Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 155863 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #9555 on: April 20, 2022, 12:00:37 PM »
Haven't bought anything lately but thinking about buying a subwoofer for my study.

Oooh!  What are you looking at in consideration?

I can't really help with suggesting ready-made options much, since I have always built my own and those for many "friends" over the years. All my parts come from this side of the globe, mostly.

I did buy four really nice Jamo fifteen inch efforts back in the '90s, but Jamo is now a part of Klipsch, so not sure about the newer products. Pretty sure they still have an assembly plant in Denmark.

I have also bought Visaton from Germany before, imported to here from Canada. They don't make very large ones anymore, though.

If it's for a small room, modern tech will allow a much smaller driver size with decent output, than in years past, especially if you look for a servo controlled variety. I know Yamaha offers a superior servo type, available the world over, but I have not heard one outside of a showroom.

I can tell you that most of the time, two smaller subwoofers will sound better than one big one, especially if you can separate them into areas of your room to help with modal inconsistencies inherent to every listening space.

Have you calculated your cubic space, yet? Do you know how much subwoofer you need?

I said I couldn't help, and I can't, but maybe I can offer more things to think about, which probably won't help.
 :lol1:

OOps, forget the Yamaha. I just went looking for the ones I had seen and they are no longer available. Plenty of Pro sound stuff, but not what you need for a home study.

The room is tiny so I'd need a 10", tops. Except I saw an ad for a 12 and wandered off... Didn't buy it, though, because it was bloody huge. Weighed a ton.

Now considering a B&W 8" that is supposedly very musical and quite fitting to my setup.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9556 on: April 20, 2022, 04:28:23 PM »
Haven't bought anything lately but thinking about buying a subwoofer for my study.

I said I couldn't help, and I can't, but maybe I can offer more things to think about, which probably won't help.

The room is tiny so I'd need a 10", tops. Except I saw an ad for a 12 and wandered off... Didn't buy it, though, because it was bloody huge. Weighed a ton.

Now considering a B&W 8" that is supposedly very musical and quite fitting to my setup.

When I worked at BB, we offered a large portion of the B&W product line. Not bad gear at all. Fairly inefficient as far as the full range models, but both sub enclosures we offered were self powered. Two levels of subwoofers, both 10" and they were powerful and sounded OK. The upper grade one was Servo controlled.

If your tiny room is halfway deadened with some books, furniture and stuff, you might find that an 8" of higher quality will be plenty.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9557 on: April 21, 2022, 09:57:58 AM »
A large coffee
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #9558 on: April 21, 2022, 11:13:32 AM »
Seafood, to make the Easter Seafood Casserole that I couldn't make last Sunday due to my colonoscopy prep.  I will make it this coming Sunday.  Yum  8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9559 on: April 21, 2022, 12:13:35 PM »
Yeeeeesh!!!

Big Insurance. BIG!

Well, we didn't buy it all today, but we set up a monthly payment thing for the rest of our lives.
Took all morning, but now if either of us "carc' out" (die, like, become a carcass) as the kids used to say, the house will be paid off and the other will be able to go on without The Largest Bill we will ever pay.

Whew!!! Done at last!

It's too damned expensive!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9560 on: April 21, 2022, 12:27:09 PM »
A large coffee

Very manly of you.

I bought a small coffee the other day at Speedway and the lady (probably approaching forty) at the counter said, "Oh, You have a small one!" It's a kind of truck stop and most people buy an all day coffee. I think the Big One is 48 ounce or something.
I heard from the back area, "Hey you shouldn't tell people that!"
We both shared one of those almost busting out laughing looks, but kept most of it inside.
After a chuckle, I told her I would remember her. I do. Every time I stop back by and she's there, we share another little "outside the box" smile.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 12:37:40 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9561 on: April 21, 2022, 04:25:56 PM »

When I worked at BB, we offered a large portion of the B&W product line. Not bad gear at all. Fairly inefficient as far as the full range models, but both sub enclosures we offered were self powered. Two levels of subwoofers, both 10" and they were powerful and sounded OK. The upper grade one was Servo controlled.

If your tiny room is halfway deadened with some books, furniture and stuff, you might find that an 8" of higher quality will be plenty.

Loads of books and other deadening stuff, yes. I do suspect that the B&W is enough, and it's gotten some great reviews by people who aren't bassheads but like a good fit.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9562 on: April 22, 2022, 05:26:33 PM »
Two hatchets

George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #9563 on: April 22, 2022, 06:42:00 PM »
Two hatchets

Whose skulls shall you cleave?   I'm asking for a friend! ;)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9564 on: April 22, 2022, 07:19:08 PM »
Two hatchets

Coincidence ... I bought a large, thick back Japanese cleaver for 69 cents ...

... along with a Swedish carving knife and two American made big blade kitchen knives. All the kitchen accessories were on sale for $0.69. I never pass up Swedish, Swiss, Japanese or German steel, regardless of the price. Some others as well, but never pass on some of the "best."

Also ten various DVD and Bluray movies, including "Good Will Hunting,"  one of my favorite Robin Williams roles,  twelve CDs, including Remastered Hey Jude (finding anything by The Beatles is rare) and a collection of Chopin works, twelve CDs for $1.99  CHOPIN!!

Basically a nice run through the Goodwill store. Kids bought some clothes and kitchenware. My daughter is addicted to Corning Ware and Corelle.

On the way back we stopped and got the best BBQ in the area for tomorrow. Pork, brisket, beans and potato salad.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 07:30:18 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9565 on: April 22, 2022, 07:39:22 PM »

Loads of books and other deadening stuff, yes. I do suspect that the B&W is enough, and it's gotten some great reviews by people who aren't bassheads but like a good fit.

Yeah, I would not encourage you to buy any kind of bassshead thumper. Most of those things sound like crap if you are planning to actually "listen" to music rather than just irritate people.
 :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9566 on: April 24, 2022, 12:27:10 PM »
An adze, two very old adjustable wrenches and a tobacco hatchet

George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9567 on: April 24, 2022, 02:44:33 PM »
Tobacco hatchet?

Sounds like an antique, maybe. 
When I lived in Tennessee, most of the tobacco farmers used a modern machete to harvest their crops before drying in barns for the market.
What I liked most about those farmers is like, in grandfather's day, they would all work together on one's farm and then another's all working together, day after day, until all the crops were harvested.

I see that here sometimes with feed corn and soy crops. One guy leases a giant machine ANother guy leases a fleet of trucks and they go around for weeks hiring out to harvest. Not quite the same as all sharing blood, sweat and tears, but some cooperation still.

What the hell is a tobacco hatchet?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9568 on: April 24, 2022, 03:30:39 PM »
Connecticut grows tobacco for cigar wrappers.  The blade is thin like a knife.  I got this one to sell it's not in the best shape but should go for around $15. 

George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9569 on: April 24, 2022, 04:58:42 PM »
I would not have known what that was at first, but I would most certainly have bought it.
Thanks!

The gap in the blade looks puposeful. Not like damage. Is the gap sharpened as well?

That'a a really nice box of goodies, there.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 05:01:45 PM by DirtDawg »