Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 156940 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #8715 on: October 28, 2018, 08:25:46 PM »
Hamburgers for The PR's lunch.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8716 on: October 29, 2018, 04:57:39 AM »
Two big trays of raw chicken and a loaf of bread.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8717 on: October 29, 2018, 11:22:20 AM »
Fast food. Couldn't be bothered to cook anything today.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8718 on: October 29, 2018, 07:01:39 PM »

Traditional Swedish fast food, or Americanised fast food?

What generally qualifies as fast food in Sweden?

When I buy fast food it tends to be Maccas or KFC because that's what the kids like. Mostly I buy whatever I think my son will eat a significant amount of, as he needs more meat on his bones and he is a fussy eater.

Aussie-style fast food tends to be charcoal chickens (cooked on a rotisserie) with sides that can include hot chips (thick french fries) and roast vegetables (spuds and pumpkin) and salads. Australian-style burgers have decreased in popularity - they tend to have all the good stuff included like bacon and egg, pineapple, beetroot, etc. in various combinations.

Kebabs were very popular maybe 20 years ago when we had a lot of first-generation Lebanese immigrants, but don't seem to be as common now. Fish and chips is still reasonably popular. Meat pies (single serving size) are still popular, but tend to be "servo pies" (sold out of a food warmer in a service station, called a "gas station" in the US). There are still a few specialty meat pie shops around but they are in decline.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8719 on: October 29, 2018, 08:38:02 PM »
The grocery salvage store I frequent has fill-a-Ziploc bag with individual treats.  I get the smaller one (24 items) that I stuff.  I got in a pack of fig cookies.  I'd forgotten how good they were.  Definitely on a shopping list soon.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8720 on: October 30, 2018, 01:04:19 AM »

Traditional Swedish fast food, or Americanised fast food?

What generally qualifies as fast food in Sweden?

When I buy fast food it tends to be Maccas or KFC because that's what the kids like. Mostly I buy whatever I think my son will eat a significant amount of, as he needs more meat on his bones and he is a fussy eater.

Aussie-style fast food tends to be charcoal chickens (cooked on a rotisserie) with sides that can include hot chips (thick french fries) and roast vegetables (spuds and pumpkin) and salads. Australian-style burgers have decreased in popularity - they tend to have all the good stuff included like bacon and egg, pineapple, beetroot, etc. in various combinations.

Kebabs were very popular maybe 20 years ago when we had a lot of first-generation Lebanese immigrants, but don't seem to be as common now. Fish and chips is still reasonably popular. Meat pies (single serving size) are still popular, but tend to be "servo pies" (sold out of a food warmer in a service station, called a "gas station" in the US). There are still a few specialty meat pie shops around but they are in decline.

Yesterday's fast food was kebab, which is quite common here.

We have a variety of foods that qualify. Apart from the more obvious ones (burgers, kebab, pizza, ...), there's a variety of mashed potato and sausage combos that remain popular locally. Then there's Pölsa, a mostly Danish, haggis-like thing that some people like, various pies, and influences from other European countries.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8721 on: October 30, 2018, 01:59:39 AM »
Yesterday's fast food was kebab, which is quite common here.

We have a variety of foods that qualify. Apart from the more obvious ones (burgers, kebab, pizza, ...), there's a variety of mashed potato and sausage combos that remain popular locally. Then there's Pölsa, a mostly Danish, haggis-like thing that some people like, various pies, and influences from other European countries.

Oh yeah, you've got a lot of recent immigrants from the Middle East. And a lot of those would be opening kebab shops.

I normally have breadless kebab for lunch a couple of times per week. There is a really good kebab shop in the same building where I work.

Pizza used to be really popular here, not so much any more. What happened was that the home delivery chains turned pizza into a cheap commodity and then they fought so hard on price and compromised quality and nobody says "let's get pizza" any more. A bit sad really, Sydney used to have a reputation for really good pizza by world standards.

Sausages and mashed potato. Bangers and mash. I have been making that a few times lately, the kids like the way I make mashed potato.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8722 on: October 30, 2018, 04:50:32 AM »
We live just up the road from a Domino's so if we want pizza, we usually pick it up. It's expensive though, and the quality has dropped so we get Macca's more often.

Today I paid over $200 for lenses for my new glasses. That's without the tint. Health insurance only paid $60 toward them. I suppose it's better than nothing.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8723 on: October 30, 2018, 07:06:56 AM »

I bought a new wheel barrow.
Late summer storm brought down a really old maple tree half a block over. Endangered two houses as it became unstable. It was still standing, but obviously compromised. As The Professionals were making a helluva lot of noise downing the huge tree, my curiosity was piqued. I asked if they had sold the wood or if I could grab some. They were hauling it to the city yard waste facility and I could have all I wanted.

I managed to make seventeen trips before I was too tired to do more. Each log was too large to get my arms around but only about two feet long, but still way heavier than I could manage alone. They helped me load my wheelbarrow, each trip. Until I broke the thing from just over loading it, I was doing OK.

I even tried to contact my neighbor who has a huge wood burning furnace in his basement to claim some of this fabulous wood, but he was working over an hour away and could not make it. I did all I could. The Pros even brought me four more logs after they saw my wheel barrow had broken and helped me get them over to my temporary pile. So I ended up with twenty one fairly large maple logs for my fire pit.

Now there is some really good news that is associated with this purchase. I made attempt at patching up and continuing to use the busted wheel barrow, but when the tire would no longer air up, I bought a new wheel barrow. We were having to air up the leaky tire every trip hauling mulch. My son was tired of pumping the damn thing and I was too.

Anyway, the new product came in parts with full assembly to be done after purchase. My son has barely had much experience with using tools. I have tried, but he has little interest. I (gently) convinced him of the benefits and HE DID THE ENTIRE assembly one his own!!!
I was right there with him the whole time and demonstrated how to get a few things done, then pulled the annoying things back apart and HE DID IT!!

I am very proud of him!!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8724 on: October 31, 2018, 01:00:57 AM »
Oh yeah, you've got a lot of recent immigrants from the Middle East. And a lot of those would be opening kebab shops.

Nah. Kebabs have been around for decades, long before the recent refugee crisis.

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8725 on: October 31, 2018, 01:21:23 AM »

Nah. Kebabs have been around for decades, long before the recent refugee crisis.

Really? Were there earlier (and smaller) waves of immigration from places like Lebanon or Turkey?

I found it funny in the UK about twenty years ago to go into a Chinese take-away and there'd be an old cockney couple running the place. Do/did you have ethnic Scandinavians running the kebab shops?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8726 on: October 31, 2018, 12:42:52 PM »

Really? Were there earlier (and smaller) waves of immigration from places like Lebanon or Turkey?

I found it funny in the UK about twenty years ago to go into a Chinese take-away and there'd be an old cockney couple running the place. Do/did you have ethnic Scandinavians running the kebab shops?

Oh yes, we've had immigrants from Turkey and other places for ages. Nowadays, it's quite common for ethnic Scandinavians to run kebab places, too.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8727 on: November 03, 2018, 11:21:36 AM »
A small vise and a pocket knife
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8728 on: November 03, 2018, 06:42:17 PM »
Slippers for Christmas.

The PR hasn't a clue what she wants. 

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8729 on: November 03, 2018, 08:06:22 PM »
OMG I've started Christmas shopping too!! :GA:
:gopher: