Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 156675 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #1875 on: July 20, 2010, 09:01:19 PM »
I wonder what would happen to an engine with milk instead of motor oil... :laugh:

While there is some fat in milk, which might be a short term substitute for oil, the amount of sugars in milk would almost immediately turn to solid carbon compounds after exposure to the degree of heat inherent to a working engine and seize the mechanical moving parts before you could get far.  I do not think that even a Holstein cow (well known as having the highest fat content in their milk) could keep an engine going for long with her most heavily flowing mucous excretion.

It would be a relatively quick death for that engine.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #1876 on: July 21, 2010, 07:53:21 AM »
Evangellion 1.11 on Bluray and Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1877 on: July 21, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »
I wonder what would happen to an engine with milk instead of motor oil... :laugh:

While there is some fat in milk, which might be a short term substitute for oil, the amount of sugars in milk would almost immediately turn to solid carbon compounds after exposure to the degree of heat inherent to a working engine and seize the mechanical moving parts before you could get far.  I do not think that even a Holstein cow (well known as having the highest fat content in their milk) could keep an engine going for long with her most heavily flowing mucous excretion.

I bet it would stink also :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #1878 on: July 21, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »
Lens assembly for $15 for a digital camera someone gave me, older 8.1 MP but I like the camera buttons are in all the right places :zoinks:.

Lens however is fucked up.  :zombiefuck:

Another thing to take apart. :lol:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1879 on: July 21, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »

I don't know, but it probably wouldn't moove. (ouch)

*groan*
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1880 on: July 21, 2010, 03:38:29 PM »
Lens assembly for $15 for a digital camera someone gave me, older 8.1 MP but I like the camera buttons are in all the right places :zoinks:.

Post pics if you have another camera available.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1881 on: July 21, 2010, 03:50:26 PM »
Lots of gas
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #1882 on: July 21, 2010, 04:36:25 PM »

Post pics if you have another camera available.

I do.

Just have to wait on the mailman. Gotta love Ebay they have everything. :laugh:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1883 on: July 21, 2010, 05:05:02 PM »

I bet it would stink also :zombiefuck:

Very distinct stench too.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

P7PSP

« Reply #1884 on: July 21, 2010, 08:28:15 PM »

Congrats on your new toy.  :2thumbsup:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1885 on: July 22, 2010, 03:56:29 PM »

Nothing, but another Two Tera-byte external. external.

I have had the guys tell me to steer clear of the current 2ts, because of massive failures.  But, I have four of them and I have had no troubles yet.

... this will make number five.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1886 on: July 22, 2010, 04:00:03 PM »
Two TERAbyte? Wow. I want one.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1887 on: July 22, 2010, 06:10:23 PM »
Two TERAbyte? Wow. I want one.

I have mostly music on two of them and  mostly movies on the others.  (I have them all hooked up, but disabled in the BIOS of my main computer - otherwise the stupid thing would try to index each one during the boot process, being USB and all)

My living room plasma (newish last winter) has wi-fi built in and only requires an antenna and I can play any of the many files on the four, two terabyte drives right on the screen, but my bedroom television requires a separate "player, wi-fi device"  in order to access things.  The data is simply recognised within the television as another input (HDMI with the "proper box"  but I just use the net stuff - it kicks ass as well as most of the files I have at hand - my movie files are mostly DVD rips, but as bluray becomes the new standard, I will probably need to replace a great many of my favorite files with rips from true HD bluray discs (OH, I forgot to mention, yesterday - I will need to multiply my storage space by a factor of seven as I move into Bluray rips for all my movies).  Right now, I am happy with upconverting ...), but the television remote will access all my files, via wi-fi/usb/cable modem, etc.  as long as the main computer is up.  (I do not actually use that computer, except as a "server"  or a central connection point.  I am posting on a six month old, store-bought Gateway, that I got for a song in closeout. The one I built recently does the central stuff and - as it rests - my hobby interest graphical renderings. )

So far, it ALL works fine.  (OH, I forgot to mention, I have another setup [same in theory, but somewhat different in protocol] feeding files to my garage/outdoor system as well)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:42:05 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1888 on: July 23, 2010, 12:38:02 PM »
Very cool, dawg. I'd love a demo of the setups. I've been thinking about setting up something like that but so far it's just a thought.

Me, I've bought this......

DVDs
New maps for the GPS
Electronics solvent
Miniature screwdrivers
ESD wristband thingie

and of course, the D-50  :headbang2:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lemon Aguilera

• lemonese pudding
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1889 on: July 23, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »

I don't know, but it probably wouldn't moove. (ouch)

*groan*

haha that's funny. moo jokes always get me.
"the dreams we dream together become reality" - John Lemon