Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 157228 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #9615 on: July 11, 2022, 10:12:04 PM »
^Wow, that's big.

I bought a press-down whisk for $2 at the Salvos.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9616 on: July 14, 2022, 08:01:47 PM »
I bought two bras online - one bright blue and the other grey with pink flowers. Should get them next week or the week after.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9617 on: July 15, 2022, 10:33:19 AM »
Spent $220 at an estate sale for three boxes of tools and military stuff along with a blacksmiths vise
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9618 on: July 15, 2022, 11:46:09 AM »
Sounds like a nice haul!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9619 on: July 17, 2022, 10:48:50 AM »
I found a cigar shop in Spain with a walk in humidor and somewhat overspent, considering I don't really smoke - except the very occasional cigar.  I now have 20 coronas and maybe 40 cigarellos.  That's about 4 years worth of cigars for me.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #9620 on: July 17, 2022, 08:19:17 PM »
I found a cigar shop in Spain with a walk in humidor and somewhat overspent, considering I don't really smoke - except the very occasional cigar.  I now have 20 coronas and maybe 40 cigarellos.  That's about 4 years worth of cigars for me.

Are cigars even good for that long?  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9621 on: July 18, 2022, 05:25:42 AM »

Yes and at least ten to twenty times that long, if kept in proper conditions.

I'm more of a pipe smoker than a cigar aficionado, but the processes are very similar.
The Danish tobacco I smoke is fermented for four years, like fine wine but tobacco takes longer for the natural sugars to work. Then it is aged for twelve years sealed in oak barrels, like wine or whiskey, before they even consider it mature enough for blending a high quality smoke. It takes a few more years of aging for the blend to marry properly.

The tobacco I like most is about twenty years old when I buy it by the pound in sealed containers. A pound of tobacco lasts me about six months.

It is quite different for typical name brand cigarettes. Those tobaccos is mostly vacuum kiln dried and about a year old, so not matured at all  ... and chemicals are added ... eewwwweee!

Cigars can be quite complicated by some being wrapped just barely older than green and matured whole for years, while others are wrapped with more mature tobacco using a specific wrap for various qualities, then finish maturing over years.

But, yes, cigars can be kept for ages if you know how.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 07:16:18 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9622 on: July 18, 2022, 07:40:24 AM »
 :dunno:

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9623 on: July 18, 2022, 07:56:11 AM »

Yes and at least ten to twenty times that long, if kept in proper conditions.

I'm more of a pipe smoker than a cigar aficionado, but the processes are very similar.
The Danish tobacco I smoke is fermented for four years, like fine wine but tobacco takes longer for the natural sugars to work. Then it is aged for twelve years sealed in oak barrels, like wine or whiskey, before they even consider it mature enough for blending a high quality smoke. It takes a few more years of aging for the blend to marry properly.

The tobacco I like most is about twenty years old when I buy it by the pound in sealed containers. A pound of tobacco lasts me about six months.

It is quite different for typical name brand cigarettes. Those tobaccos is mostly vacuum kiln dried and about a year old, so not matured at all  ... and chemicals are added ... eewwwweee!

Cigars can be quite complicated by some being wrapped just barely older than green and matured whole for years, while others are wrapped with more mature tobacco using a specific wrap for various qualities, then finish maturing over years.

But, yes, cigars can be kept for ages if you know how.

My usual smoke (a Sumatran Corona) was 4 euros, instead of the £40 I have to pay in the UK, so I'm hoping they keep OK.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9624 on: July 18, 2022, 09:21:41 AM »
Wow!
Did you drop an extra Zero past the pound sign? If not, that's an amazing savings. Makes me wonder how and why. I know there are import "duties" with all tobacco products, but that seems like a bit too much duty for the Crown.

Your cigars will be fine inside a humidor for years. Main concern is to exclude airborne spores and insects, of course. Almost all vegan insects will chew tobacco.

For a small stash, you can make a humidor out of anything that seals a little. You need a source of moisture enclosed. A small piece of clay soaked and toweled off will last for a month or so until you need to re-soak it, maybe longer in your climate.

No offense intended if you already know all this, but for those with additional questions, we're both here. Right?

To think that quality cigars don't keep for generations is foreign to me. I had to respond.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 03:16:50 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9625 on: July 18, 2022, 08:00:30 PM »
A smoke detector

George Bernard Shaw

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9626 on: July 19, 2022, 07:59:53 AM »
Wow!
Did you drop an extra Zero past the pound sign? If not, that's an amazing savings. Makes me wonder how and why. I know there are import "duties" with all tobacco products, but that seems like a bit too much duty for the Crown.

Your cigars will be fine inside a humidor for years. Main concern is to exclude airborne spores and insects, of course. Almost all vegan insects will chew tobacco.

For a small stash, you can make a humidor out of anything that seals a little. You need a source of moisture enclosed. A small piece of clay soaked and toweled off will last for a month or so until you need to re-soak it, maybe longer in your climate.

No offense intended if you already know all this, but for those with additional questions, we're both here. Right?

To think that quality cigars don't keep for generations is foreign to me. I had to respond.

No extra digit after the pound sign.  Cigars really are that expensive in the UK due to taxation.   I brought back some Backwoods for my son.  They cost me 3 Euros a packet in Spain (about £2.50?), in the UK they are £12.50 a packet.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #9627 on: July 30, 2022, 12:48:40 PM »
I bought all the variations of berries and made a huge berry salad.  :2thumbsup:
:gopher:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9628 on: July 30, 2022, 06:02:40 PM »
A sharpening stone in a nice wooden box

George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9629 on: August 02, 2022, 07:36:42 AM »
Kind of the same, but I bought a set of three sharpening stones and a diamond impregnated Carborundum faced leveling steel.

Not long ago I dropped my 60 year old (yeah, almost as old as me. Belonged to my father) India rock and it broke. I did not cry, but I was mad enough at my clumsiness that I felt the need.
I have been using it still. But I have some large blades that demand a full stone. My Viking blood is thin and I can't just use a stone I picked up from the shoreline to keep my blades up.

I bought some Chinese water stones from Amazon. I have a 200 grit combo 500 grit Carborundum, 1000 grit India and a 6000 grit India. I have to admit that these Chinese India stones are some of the finest I've ever seen. The Carborundum combo stone you can get at any hardware store.

I still have a good 12,000 grit Arkansas rock in good shape; it's older than I am. I've repaired the wooden case. I priced one a couple of years ago and to get even close to the size of my Arkansas rock would cost over $1000 for a thinner stone in today's markets.
I have dropped the Arkansas many times, a chipped corner or three, and been lucky so far. It's a big piece of super clean stone. Largest stone I have.

It's for finishing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 07:54:25 AM by DirtDawg »