Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 157641 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #9570 on: April 25, 2022, 01:59:09 AM »
Not sure if it came with the gap or if it was modified after.  it's about the same sharpness as the rest of the blade which is very dull.   I have a show I am selling at this coming weekend and the box is just some recent additions to what I am bringing
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9571 on: April 25, 2022, 04:18:33 AM »
Went back to the Goodwill store, while I still had my Rodenstock projector open on my bench,  to return some clothes that didn't fit my son. They have shut down their fitting rooms since the pandemic and installed a very forgiving return policy.

Lucky for ME, though!!
They had brought out a selection of newly donated CDs for me to peruse. I picked up several, but a rare find, too. They had a really early copy of The Beatles White Album. It is the edition that came in two cases and still has the original CD boxy drum sound that was doctored up some during the '09 Remaster. This CD set is from '87 and I think it sounds really good in my car. Can't wait to compare it to some other releases on my various CD rigs.
I still have my very first CD player, Sony, I bought in '86 and it is in perfect condition. This CD set was made for that machine.

One other Sony I have, same model but purchase in the mid '90s, I have sent in to Decware to be modified with a tube output stage, bypassing everything digi after the internal DAC. That one is actually my favorite. It just sounds better.

Lucky ME, indeed ... all the artwork was still inside as it was released way back then! Two bucks! I think this is the eighth or ninth White CD I own from all era of releases.

Oh, btw, I never bought the '09 Remaster that came on the flash drive loaded with MP3s, which we sold tons of when I worked at BB. That just seemed stupid to me. I bought the CDs and later an unexpected deal came up for the '09 LPs, used but perfect condition from a "friend,"  so I have those, too. I tend to buy White, Abbey Road, and Rubber Soul every time I find them offered. I'm a nut case when it comes to Beatles.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 05:25:41 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9572 on: April 25, 2022, 02:24:08 PM »
Haven't bought anything lately but thinking about buying a subwoofer for my study.

I said I couldn't help, and I can't, but maybe I can offer more things to think about, which probably won't help.
 :lol1:

The room is tiny so I'd need a 10", tops. Except I saw an ad for a 12 and wandered off... Didn't buy it, though, because it was bloody huge. Weighed a ton.

Now considering a B&W 8" that is supposedly very musical and quite fitting to my setup.

When I worked at BB, we offered a large portion of the B&W product line. Not bad gear at all. Fairly inefficient as far as the full range models, but both sub enclosures we offered were self powered. Two levels of subwoofers, both 10" and they were powerful and sounded OK. The upper grade one was Servo controlled.

If your tiny room is halfway deadened with some books, furniture and stuff, you might find that an 8" of higher quality will be plenty.

Loads of books and other deadening stuff, yes. I do suspect that the B&W is enough, and it's gotten some great reviews by people who aren't bassheads but like a good fit.

Yeah, I would not encourage you to buy any kind of bassshead thumper. Most of those things sound like crap if you are planning to actually "listen" to music rather than just irritate people.
 :laugh: :laugh:

So I paid a visit to a local HiFi store that carry the B&W sub I'm interested in and asked for a demo. They paired it with my exact speakers and approximate gear, and I then spent fifteen minutes tinkering with it while listening to a selection of music I know by heart (and ear). The room was too large, but I had no problems hearing what that thing can do.

The enclosure is tiny for a sub, and again, it's just an 8", but the sheer musicality of it is way beyond what I'd expect for something double its price range. Accurate, quick, great filters - it actually has a bass extension switch if you want 25Hz in a small space and know the power limits of what you are dealing with. No idea how they pull off that latter bit but they do. And the low-pass is a great fit for my Dali speakers.

I placed an order. I'll pick it up on Thursday. :woohoo:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9573 on: April 25, 2022, 02:30:49 PM »
^I should mention that I considered a Klipsch 12". Nowhere near as precise but lots of shaking of things for very little money. Wouldn't have worked for much of the music I listen to while working.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9574 on: April 25, 2022, 04:38:13 PM »
Haven't bought anything lately but thinking about buying a subwoofer for my study.

I said I couldn't help, and I can't, but maybe I can offer more things to think about, which probably won't help.
 :lol1:

The room is tiny so I'd need a 10", tops. Except I saw an ad for a 12 and wandered off... Didn't buy it, though, because it was bloody huge. Weighed a ton.

Now considering a B&W 8" that is supposedly very musical and quite fitting to my setup.

When I worked at BB, we offered a large portion of the B&W product line. Not bad gear at all. Fairly inefficient as far as the full range models, but both sub enclosures we offered were self powered. Two levels of subwoofers, both 10" and they were powerful and sounded OK. The upper grade one was Servo controlled.

