Author Topic: Ask me anything you like... Doesnt mean i'll answer though!  (Read 25877 times)

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
Re: Ask me anything you like... Doesnt mean i'll answer though!
« Reply #795 on: September 09, 2008, 03:00:43 PM »
Do you study the Lebesgue integral and have you got up to Godel's Incompleteness Theorem yet?
We have touched on the Lebesgue integral, but Godel we haven't touched. I think we do them both next year.

The thing is that I am only really doing 2/3 of a maths degree until I reach 3rd year.

Weir's 'Lebesgue Integration and Measure' is one of my favourite maths books. I sold my copy when i was skint.
I would recommend this course if there is one - most universities teach the Riemann Integral though ( when i studied anyway).

Godel's Incompleteness is amazing; though I found logic and set-theory quite tedious to study and there are few good books in this area ( especially in mathematical logic.)

I did these in my second year - the third year was beyond me.

Yeah, we did the Riemann integral in analysis this year, albeit rather briefly. I shall add those books on my reading list, I am sure they will come in handy later years, though when they cover the stuff I doubt they will give tricky questions on it, which is a relief (and we get decent choice too!) :)

It's very strange - when I was studying, only Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick covered the Lebesgue Integral so it may be of no use to you exam-wise.

What is the other third of your course?
batcat

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #796 on: September 09, 2008, 03:04:16 PM »
I get "This video is not available in your country." WTF
Its probably because its on the BBC, our national network.

The fuckers. Why can't they make stuff available like everyone else? Part of their mission statement actually concerns the advancement of anything British to the world... ::)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #797 on: September 09, 2008, 03:04:49 PM »
I passed btw, got a 2:1 for the year overall ;D

:woohoo:

Congrats!!!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #798 on: September 09, 2008, 08:44:09 PM »

That's great, Hadron.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #799 on: September 10, 2008, 02:00:05 AM »

The fuckers. Why can't they make stuff available like everyone else? Part of their mission statement actually concerns the advancement of anything British to the world... ::)

as i've said to you before, i suspect it's part of the licensing thing.  and i agree with that, in some ways: why should license-payers have to pay for it and others get it for free?

duncvis

« Reply #800 on: September 10, 2008, 04:19:30 AM »
A better question is why is there a fucking licence in the first place? the fuckers make plenty off fucking merchandising and exporting content to overseas networks anyway. TV tax = fail.  >:(

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #801 on: September 10, 2008, 06:08:33 AM »
A better question is why is there a fucking licence in the first place? the fuckers make plenty off fucking merchandising and exporting content to overseas networks anyway. TV tax = fail.  >:(
The license is a good idea, unfortunately the BBC have been putting on too much popular TV and nothing particularly special or adventurous. Really they should be banned from buying up sports licensing rights for mainstream sports and cut the extra channels, then we would see an improvement almost overnight.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #802 on: September 10, 2008, 03:00:28 PM »
having been forced to watch telly at my mum's for five days, i think each set should come with a lobotomy.  i've never seen such a load of shite, or been so patronised to within an inch of my life, ever!

of course, i live for Radio 4...  :heart:

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #803 on: September 10, 2008, 03:28:01 PM »
having been forced to watch telly at my mum's for five days, i think each set should come with a lobotomy.  i've never seen such a load of shite, or been so patronised to within an inch of my life, ever!

Yep, most stuff is just awful now. What is really bad is that the masses watch it, and we are degenerating as a society as a result.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #804 on: September 10, 2008, 05:06:13 PM »

as i've said to you before, i suspect it's part of the licensing thing.  and i agree with that, in some ways: why should license-payers have to pay for it and others get it for free?

As I said: it's part of their mission statement. It's what they get financing for.

That's how the Swedes do it. To *not* make it available is just lame.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #805 on: September 10, 2008, 05:07:07 PM »

:indeed:

It's doomed to fail. And even now, they cheat.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #806 on: September 10, 2008, 05:08:41 PM »

Yep, most stuff is just awful now. What is really bad is that the masses watch it, and we are degenerating as a society as a result.

And which is why the rest of the world agrees. Time to have another look at the initial budget, I feel.

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #807 on: September 10, 2008, 07:23:13 PM »
:clap: That's awesome, good on you!
 :plus:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #808 on: September 10, 2008, 07:26:07 PM »
Do you study the Lebesgue integral and have you got up to Godel's Incompleteness Theorem yet?
We have touched on the Lebesgue integral, but Godel we haven't touched. I think we do them both next year.

The thing is that I am only really doing 2/3 of a maths degree until I reach 3rd year.

Weir's 'Lebesgue Integration and Measure' is one of my favourite maths books. I sold my copy when i was skint.
I would recommend this course if there is one - most universities teach the Riemann Integral though ( when i studied anyway).

Godel's Incompleteness is amazing; though I found logic and set-theory quite tedious to study and there are few good books in this area ( especially in mathematical logic.)

Yeah, we did the Riemann integral in analysis this year, albeit rather briefly. I shall add those books on my reading list, I am sure they will come in handy later years, though when they cover the stuff I doubt they will give tricky questions on it, which is a relief (and we get decent choice too!) :)

It's very strange - when I was studying, only Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick covered the Lebesgue Integral so it may be of no use to you exam-wise.

What is the other third of your course?

I am starting politics as a new subject, so I get to do that for the next 2 years.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #809 on: September 11, 2008, 04:21:46 AM »

Bullshit. I thought they were the most boring text books ever written. I'm surprised they were even included in the syllabus.

And I can understand why the 3rd year was beyond you, given as it took at least 2 attempts to get through 2nd.