Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 157957 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #9870 on: April 15, 2023, 10:13:06 PM »
I agree with all the sentiment that even the best electronic keyboard is not the same as an acoustic piano. I need it to be acoustic, I could never manage to interest myself in keyboards back when WolFish and I were moving every few years, even though he encouraged me to try.

I never considered that I might be able to learn to tune it myself. I may look into that.

Something that disturbed me in recent years is that my perfect pitch seemed to be fading. It was off by almost a whole note, and songs that I used to listen to and know exactly what note was being played now sounded like they were being played in a different key. That was disturbing and wrong. I badly need to retrain my ear and I hope this will help.

I had a really awesome conversation with the piano salesman when I was first trying out different pianos, where he explained in detail how to distinguish the different tones of various brands and types of pianos, as well as the details of their construction and what makes certain elements high quality. One could geek out with this guy for ages. As part of his work he got to personally visit the factory where some of the pianos were made, and learn all kinds of things.

He let me try a fancy Steinway grand, just to see what really good sounded like, so I could compare the others against it. A tone that I associate with professional classical music recordings, and I had thought was a consequence of high quality microphones and sound equipment, was actually the piano itself. A kind of resonance especially in the bass notes.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #9871 on: April 17, 2023, 09:17:16 PM »
I bought Sugarbutt a new ceramic coated pan for his eggs.  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #9872 on: April 19, 2023, 10:04:59 PM »
Halo Tops Ice Cream, and Mango Pepsi Zero Sugar (next time I'm going to Speedway, I'm getting my fountain drink for free with my points)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9873 on: April 20, 2023, 06:48:00 AM »
I splurged a little at the local nursery. I bought some hostas to fill in an area toward the back bed that has lain a little fallow in the past year. Filling in the barren area is the goal.
Additionally, a slew of deep purple "Wave" petunias for the edge of our patio to create a statement, some variegated vinca for trailing downward interest, a Dracena cultivar for some height, many bags of prepared potting mix, mulch, vermiculite, pearlite and organics (bloodmeal, bonemeal) and some superphosphates, sphagnum moss ... ... ...

I will need my shovel!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 11:55:56 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9874 on: April 20, 2023, 07:23:23 AM »
I also bought some bench organizer bins. I will mount them at the back of my bench. I have two benches, so I have not decided which bench gets the update, yet.

One bench is the one that I built many years ago. I could literally work on diesel truck engines on it. It is sturdy!
The other came with my "finished" garage, kind of shitty, wimpy, but it was installed and it has drawers so I left it.

These are cool. I am probably going to get another set for the wall.  (Amazon)

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9875 on: April 20, 2023, 07:41:42 AM »

Then, to spruce up the outer area a bit, I ordered a set of wind chimes for each end of the patio.

On the corner wall of the house I have rebuilt my old set of chimes, which I made from six foot wide window shades we used to use as backgrounds when photographing portraits. The inner rollers are simply chimes, but no one knew it, until I stripped one of all its guts in and out and hit it while being suspended gently. I KNEW it!! These are CHIMES!
So I salvaged eight of them as they continued to fail mechanically in thier intended usage.

These do not sound like "Ting, teng, bing, ging, ding, king, twinkle, twinkle" but more like large orchestral chimes, being almost two inches in diameter and six feet long. I have cut some to alter tones, but with no regard for tuning them to a scale, just to make them sound different individually.

I could tune them to a certain chord or scale by shortening certain ones precisely, but I have never felt the need. I enjoy the random, dissonant tones they make.

Think of sounds like "Bong, bung dong, kong, tong, bung, dong" ... in other words, they make a very deep tone.

So now I have "Bass wind chimes" and two sets of "Tenor wind chimes."  I might get some "Alto chimes" for the front later.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 08:05:33 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #9876 on: April 21, 2023, 07:22:42 PM »
I gambled on my first watermelon of the year. Wish me luck.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9877 on: April 21, 2023, 07:48:42 PM »
Break a leg!
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9878 on: April 21, 2023, 09:02:32 PM »
Gary, hope you enjoy the watermelon.

I bought a pair of black jeans for Kayleigh (because she lost her pair) and a pair of track pants for me that I can wear to the gym. $12 at the Salvos.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9879 on: April 22, 2023, 10:01:34 AM »
If a person is behaving themselves in public, in a socially acceptable way, how does somebody "lose" their pants?

:lol1:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9880 on: April 22, 2023, 03:00:47 PM »
Beer. :beergrin:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9881 on: April 23, 2023, 03:53:05 AM »
If a person is behaving themselves in public, in a socially acceptable way, how does somebody "lose" their pants?

She put them "away" somewhere in her room and now can't find them. I don't know if the new pair are the right size - she still hasn't tried them on.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9882 on: April 23, 2023, 04:35:21 PM »
Carbide toothed saw blade for some really big bolts I have to cut
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9883 on: April 23, 2023, 04:51:50 PM »

She put them "away" somewhere in her room and now can't find them. I don't know if the new pair are the right size - she still hasn't tried them on.

I think she should stick to that story.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9884 on: May 03, 2023, 08:48:04 PM »
I bought a lot of cat food, cat treats and a cardboard piece for the cats to sharpen their claws on.
Tek'ma'tae