If your tiny room is halfway deadened with some books, furniture and stuff, you might find that an 8" of higher quality will be plenty.

Loads of books and other deadening stuff, yes. I do suspect that the B&W is enough, and it's gotten some great reviews by people who aren't bassheads but like a good fit.

Yeah, I would not encourage you to buy any kind of bassshead thumper. Most of those things sound like crap if you are planning to actually "listen" to music rather than just irritate people.
 :laugh: :laugh:

So I paid a visit to a local HiFi store that carry the B&W sub I'm interested in and asked for a demo. They paired it with my exact speakers and approximate gear, and I then spent fifteen minutes tinkering with it while listening to a selection of music I know by heart (and ear). The room was too large, but I had no problems hearing what that thing can do.

The enclosure is tiny for a sub, and again, it's just an 8", but the sheer musicality of it is way beyond what I'd expect for something double its price range. Accurate, quick, great filters - it actually has a bass extension switch if you want 25Hz in a small space and know the power limits of what you are dealing with. No idea how they pull off that latter bit but they do. And the low-pass is a great fit for my Dali speakers.

I placed an order. I'll pick it up on Thursday. :woohoo:

:woohoo:
That's great that you got to try before you buy!  And with gear similar to the system in which it will be used.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9575 on: April 25, 2022, 04:44:12 PM »
^I should mention that I considered a Klipsch 12". Nowhere near as precise but lots of shaking of things for very little money. Wouldn't have worked for much of the music I listen to while working.

Yeah, if we were talking about just putting some decent rumble down low for a home theater employing an average system, those Klipsch would be hard to beat for the money.

I think you'll be in good shape with those B&W efforts. Those are quite a bit higher grade than most Klipsch attempts.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #9576 on: April 25, 2022, 06:51:19 PM »
I bought a birthday gift for a family member. I was stressed it hadn't shipped yet, so I ordered a similar item from somewhere else too. I'm having trouble cancelling the first order, so they might be getting a birthday gift in the mail and also a late birthday gift. It's something that's not terrible to have two, so it's okay if it turns out that way.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9577 on: April 27, 2022, 06:24:03 AM »
I bought two black long-sleeved polo shirts and a purple hoodie from a no label brand I found online. The polo shirts are for wearing at the Salvos when the weather is cool and the hoodie is for general wearing in winter and because I like purple.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #9578 on: April 27, 2022, 07:27:37 AM »
I bought a birthday gift to have shipped to a family member. They'll actually be receiving two packages with very similar items. I got concerned about the first one I ordered because it still hadn't shipped. I didn't think it would arrive on time so I ordered another one from someone else. Then they wouldn't let me cancel the first order but that's okay because it's something that's not terrible to have two. I sent them a message they'll be receiving a birthday gift and probably a late birthday gift.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #9579 on: April 27, 2022, 09:42:27 AM »
A footstool for my chair and groceries.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9580 on: April 30, 2022, 12:35:06 PM »

Yeah, if we were talking about just putting some decent rumble down low for a home theater employing an average system, those Klipsch would be hard to beat for the money.

I think you'll be in good shape with those B&W efforts. Those are quite a bit higher grade than most Klipsch attempts.

As I wrote in another thread, I'm very pleased. This one isn't going to rumble a lot, it's just going to do its bit without a fuss.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9581 on: April 30, 2022, 12:40:10 PM »
I spent a fortune on new glasses - reading, progressive, sun - but OMG it was worth it. It's been years since the last time and I've gotten older. I hadn't realised how hard my old glasses made reading. Why didn't I do this earlier?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #9582 on: April 30, 2022, 07:15:03 PM »
access to a program called Noom to help me lose weight, now I'm wanting to look for a poster copy of the London Underground to hang over the bare spot of my quarters in the basement.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9583 on: May 04, 2022, 02:47:40 PM »
Big post vise
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9584 on: May 04, 2022, 03:17:54 PM »
I spent a fortune on new glasses - reading, progressive, sun - but OMG it was worth it. It's been years since the last time and I've gotten older. I hadn't realised how hard my old glasses made reading. Why didn't I do this earlier?
I wanted to read that,  "It's been years since the last time I've gotten older."
Unfortunately, the incrementalism of aging is sneaky.

I'm ready. Mine will be quite costly as well.

It's been too long.

I've been busy and thinking of my own needs has taken the form of enhancing my new PRIVATE listening room, lately.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 03:19:35 PM by DirtDawg »