Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 157159 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #2670 on: December 17, 2010, 01:43:33 AM »
 :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

eris

« Reply #2671 on: December 17, 2010, 07:22:32 AM »
Wow, all you guys buy so many nice things. Must be nice to have money. I bought another month in this shit-hole apartment, and I bought some beer. Thats all I can afford.  ;)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2672 on: December 17, 2010, 09:34:12 AM »
My fire salamanders arrived.  I bought 5 of them; a sexed pair of S.s.terrestris sub-adults, 2 S.s.gallacia juveniles and 1 S.s.crespoi juvenile, and I've housed them in 3 vivariums.  One of the S.s.terrestris sub-adults climbed onto my hand and said hello while I was unboxing them, and the gallacia juveniles are following each other around and hunting flies.

I also bought some more axolotl eggs.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2673 on: December 17, 2010, 09:40:33 AM »
My fire salamanders arrived.  I bought 5 of them; a sexed pair of S.s.terrestris sub-adults, 2 S.s.gallacia juveniles and 1 S.s.crespoi juvenile, and I've housed them in 3 vivariums.  One of the S.s.terrestris sub-adults climbed onto my hand and said hello while I was unboxing them, and the gallacia juveniles are following each other around and hunting flies.

You would have made a very nice Naturalist in Victorian times.  There was a small, but important current of nature enthuasists in my time.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2674 on: December 17, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »
Coffee
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2675 on: December 17, 2010, 05:00:49 PM »

You would have made a very nice Naturalist in Victorian times.  There was a small, but important current of nature enthuasists in my time.

Living in Victorian times would have sucked though, so I don't mind if I missed out on being placed alongside Darwin and Mendel in the high-school biology textbooks.

I'm a bit concerned about one of the salamanders; it's one of the sub-adults, and it hasn't explored it's new habitat like it's partner and the juveniles did, or eaten anything.  It's moved around a little bit, but hasn't ventured out of the plastic tub that it arrived in.  It's partner found a place for a burrow and stayed there for a couple of hours, but when the other one didn't join it, it went back into the plastic tub and has been lying on top of the other one for the past few hours, and looks like it's protecting it from a menacing woodlouse that's sitting in the corner of the tub.

The juveniles have been busy exploring and sampling the various foods that I've presented them with.  Judging by their reactions, woodlice are ok, but a bit hard to swallow, millipedes taste yucky, various flightless flies are tasty and fun to hunt, waxworms are delicious and strips of chicken are very nice, if nutritionally incomplete.  They're all very tame; they don't seem to mind my presence at all, and the juveniles have been taking food straight from my hand.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2676 on: December 18, 2010, 05:25:40 AM »
I moistened the sub-adult's skin with a dilute solution of physiological salts this morning, and it finally crawled out of it's plastic tub and burrowed under the acrylic beach in it's tank.  It's skin was looking a bit wrinkly, and I think it was dehydrated.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2677 on: December 18, 2010, 07:46:46 AM »
Good luck with your sub-adult, Peter, hope s/he rallies and grows up strong.  :thumbup:

"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2678 on: December 18, 2010, 07:47:46 AM »
As for me, yesterday I bought $70 worth of quarters to use in the laundry machines!   :2thumbsup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2679 on: December 18, 2010, 11:19:47 AM »
A wood lathe
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #2680 on: December 18, 2010, 11:38:27 AM »
My brother's christmas presents.
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2681 on: December 18, 2010, 12:53:20 PM »
Food.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2682 on: December 18, 2010, 01:14:47 PM »
Some books, a shirt and some eating utensils.  We keep on losing forks.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Chair

« Reply #2683 on: December 19, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »
A first hardcover edition of A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving:

A Prayer for Owen Meany is a novel by American writer John Irving, first published in 1989. It tells the story of John Wheelwright and his best friend Owen Meany growing up together in a small New England town during the 1950-60s. Owen is a remarkable boy in many ways; he believes himself to be God's instrument and journeys on a truly extraordinary path.

Not my favorite Irving book, but still good.

I now have first editions of the most acclaimed John Irving novels. I'll eventually add The Hotel New Hampshire to my collection, but that probably won't be until next year.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:52:14 PM by James Bond »

eris

« Reply #2684 on: December 19, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
^^^ The Hotel New Hampsire is one of my favorite book of all time. John Irving is brilliant.