Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 155832 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #315 on: September 01, 2007, 02:48:25 PM »
i discovered just the other day that i didn't own a copy of the matrix. i thought i did. must be all those times i screened it. ???

i've only got it on video, and haven't got a telly, or a video player.  :bigcry:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #316 on: September 01, 2007, 02:49:40 PM »
bought a bunch of new speakers, yesterday.

Ooh! Ooh! Oo h! Whadja get? Whadja get?

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Danish speakers, from Dali. Great stuff. I got the "5" in "5.1" (already have a good sub). ;D

Awesome!
I have not heard them, but they have an excellent reputation among the audiophile community, especially the dual-woofer, floor standers.

Do you have one of their bi-polar bass reflex subwoofers?

... or are you talking about a different subaudible system?

i have an older pioneer subwoofer that i want to get rid of--it doesn't really compare to the dali speakers in any way. a dali subwoofer is on my shopping list, when i have enough money to spend again. ;D

i love the sound of these new speakers.

I'll bet they do sound sweet! There's nothing better than a well matched system for your surround sound.

That Pioneer is severely outclassed, I would guess. I have heard many different ones and they are all loaded with second order harmonic distortion. Not too bad in the fourth and sixth harmonic range and the Intermodulation Distortion is tolerable, so they still sound OK, just not truly accurate. Once you upgrade that baby, you will be in audio nirvana!

I had a dual eighteen inch Velodyne for a couple of years, which is well respected on this side of the ocean. Believe it or not, I have replaced it with a pair of twin fifteen inch JBL based cabinets of my own design. I constructed a simple dual chamber bass reflex, one chamber tuned higher than the other so the resonant peaks are widely spread across the spectrum. It only goes down to sixteen Hertz though and I have measured eight Hertz on DVD audio tracks before. I guess I need to design an infrasonic system next.
 ::)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #317 on: September 01, 2007, 03:23:41 PM »
oh, but JBL knows how to make speakers, DD. we have them at "my theatre" and they are simply awesome. the 8 Hz stuff probably isn't real on the dvd, though--in the case of Dolby SRD, they're probably an artifact of a bad transfer of the AC3 stream. don't know enough about dts to make that assumption, though.

and yes, i'm thinking of ditching the pioneer now. it doesn't match, and it's ugly to boot.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #318 on: September 01, 2007, 05:32:03 PM »
oh, but JBL knows how to make speakers, DD. we have them at "my theatre" and they are simply awesome. the 8 Hz stuff probably isn't real on the dvd, though--in the case of Dolby SRD, they're probably an artifact of a bad transfer of the AC3 stream. don't know enough about dts to make that assumption, though.

and yes, i'm thinking of ditching the pioneer now. it doesn't match, and it's ugly to boot.
JBLs are my favorite raw drivers to build around, for most uses.

Oh, you could be right about there being some artifacts included in my stream and I understand their spec is from 20Hz to 20kHz, but the low frequencies are there, as coherent waveforms, during the cannon blasts in Master and Commander (I fucking love that movie!). Whether these Low Frequency Effects were actually recorded or just processed with a subharmonic generator, I don't know. It actually causes a little nausea in the sweet spot, even though my subwoofer system is about fifteen dB down from specs at eight Hertz. My calibration charts only go to sixteen Hertz, though, so I'm kind of interpolating decibels, below that. The only problem I have with my set-up is that my enclosures, which are designed to optimise a certain bandwidth, unload the drivers at around twelve Hertz. It's a good thing I don't have close neighbors, sometimes.
 :evillaugh:

I have seen some artifacts which may be like you're talking about though. There are often similar noises, not really tones, that start and stop suddenly on the scope, with no fade out on many soundtracks. They also look more like clipped sawtooth waveforms than sine based. I think compression and de-compression will always be a problem, no matter what they do.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 05:58:22 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #319 on: September 02, 2007, 05:10:09 AM »
dude you wear womens pants

Indeed. Haven't broken down and
started wearing a skirt yet, but I love
this town. If I stay, I probably shall.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #320 on: September 02, 2007, 05:12:18 AM »
Condoms

Do you wear one all the time - just in case?

:laugh:

Wearing two, and ripping one off before
sex, is the RIGHT way to do it.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #321 on: September 02, 2007, 05:13:49 AM »
A Douglas Fir The Talking Tree at a yard sale. Only a buck fifty.

I can remember my brother getting our mother one of those for Christmas and we brought it to my grandparents house as a joke and told them we brought them a tree since they don't have one up and it went off and started singing. My grandmother liked it.

I have one of those! My son drives me nuts with it every Christmas. Scared the hell out of the cat last year.

I used to torture my wife with the threat of
buying her one for Christmas. She was scared
of him.  :laugh:

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #322 on: September 02, 2007, 05:14:31 AM »
Got a GI Joe with the Kng Fu grip.

I always wanted ChromeDome

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #323 on: September 02, 2007, 06:49:14 PM »

I can remember my brother getting our mother one of those for Christmas and we brought it to my grandparents house as a joke and told them we brought them a tree since they don't have one up and it went off and started singing. My grandmother liked it.

I have one of those! My son drives me nuts with it every Christmas. Scared the hell out of the cat last year.

Can't say I blame her. At 2:00 am you trip down the steps after 3 glasses of wine and Douglas the Fir's eyes start glowing and he starts singing. 

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #324 on: September 02, 2007, 07:05:28 PM »
At an estate sale today I bought a siren speaker off some sort of emergency vehicle, a set of those spiky thing that strap to your boots to climb trees,and a Remington power fastener odd lot huh?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #325 on: September 02, 2007, 07:15:33 PM »
At an estate sale today I bought a siren speaker off some sort of emergency vehicle, a set of those spiky thing that strap to your boots to climb trees,and a Remington power fastener odd lot huh?

Well you did better than I did at least, today's yard sale haul was a bagful of curtains and a couple of throw rugs.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #326 on: September 02, 2007, 07:24:11 PM »

Well you did better than I did at least, today's yard sale haul was a bagful of curtains and a couple of throw rugs.

They haven't been very good lately for me either.  I buy a lot of stuff for resale at a local flea market and I am starting to run low.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #327 on: September 02, 2007, 10:41:25 PM »

Can't say I blame her. At 2:00 am you trip down the steps after 3 glasses of wine and Douglas the Fir's eyes start glowing and he starts singing. 

My mother bought one of those for my husband a few years ago for Christmas.  I love your description.

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #328 on: September 03, 2007, 10:44:32 PM »
I bought a new Zen V Plus Mp3 player because I'm sick of my stupid ipod always breaking down. The Zen player is much better than that apple shit.
Park.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #329 on: September 04, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »
"Aspergers in the Family" by Liane Holliday Willey.