Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 158527 times)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #1425 on: November 12, 2008, 08:10:25 PM »
I thought everyone here knew about Jenny. I knew of her after she appeared in Scream 3 and then I learned she had an autistic son. Then I started seeing hateful discussions about her in the autistic community and I saw some of the videos about her. She appeared on talk shows.

I think she wouldn't be hated in the autistic community if she didn't say she cured her son and she was going to save him from the autism and say the vaccine made her son autistic.

Offline klox

• Constant Poster
« Reply #1426 on: November 12, 2008, 08:16:23 PM »
480oC proof spraypaint.

What are you going to paint with that, a barbecue grill?

Australian barbecues are at least...uh...three times hotter than that!  :P

But seriously, it is for the brakes on the car. :)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1427 on: November 12, 2008, 11:47:25 PM »
Kind of weird, but I have gone a little nutty buying music DVDs. I bought every one they had at the  Half - Priced Book store today (a place to buy used stuff).

Some rock, some jazz.

The Who
Cream
Charlie Parker
Chick Corea
BB King
(Various artists) Jazz In The Park
Stray Cats
Donna Summer
Tesla
Bob Dylan

and

Four from the PBS series titled simply, "Jazz" about the beginnings of jazz.

I'm going to spring for the Jimi Hendrix DVD collection we have at work, too. I have one serious hell-of-a-lot of his work on CDs and LPs, but I only own one Super8 format vid, and one worn out "In The West" VHS. I don't even own a projector for the 8mm anymore, so I can't watch that one at all.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:49:37 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1428 on: November 13, 2008, 12:20:26 AM »
Maybe she wasn't quite so fat, as pregnant when you met her Dawg. 

:zoinks:

Uhm, no. There is quite an obvious difference to me.

Spokane Girl, as far as following the "autistic community"  ...

I honestly don't bother with it. I tried Wrong Planet for a few months, then found this place and quit looking. The only other sites I have been to were the ones associated with members here, such as Dunc's Drivel, OTS, Kevv's site, P's site. I joined the Elder (what ever it was) but did not know anyone and found nothing of interest at all at the place. I haven't been back.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1429 on: November 13, 2008, 08:21:59 PM »
In Hollywood, if you don't wear a size 0, you're fat. In the none Hollywood community, you are not fat, even if you wear a size 8. So lot of celebrities get called fat even though they are not.

Autistic community, I didn't mean just WP, I have seen it on other autism sites; AFF, autism speaks, IMDB forum about her (I assume the autistics made the hateful posts about her there), I think that's it. But I also thought some here also heard about her because some of them seem to do research on autism and bam, that's how they heard of her and post article links about her in the forums. Callaway sure knew about her somehow. I knew through reading Parenting magazines but I already knew because it said on IMDB. It was random.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1430 on: November 13, 2008, 09:12:34 PM »

I knew what you meant about the "community."  Kind of like the site that Callaway linked to to bring me up to speed on the McCarthy thing - to me all those kind of sites are hype, either promotional or political hype. Those things are the scourge of the internet, in my opinion, like commercial television.

When I saw her at an MDA charity function (I was still doing volunteer work for them, then), it was sometime in 2000 and she was probably a size eight, but like you said not "celebrity model material" anymore. Still very attractive, though. She was not there because of her modeling career, either. She was doing a stand-up comedy routine. Her best material was making the audience think that she was about to get into trouble over telling a really dirty joke and the punchline turns out to be totally "G-rated."  I think she had just finished a movie, maybe the one you were talking about.

When I researched the vaccine thing, there was no evidence that it could cause symptoms of autism. I did not know that she had started it and appeared on Oprah, etc. Shows you how much television I watch, eh?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1431 on: November 13, 2008, 11:16:27 PM »

I knew what you meant about the "community."  Kind of like the site that Callaway linked to to bring me up to speed on the McCarthy thing - to me all those kind of sites are hype, either promotional or political hype. Those things are the scourge of the internet, in my opinion, like commercial television.

The Generation Rescue site that I linked is actually Jenny McCarthy's site.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1432 on: November 14, 2008, 12:08:18 AM »

The Generation Rescue site that I linked is actually Jenny McCarthy's site.

Yes, I went there and developed the opinion that it is strictly a commercial site used to promote her books and appearances. It's full of hype.

I generally avoid using those, if I can.

:D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:52:23 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #1433 on: November 14, 2008, 04:48:30 AM »
Copy holder for my (temporary) data entry job. Best $10 I've spent in a while, besides beer.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1434 on: November 14, 2008, 01:32:46 PM »
A Sony PS3.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1435 on: November 14, 2008, 02:47:19 PM »
Insulation
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1436 on: November 14, 2008, 03:35:42 PM »
Bought the services of carpenters and various handymen to replace roof tiles and windows.

Not cheap.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1437 on: November 14, 2008, 04:11:23 PM »
Bought the services of carpenters and various handymen to replace roof tiles and windows.

Not cheap.

You could always fly me over :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1438 on: November 14, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »

Not cheap.

You could always fly me over :laugh:

Believe me, mate, I would have if at all possible, financially speaking.

The beers would have been on me also.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #1439 on: November 14, 2008, 04:29:03 PM »
2 small bottles of Jagermeister
1 small bottle of JDs
Vindaloo (holy fuck it was hot :gwah:)