Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 156794 times)

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #9855 on: April 10, 2023, 07:07:31 PM »
OMG Akira is so handsome!! :GA:

Thank you  :angel:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9856 on: April 11, 2023, 02:07:50 AM »
I bought chocolate for my parents and nephews. And now I still have it all because I was too unwell to see them. I don't know when I'll see them all next because they aren't often in the same place at the same time. Work and all that.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9857 on: April 11, 2023, 07:42:26 AM »
I bought chocolate for my parents and nephews. And now I still have it all because I was too unwell to see them. I don't know when I'll see them all next because they aren't often in the same place at the same time. Work and all that.

Not to be overly flippant, but make an effort for a few close ones and share the rest with Kayliegh?

"Just sayin' how things can go."

:green:

Chocolate should never be in question of going to waste!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9858 on: April 11, 2023, 09:08:58 AM »
Bought some chain. Tiny chain I use to hang up my bird houses in the trees out back. I have plenty of eyelets and hooks and stuff.

Got two more birdhouses out this morning, all cedar with no finishes to harm the birds. One of the ones I placed last week appears to be occupied. How cool is that?!?
Only six more to go. Yes, I fucking made ten birdhouses to set out this year.

One tip, place the "hole" or doorway toward the mass of the tree in which you present them. Most birds do better if they can feel hidden when nesting.
They are not like us. They do not want a view! They can fly, FFS! They want privacy.

Doves are different and I have not made up a dove nesting site yet. Doves will not go through a hole and hide. They want a clear view of surroundings for a nesting site to qualify. Interestingly, they do not spent much time building their nests. They just find a rock or a fat branch cleft and bring in some straw, call it a home.
Building a dove site will be far less involved that trying to build a "house" for them, as with most birds.

More to come!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9859 on: April 13, 2023, 10:58:25 AM »
$85 gasoline
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9860 on: April 13, 2023, 01:20:07 PM »
Golf balls. They tend to go missing. No Tiger Woods, me.

How are yours marked?

I find golf balls in my flower beds all the time.
I often just throw them back onto the course at random just as an Agent of Chaos might do.

I don't bother marking them, usually. A black dot if I do.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9861 on: April 13, 2023, 01:21:40 PM »
Bought a new smart watch to replace my aging old one. Got 30% off so it was a no-brainer.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9862 on: April 14, 2023, 01:33:02 PM »
Not so much buying as helping out a friend's widow, June.
I lightly touched on her contacting me last month and relating that my friend, her late husband, had left instructions for a lot of his old audio gear. I was a part of that list.
I had sold him a Dual 1229 turntable and a vintage Pioneer preamp many years ago. he wanted them to go back to me.

Wow! So when I managed a couple of weeks later to arrive at her house, she had a room full of old audio gear to be rid of. She expected me to take it all.

No way! I drive a Chevy Traverse, not a moving van.

Anyway, last month I managed to sell some of his old gear to music associates we both knew, THAT DAY and she ended up with $2200 dollars in cash she had not expected.
She gave me the entirety of his left over, after everyone she knows picked through it, album collection. It amounted to twelve banker's boxes of LPs, two of CDs with about sixty or seventy LPs in each box to haul away.
Needless to say, I have not yet made it through that huge stack of stuff yet.

Back to the future of now, she called me again Friday before Easter and asked if I could do something with all these other boxes of records she found.
Now, understand, it has been about one year and it has taken her this long to get herself into a place where she can deal with all this.

On the phone she just said if I can just take these away, too, she would be so grateful. "You like old records, right?" She is preparing to sell the house and did not even know this room was full of his stuff, too. It is their basement where they kept the Christmas tree, Easter, 4th of July and raceday decorations.

This time it was not all banker's boxes, but some old milk crates, a few hand hewn wooden crates, a few big beer boxes, but the whole thing amounted to eighteen more boxes of LPs and a few CDs. This is not like some thrift store find, but the last of a true music collector's keep of his most treasured items, those he kept separate from what others were privileged to hear.

