Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 156356 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #810 on: May 10, 2008, 08:19:13 PM »
What make and model are they, Dawg?

Sorry, I didn't see this before, but info is here.

Don't read this set of reviews, though, because they are retarded as fuck. One reviewer posted that he wanted more "explosive sound and bass"

All I can say is that his sound card, DA/AD converter or what ever must be a piece of shit, because it is the dynamics that have seduced me.

I have some decent headsets to compare with - professional Koss, hi-dollar Bose, serious (four different) AKG, vintage electrostatics, two Beyer Dynamic, several Sennheisers and two vintage Shure,  but all are wired. They don't stand in the same room with my thousand dollar (twenty years ago) Sennheisers or (half that price) AKGs  (which are the only ones I have compared them with as yet - I know. Unfair!), but these are fine for what I need.

I have recently had the Koss and the Bose out, too,  and I think these sound better than the Koss, but similar to the Bose. I would have to try them side-by-side to determine a favorite.

They also offer a set with an AD/DA converter built in and they work in the 2.4 Ghz range. That would eliminate any FM radio issues, but they are three times the price of these.

Happy!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #811 on: May 10, 2008, 08:27:48 PM »
Steak. 
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #812 on: May 10, 2008, 08:30:46 PM »
Let's see - I've bought another damn dog  :laugh: and I've got to run and get some more cigs very soon

Ease up a bit on my kindred.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline tiredofit

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #813 on: May 10, 2008, 08:38:13 PM »
hehehe - I wouldn't have 4 of them if I didn't love them  8)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #814 on: May 11, 2008, 04:16:18 AM »
Let's see - I've bought another damn dog  :laugh: and I've got to run and get some more cigs very soon

yay - cigs! 

we social pariahs should stick together.  ;)

Offline tiredofit

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #815 on: May 11, 2008, 07:17:23 AM »
Damn city outlawed smoking in bars where I live on 7/1 - aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  :finger:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #816 on: May 11, 2008, 08:51:07 AM »
Damn city outlawed smoking in bars where I live on 7/1 - aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  :finger:

I really think this is a bad idea even thought I don't smoke make non smoking bars for those who want them
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #817 on: May 11, 2008, 03:40:39 PM »
What make and model are they, Dawg?

Sorry, I didn't see this before, but info is here.

Have to look into those. What's their range, have you found out yet?

Don't read this set of reviews, though, because they are retarded as fuck. One reviewer posted that he wanted more "explosive sound and bass"

All I can say is that his sound card, DA/AD converter or what ever must be a piece of shit, because it is the dynamics that have seduced me.

I have some decent headsets to compare with - professional Koss, hi-dollar Bose, serious (four different) AKG, vintage electrostatics, two Beyer Dynamic, several Sennheisers and two vintage Shure,  but all are wired. They don't stand in the same room with my thousand dollar (twenty years ago) Sennheisers or (half that price) AKGs  (which are the only ones I have compared them with as yet - I know. Unfair!), but these are fine for what I need.

I have recently had the Koss and the Bose out, too,  and I think these sound better than the Koss, but similar to the Bose. I would have to try them side-by-side to determine a favorite.

I've had trouble taking Bose seriously ever since they installed a 3-metre subwoofer "pipe" in a cinema I worked at, plus tiny little screen channels to handle all the rest... This pipe thingy produced only discrete frequencies, namely those that matched its length, and sounded awful, in my humble opinion.

But maybe their headphones are better?!

Koss, on the other hand... I love them. :)

They also offer a set with an AD/DA converter built in and they work in the 2.4 Ghz range. That would eliminate any FM radio issues, but they are three times the price of these.

Happy!

but you'd face problems with people who have wireless internets... ;)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #818 on: May 11, 2008, 04:49:44 PM »
Quarter wave designs often do an amazing job of controlling a driver's free air resonance, but I don't see that approach as beneficial in a high output system.

I have not discovered the max range of my headphones, yet. I think the specifications mention something about one hundred fifty feet.  I am sure that assumes ideal conditions, which I do not have.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #819 on: May 12, 2008, 12:58:23 PM »
The sound quality will probably suffer long before that, right?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #820 on: May 12, 2008, 07:42:52 PM »
The sound quality will probably suffer long before that, right?

I have only tried them to about seventy feet, but assuming an exponential depreciation rate ...

... my fence is not much farther away.

There is no detectable difference in one foot and seventy feet, for what ever that amt be worth.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #821 on: May 13, 2008, 05:33:39 AM »
Gas at $3.90 a gallon :o
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #822 on: May 13, 2008, 03:42:43 PM »
Gas at $3.90 a gallon :o

How much is that in hurdygurdies?

:D

(sorry, but you had to be there)

Local cheap gas at Meijer hit four dollars per gallon, today. It made the news, here.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #823 on: May 14, 2008, 03:49:43 AM »
All converted for you, we pay about ~USD$4.94 a gallon (~AUD$1.40 a litre)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #824 on: May 14, 2008, 02:34:05 PM »
That's cheap when compared to what we pay for it.

- Albert Einstein