!

Hannah

« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2014, 10:01:12 AM »
I'm hungry and high right now.... God I wish I had more food and more pills fucking hospitals.

well I feel for you...on the count of being hungry minus the high...you must be high to bump this thread  :zombiefuck:

Offline Zippo

• psychotic J-DAM of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Click, Click, BOOM!
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2014, 01:16:57 PM »

well I feel for you...on the count of being hungry minus the high...you must be high to bump this thread  :zombiefuck:

As a kite evidently, i don't remember actually bumping this.

Zippo, Shotgun Surgeon.
if theres bees in the trap im catching them, by the thorax and abdomen. and sanding there stingers down to a rough quill. then i dip em in ink and i scribble a bit, and if the wriggle than i tickle them until they hold still, let me say it again, in my land of pretend, i use bees as a mother fucking pen!

Offline awiddershinlife

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2014, 09:07:26 PM »
I always heard it was because we have teeth in our vaginas. Love me those dick on crackers...
I love everyone yet like no one    WTF

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2014, 08:34:18 AM »
I always heard it was because we have teeth in our vaginas. Love me those dick on crackers...

Remembers the movie... :LOL: