Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 155850 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #8745 on: November 11, 2018, 03:18:42 AM »
Bought a book on Amazon.
So did I. Will probably get it near the end of November.

Bought groceries and cat food at Aldi. One thing out of the ordinary I bought was dried fruit. Dried mangos and apricots. I really should snack more on healthier foods.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8746 on: November 11, 2018, 06:55:57 AM »
Found a "Justice League" soundtrack. I did not even know these were available on vinyl.
I snatched it up along with a few more things.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 09:28:44 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8747 on: November 11, 2018, 04:15:59 PM »
A drawknife
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8748 on: November 11, 2018, 05:49:53 PM »
Broke my "rule" about only getting free books for my Kindle account.  I have over 2,000 unread ones.  Yes, I'm not planning on dying anytime soon

The complete works of Lovecraft was 49 cents and a book on the Battle of Bastogne was $1.99,  Dad was one of the Battling Bastards and was also at Remagen.  Seemed fitting to buy it on Veterans Day.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8749 on: November 11, 2018, 06:10:08 PM »
2nd hand gas BBQ.

My wife bought it and didn't notice that 2 of the burners were rusted out and unusable. The other two are in excellent shape though, as is the rest of the BBQ apart from the bits that are rusty.

Now what we call a BBQ in Oz is a bit different to what the rest of the world calls a BBQ. It is really just a hotplate and a grill, side by side, connected up to a big gas bottle.

I cooked up some sausages, steaks, pork chops, onions, bread-with-egg-in-the-middle (it's just a trick where you use a slice of bread with a round hole cut in the middle as an egg ring), potatoes. Had a family BBQ in the backyard, got attacked by mosquitoes. I was surprised that I managed to cook everything just about perfect except for the potatoes (some of which I cut too thick) and the pork chops (I didn't get any complaints, but the meat that was away from the bone was a little bit dry - probably bought the wrong sort of pork chops in hindsight). I haven't cooked a BBQ in many years.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8750 on: November 11, 2018, 07:58:13 PM »
Now what we call a BBQ in Oz is a bit different to what the rest of the world calls a BBQ. It is really just a hotplate and a grill, side by side, connected up to a big gas bottle.
I used to never think of gas grills as real BBQ grills. They're more like a gas stove sitting out in the yard.  :lol1: We have a gas grill now though, and surprisingly the food still tastes char grilled.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8751 on: November 11, 2018, 11:19:49 PM »
I used to never think of gas grills as real BBQ grills. They're more like a gas stove sitting out in the yard.  :lol1: We have a gas grill now though, and surprisingly the food still tastes char grilled.  :dunno:

Seeing as you're a gopher, it must be a really tiny gas BBQ.

I'm just using our gas BBQ as a hotplate for now. It's more about the fun of sitting outside and eating meat. I might even make some salads next time. Our son is very skinny and doesn't have a lot of interest in food, so anything we can do to make the food more interesting is a win.

In Straya we have a tradition where some bloke who has drunk a lot of beer will loudly pronounce "GEDOUDDA DA WAY, OIM DA BEST BBQ COOK IN THE WHOLE F***ING WORLD AND OIL SHOW YOUS HOW ID'S DUN". Or words to that effect. They will then proceed to cremate the f*** out of everything and then expect to be congratulated on how wonderful a job they did.

I guess what's different about eating outside where I live is that instead of seagulls or pigeons looking for handouts, we have sulphur crested cockatoos.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8752 on: November 12, 2018, 11:36:31 AM »
I find that smoke (flavouring or real-smoke from the fire) will sometimes leave me nauseous.  I suppose it depends on the ingredients in the (or the amount of) flavouring and possibly the accelerant/wood on the barbeque.

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8753 on: November 13, 2018, 09:34:08 AM »
A drawknife

I have two of them but I have not seen one for sale in ages. One I got from my grandfather who was a blacksmith, wheelwright, farmer, etc. etc. The other I found in a box at a flea market many years ago.

Is yours for use or just collecting? I have used the one I got from my grandfather, mostly just to say I did I suppose. I have a hand planer now.

Mine are mainly for my collection of older tools.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8754 on: November 13, 2018, 07:49:51 PM »
I bought a book online and it arrived this morning. New Hart's Rules. It's for writers, editors and proofreaders.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8755 on: November 13, 2018, 08:26:03 PM »
A drawknife

I have two of them but I have not seen one for sale in ages. One I got from my grandfather who was a blacksmith, wheelwright, farmer, etc. etc. The other I found in a box at a flea market many years ago.

Is yours for use or just collecting? I have used the one I got from my grandfather, mostly just to say I did I suppose. I have a hand planer now.

I have maybe a dozen of them.  I have two that I use regularly making handles the rest are either in my collection or for sale when I go to the flea market
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8756 on: November 13, 2018, 09:57:37 PM »
A drawknife

I have maybe a dozen of them.  I have two that I use regularly making handles the rest are either in my collection or for sale when I go to the flea market

That is awesome.
I no longer do work that requires me to make handles for tools.
Amazing!

Renaissance man, much?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8757 on: November 14, 2018, 12:35:00 AM »
I bought a book online and it arrived this morning. New Hart's Rules. It's for writers, editors and proofreaders.

It's a classic.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8758 on: November 14, 2018, 12:49:20 AM »
It's a classic.
Indeed. And it's packed with information. It even has a table of proofreaders' marks.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8759 on: November 14, 2018, 12:06:06 PM »
It's a classic.
Indeed. And it's packed with information. It even has a table of proofreaders' marks.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome if you write or edit for a living.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein