Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 158612 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #2775 on: January 11, 2011, 09:17:07 AM »
I had a nice long post about King Cake but when I was almost finished I went to eject a music CD from the computer and hit the off button instead, so bye-bye post  :emb:.

As far as I can recall off the top of my short little head:  The King Cake goes back to France (and maybe some other countries as well) in the Middle Ages.  A bean or coin was baked into a brioche type cake.  The person who got the bean was the Boy King in Paris for one day.  It was traditionally apprentices who were allowed to participate in this.  The Boy King "ruled" for Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday.

The Twelfth Night Revelers start the Carnival season in New Orleans.  Their ball is on Jan 6, or Twelfth Night.  The King is always chosen before hand.  The Queen is chosen because her piece of King Cake contains a golden bean, the maids receive pieces with silver beans.  Carnival runs from Jan 6 through midnight on Mardi Gras (the day before Ash Wednesday). 

Sometime after WW2, the bean was replaced with a china doll.  A while after that plastic dolls were used.  You don't stand much of a chance of cutting the baby since the cake is more like a coffee cake now and cut with a regular knife.  The danger is in biting into one.  However, I haven't heard of any broken teeth since everyone knows about the baby and chews gently until someone finds it.  Now the cakes are sold with the baby outside the cake and you put it in the cake through the underside.

It is traditional for businesses to have a King Cake on Jan 6.  Every Friday through Carnival there is a brief King Cake party (during a coffee break) at work and who ever gets the baby has to buy the next King Cake.  More than one person has eaten the baby to avoid buying the next cake, but most people go with the fun.

BTW, Mardi Gras is technically just one day, the day before Ash Wednesday.  Through the years it's come to encompass the days before.

:plus:  for the history! Though I must say, I prefer my cakes without dolls in them. I don't even like nuts  in cake!
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #2776 on: January 11, 2011, 10:55:35 AM »
I had a nice long post about King Cake but when I was almost finished I went to eject a music CD from the computer and hit the off button instead, so bye-bye post  :emb:.

As far as I can recall off the top of my short little head:  The King Cake goes back to France (and maybe some other countries as well) in the Middle Ages.  A bean or coin was baked into a brioche type cake.  The person who got the bean was the Boy King in Paris for one day.  It was traditionally apprentices who were allowed to participate in this.  The Boy King "ruled" for Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday.

The Twelfth Night Revelers start the Carnival season in New Orleans.  Their ball is on Jan 6, or Twelfth Night.  The King is always chosen before hand.  The Queen is chosen because her piece of King Cake contains a golden bean, the maids receive pieces with silver beans.  Carnival runs from Jan 6 through midnight on Mardi Gras (the day before Ash Wednesday). 

Sometime after WW2, the bean was replaced with a china doll.  A while after that plastic dolls were used.  You don't stand much of a chance of cutting the baby since the cake is more like a coffee cake now and cut with a regular knife.  The danger is in biting into one.  However, I haven't heard of any broken teeth since everyone knows about the baby and chews gently until someone finds it.  Now the cakes are sold with the baby outside the cake and you put it in the cake through the underside.

It is traditional for businesses to have a King Cake on Jan 6.  Every Friday through Carnival there is a brief King Cake party (during a coffee break) at work and who ever gets the baby has to buy the next King Cake.  More than one person has eaten the baby to avoid buying the next cake, but most people go with the fun.

BTW, Mardi Gras is technically just one day, the day before Ash Wednesday.  Through the years it's come to encompass the days before.

:plus:  for the history! Though I must say, I prefer my cakes without dolls in them. I don't even like nuts  in cake!

You don't like nuts?  :orly:

This could go several ways. For example, "You don't like nuts? Why are you on I2?". Or I could leave it as a sexual innuendo. "You don't like nuts? :eyebrows:" I'm torn on the issue.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2777 on: January 11, 2011, 10:57:51 AM »

This could go several ways. For example, "You don't like nuts? Why are you on I2?". Or I could leave it as a sexual innuendo. "You don't like nuts? :eyebrows:" I'm torn on the issue.

Take it literally, as in, I don't like walnuts/almonds/pecans, etc. in my food.  :asthing:

People forget.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #2778 on: January 11, 2011, 11:03:01 AM »

Take it literally, as in, I don't like walnuts/almonds/pecans, etc. in my food.  :asthing:

Very well, although that interpretation lacks drama.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2779 on: January 11, 2011, 11:05:25 AM »

Very well, although that interpretation lacks drama.

I should add that I don't like to see random nuts or peens online, which I why I had richard on ignore when he had  THAT AVATAR! :zombiefuck:

People forget.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2780 on: January 11, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Duct tape. a new respirator.spray foam and winter hose. fun fun  :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2781 on: January 11, 2011, 05:36:35 PM »

You can do alot with duct tape.  :thumbup:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2782 on: January 11, 2011, 06:38:51 PM »

I buy and use about 50 rolls a year :o  It's what I use to hook all the hoses together for work

George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2783 on: January 11, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »
I just made a credit card payment.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2784 on: January 12, 2011, 04:47:14 PM »
Couple of shirts, needed food, and couple of days ago bought tulips, still in green buds. Colour was going to be a surprise. They turn out to be a very nice red.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2785 on: January 12, 2011, 11:47:59 PM »

I buy and use about 50 rolls a year :o  It's what I use to hook all the ho's together for work

Fixed and photo: 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2786 on: January 13, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »

I buy and use about 50 rolls a year :o  It's what I use to hook all the ho's together for work

Fixed and photo: 

Ouch, undressing will be so painful.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2787 on: January 14, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »
My thoughts exactly.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2788 on: January 14, 2011, 03:28:37 PM »
My kids have made clothing from duct tape :laugh:

George Bernard Shaw

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #2789 on: January 14, 2011, 06:33:50 PM »
One of your kids eh? :zoinks:

I bought a wireless intervalometer trigger for the cameras. Extremely long exposures and time-lapse here we come!