I had about 2200 LPs in my own collection when this started, but now with all this stuff from his collection, my collection has doubled and I have only barely looked at it all, except to notice that I am a lucky man.
Most of what everyone else picking through the collection before I even knew it was going to be mine was just the "bubble gum" or the easy listening Paul Anka and Tennessee Ernie Ford type garbage.
The music I like was left behind.

Most of what was left was old rock, very old jazz, a lot of classical. I pulled a handful out of one box and found all three early Bloodrock albums in one grip. Another box I grabbed four Rubber Soul, three magical Mystery Tour and two White albums.

This is going to take a long time and I think of my old friend with every look in the direction of where I have it all stacked.

All told, a car full of electronics and albums on the first trip, including a pair of Klipsch Heresy II, Advent bookshelf, Crown amps, Kenwood receiver, etc, made me quite happy. All old stuff, but cool old stuff.
Happy, not only for the cool find, but just to be helping her out. This has been difficult for her. All of us, but her most of all.

This second trip to finish removing his "legacy" from her home is going to double my LP collection. The entire back end of my car was stacked full and a Traverse is no small horse.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:14:27 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9863 on: April 14, 2023, 02:19:25 PM »
That sounds awesome, I'm glad it's all going to a good home.

This morning I bought a piano. It's being delivered next week. I'm very excited. I feel like it's reaching a life milestone, having a life stable enough that you can afford to get a piano and have a place to take care of it well. I took lessons as a kid and teenager but haven't been able to play much since then, except when I visit my mother's place. I'm looking forward to revisiting all the songs I've missed since then, and discovering some new ones.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9864 on: April 14, 2023, 03:26:42 PM »
That sounds awesome, I'm glad it's all going to a good home.

This morning I bought a piano. It's being delivered next week. I'm very excited. I feel like it's reaching a life milestone, having a life stable enough that you can afford to get a piano and have a place to take care of it well. I took lessons as a kid and teenager but haven't been able to play much since then, except when I visit my mother's place. I'm looking forward to revisiting all the songs I've missed since then, and discovering some new ones.

This is awesome!!

My daughter has played piano since a young age and we have bought her three electronic substitutes. The latest was quite pricey and exactly the same as she played in school. It has weighted, balanced keys and it is basically a self contained synthesizer, capable of all manner of intstrumental facsimiles and tones, then recording within its own matrix and supplying a full scale keyboard, sits in our living room, hardly touched.

She hates it! She barely plays it.
She wants an actual piano and this $3K, professional Yamaha electronic device does not do it for her, no matter how many times I show her shit it can do that hardly anything else on the market can do.

She wants a piano!

It would seem that I could make this happen for her. A Spinet would take up less space than this Yamaha rig.
Just finding a spinet or even a balzy upright is no small task. Go to a store and drop $8k to $12K, some day, maybe.

I hope your piano gives you what you want!

Tippy ... learn to tune it yourself. It's easy and you will be even more happy with it. Only takes one tool and an ear.

Thanks, I hope the new home for all this latest bounty of fresh/old media is as wholesome as the one most of this collection was built upon.
I think I am done with her, June. She seemed so happy to get those things out of her way. We looked around and I think this is IT.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 03:53:22 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9865 on: April 14, 2023, 03:55:01 PM »
Your daughter is right. A piano is very different from the electronic varieties. Not that the latter are bad - I quite like being able to approximate a piano in a limited space - but a real piano is, well, very different.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9866 on: April 14, 2023, 03:55:36 PM »
Beer. :beergrin:

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9867 on: April 14, 2023, 04:10:01 PM »
Your daughter is right. A piano is very different from the electronic varieties. Not that the latter are bad - I quite like being able to approximate a piano in a limited space - but a real piano is, well, very different.

Absolutely God Damn right!

I have never discounted that reality. Doing what we could on a budget, however, I have a few things we will never ever need again.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9868 on: April 14, 2023, 04:14:18 PM »
It used to be the case that a piano wasn't that hard to acquire. You'd have to break your back for it but it would be free, more or less. Come and get it.

Missed quite a few that way.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #9869 on: April 14, 2023, 08:23:57 PM »

That sounds exciting.  :orly:
:gopher: