Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 156926 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #8730 on: November 05, 2018, 12:57:02 AM »
Christmas is coming at a very bad time for me. However, today I went to the second hand shop and bought two shirts, a board game for Kayleigh and a cat bowl that's compatible with the other two cat bowls we have.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8731 on: November 05, 2018, 03:10:43 AM »
We might be away over Xmas, on a road trip.

We still have presents that Santa bought last year that the kids never opened. This year I may buy a smaller number of presents.

My daughter just turned 10 and she still believes in Santa. My son was 12 last Xmas and that was his first Xmas where he didn't believe in Santa. This might be our last Xmas where anyone in the house believes in Santa. My daughter is very mature.

I have always been adamant that I don't believe in Santa, and that I find the whole idea ridiculous. This only made my kids believe more strongly.

Regardless of any of that, I have Xmas shopping to do. If I let my wife do the Xmas shopping she will buy clothes. I just remember how much I hated getting clothes for Xmas or birthdays when I was a kid.

My son is easy to buy for. Anything related to WW2 and model tanks or airplanes from WW2. I might try to find a really good illustrated book about rocks, he has a mild interest in that and he doesn't need any further encouragement on his WW2 obsession. He said yesterday that he wants to learn to speak Finnish, so a language course might be a good option.

My daughter is a tween so it should be my wife's job to think of presents for her but... no hope there, it's up to me.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:13:01 AM by Minister of silly walks »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8732 on: November 05, 2018, 03:16:29 AM »
When I found out that Father Christmas wasn't real (about eight), I was furious. Mostly because I thought my family were having a good old laugh behind my back. I felt stupid.

I like Christmas shopping when I know what I'm going to buy. If I don't, it's headache territory.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8733 on: November 05, 2018, 11:39:39 AM »
^I found out at three or four. I wasn't particularly annoyed, as far as I remember.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #8734 on: November 05, 2018, 06:36:48 PM »
Regardless of any of that, I have Xmas shopping to do. If I let my wife do the Xmas shopping she will buy clothes. I just remember how much I hated getting clothes for Xmas or birthdays when I was a kid.
The kids always got clothes for their birthdays, with the understanding Christmas would bring no clothes. Their birthdays fell at the beginning of the school year, so they always needed school clothes and had outgrown their previous year's winter wear. As an adult the oldest doesn't care at all about christmas, but still wants money for clothes on her birthday. :laugh:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8735 on: November 05, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
As a kid I only needed new clothes if I grew out of my old clothes. Getting new clothes as presents, instead of toys or other stuff that I actually wanted, was kinda like being punished for growing.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #8736 on: November 05, 2018, 07:38:52 PM »
:laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8737 on: November 05, 2018, 08:50:32 PM »
^I found out at three or four. I wasn't particularly annoyed, as far as I remember.

About the same for me.
I remember feeling somewhat relieved.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8738 on: November 05, 2018, 09:04:00 PM »

I have not started shopping, yet, but I plan to buy my wife a new Surface tablet/thingy (kind of not really tablets anymore). Her old one is kind of Way out of date.

My daughter is the troubling one. She already has "everything."  For my son I intend to get him a large-ish SSD or maybe a bad ass gaming mouse (probably dangerous, but I will keep the receipt handy).

I just want a couple of pair of XXX jersey sweat pants, since my son has appropriated several of my others. HE outgrew his and decided he liked mine.
I might get him a pair as well.

Daughter?  Music was always a solid, but nothing left to buy. Movies, cool, but she already has all her favorites. At this point (considering her video editing interest) I am wondering if some fancy software might be the thing.

That is not enough for my wife, though. I have established the notion in her mind over the years that I have a knack for finding her THE PERFECT gift.
The pressure is on.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8739 on: November 05, 2018, 09:08:31 PM »
As a kid I only needed new clothes if I grew out of my old clothes. Getting new clothes as presents, instead of toys or other stuff that I actually wanted, was kinda like being punished for growing.

Punished?  Maybe. There is an off color meme thing out there where Santa's profile and a child sleeping in bed are visible.
The caption says that "maybe getting coal in his stocking is just not doing it for us"
Santa is putting a set of brass knucks.
 :autism:

Suppose that shit is no longer considered funny. I did not think it was funny, just maybe offer a list of addresses to Santa, in case he missed some.

Not funny, but think about it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:10:45 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8740 on: November 06, 2018, 12:08:14 AM »
In my family last year we had this thing called "Kris Kringle" (not sure how to spell it) where we buy one person (drawn out of a hat) in the family a present up to a certain amount of money. This beats buying all the kids presents and not getting anything in return because I don't have kids.
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8741 on: November 06, 2018, 02:34:12 AM »
My sister buys Xmas and birthday presents for my kids, but we don't buy presents for family in general. My wife has never bought me a present other than clothes, so if I want a real present I have to buy it for myself. I always tell my wife and my kids that I only ever got 2 good presents off her but they were the best presents ever and now she doesn't have to buy me any more. (the gifts obviously being our son and our daughter).

The Kris Kringle thing is a brilliant idea for limiting spending on stupid gifts for everyone. And it's good fun.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8742 on: November 06, 2018, 11:02:34 AM »
PA learned early in our marriage that I didn't want expensive or useful presents.  I earned more than he did, so my philosophy was that WE were paying off the present when it was put on a credit card.  Not much fun buying myself a present.  A useful present (e.g. vacuum cleaner would be like a boss saying, "You've done a great job.  Instead of a raise we're getting you an adding machine."

A gift card, a "six pack" of black olives, silly bedroom slippers, etc. bought from his "allowance" was more precious to me.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8743 on: November 06, 2018, 12:03:44 PM »

I am only thinking of expensive gifts because this is the first year in several when I can.
I just want a new pair of sweats and maybe a zippered hoodie, do not like the pull over type.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8744 on: November 11, 2018, 02:53:55 AM »
Bought a book on Amazon.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein