Educational

Author Topic: How far should law enforcement go to catch criminals?  (Read 795 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
How far should law enforcement go to catch criminals?
« on: July 18, 2007, 09:35:10 AM »

At first, this may seem totally USA-centric, but the implications affect all of us. Through the use of a virus, federal agents have prepared to install keyylogging spyware into suspected criminal's computers. Some of the reactions from anti-virus companies indicated that they are going to "play along" and NOT DETECT the spyware. This is another one of those very slippery slopes, if you ask me. Keylogging software makes it possible to thwart encryption attempts, by computer users.

One of our illustrious Appeals Courts has upheld a similar action, although some believe is a gross invasion of privacy.
(In both the recent Ecstasy case and the earlier key logging case involving an alleged mobster, federal agents obtained court orders authorizing them to break into buildings to install key loggers.)

Here's one story.

Anyone else see the problems with this method of criminal investigation?

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

purposefulinsanity

Re: How far should law enforcement go to catch criminals?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:49:11 AM »
  Whilst I don't have a problem with law enforcement using key logging software with a court order to do so I can see that this is potentially the top of a slippery slope.  If police spyware are put on some white list for anti-virus software as a whole (rather than just for individual cases) how is the use of such spyware going to be policed?  What's to stop them writing into the software that certain key words flag up a computer user for further monitoring?  And how are they going to ensure that this spyware stays only in their hands? 

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:12:05 AM »

I think we're on the same page, but the thing that bugs me the most is once a virus is released, how will it be controlled? Should we trust the FBI enough to not use this technology wholesale? FUCK NO!

If they have convinced the anti-virus companies to ignore it outright, it could easily end up in many computers that are NOT ordered by the courts for further investigation, including yours and mine.

At this point nothing is stopping them ...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 10:13:38 AM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 04:12:31 PM »
Of course you have to consider the source, but still:

http://www.break.com/index/are-you-friggin-kiddin-me.html
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 04:32:20 PM »
Of course you have to consider the source, but still:

http://www.break.com/index/are-you-friggin-kiddin-me.html

I'll file that away in the same mental space I used for the reports that hackers could turn people's computers into bombs by infecting them with a virus.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 06:24:27 AM »
Based on the number(not the death toll) of terrorist attacks this country has suffered I dont think the patriot act or any other special provisions that they put in place are warranted.  They only got approved because americans are complete self centered pussies and the second they get a taste of their own blood they are willing to totally abandon the freedoms they cherish for a false sense of security.  God I hate americans.  They aren't the free and the proud.  They are the free and the spoiled.  They only value freedom for the convenience it gives to them personally and individually, not value freedom for its ability to protect people from being opressed.  Freedom is beautiful because of how it is kind and respectful and celebrating of other peoples right to not be opressed not your personal convenience.  I hope that if these kind of measures go on and do not get checked that the people who supported it who were so afraid of the goddamn epidemic of terrorism in the united states suffer and suffer painfully when they personally get demonized by the government or coerced into thinking and doing only what the government deems suitable behavior.

If the government doesnt abuse it, and people arent oppressed, score one for good intentions leading to good results and a rare competance and integrity being practiced.  If they do abuse it, I hope supporters of those measures suffer endlessly.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 09:45:15 AM »

Great post, Nomaken. The only problem is that those of us who are truly fans of freedom will suffer along with the weak-kneed masses.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 08:38:11 AM »

At first, this may seem totally USA-centric, but the implications affect all of us. Through the use of a virus, federal agents have prepared to install keyylogging spyware into suspected criminal's computers. Some of the reactions from anti-virus companies indicated that they are going to "play along" and NOT DETECT the spyware. This is another one of those very slippery slopes, if you ask me. Keylogging software makes it possible to thwart encryption attempts, by computer users.

One of our illustrious Appeals Courts has upheld a similar action, although some believe is a gross invasion of privacy.
(In both the recent Ecstasy case and the earlier key logging case involving an alleged mobster, federal agents obtained court orders authorizing them to break into buildings to install key loggers.)

Here's one story.

Anyone else see the problems with this method of criminal investigation?

What law enforcement (and the big tech companies) is doing nowadays makes this look like child's play.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 10:17:42 AM »
Sounds similar to wiretap to me.