Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 158563 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #8610 on: July 30, 2018, 07:17:26 AM »
Watch it folks, with those e-fags pictured above. Old  man has one, and the surface,  ugh, it has a really slippery, greasy-but-dry fine brushed-metal texture to it, just the sort of sensory nightmare that'll  rip out your eyes without severing  the optic  nerves, then pull  them out far  enough so you can watch your own bleeding eyesockets filled  up with a dollop of diarrhea laden with corn  and other, miscellaneous chunky  bits of a  nature you don't even want to think about much less watch being squirted inside your blood-dripping hollow,scooped out eyesockets with your own pair of eyes which have just been torn from their socketsl

Those things are a festering abomination.Kill it, kill  it with fire!  'fore the hours of the  night  call, and it can rise up and start stabbing  you  in your sleep. Because it is evil, I repeat It. Is. Fucking. E.V.I.L.

(not an abbreviation, and if it was it would  stand for 'EVIL'
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline jedicounsellor

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8611 on: July 30, 2018, 07:20:09 AM »
Yard sale find!

I have been scouring the neighborhoods for yard sales/ rummage sales/ tag sales - whatever they are called in your area. Mainly looking for very few items of interest for me; any decent condition electronics or LP record albums or cast iron cookware.

I did find twenty three all classical albums, seventeen of which are Deutsche Grammophone releases. All in pristine condition, all in one box for five bucks. Many musical pieces I recognize, although, not familiar with all the orchestras. Still it is mostly Deutsche Grammophone for five bucks. I would never walk away from that.
From what I have found they are all first run pressings, but no real collector value. Just great albums.

I also found one older but modern (Lodge brand) iron griddle - 13x9 inch - a few days ago for two bucks. It was kind of rough and rusty, but cast iron. You just heat it some and scrub the rust off, season it properly and you have a "brand new"  cooking item that will last for several generations if kept up.
I plan to use this piece for smoked eggs and bacon on my grille for those rare occasions when we can all be together for breakfast. Hell I am always up a couple of hours before sun-up anyway. I might as well light the grille and start smoking something, right?

Oh, I forgot: the same guy who had the classical box of LPs also had a few rock albums. He told me that I could have all the other rock albums for another five bucks. It was two UFO, three Van Halen, a John Klemmer, and three Grateful Dead, three Robin Trower, two Aerosmith. A few others, twenty in all. 
OK. I did it, but these are in varying conditions. Klemmer is pristine, Van Halen are well above average, but the Dead, about average used condition. Trower was in great condition, but the Aerosmiths were well used. But again. why not?

You did awesome, mate! I was holding on to a couple of records for a mate (Gun's and Roses, Use Your Illusion 2; and, an Iron Maiden album with printed sides), for over 20 years. I'd moved to the other side of the state, and simply hadn't caught up with him until recently - on fb - where I found out that he was doing a performance in Bendigo. I met up with him for the show, and returned his records. It was nice to catch up, and be able to return these to him, for which he is grateful.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8612 on: July 30, 2018, 07:39:47 AM »
As for what I bought today...well as it happens what I bought today and what I obtained from the shops I visited today...there is a difference between the two, due  to certain  un/fortunate (depending on who's point of view) circumstances.

Went to get some strong formic acid  (they changed the brand, this stuff is now 54% rather than ~30%ish ), so I lucked in there, grabbed about 4-5 bottles just to be on the safe side in case they've changed the brand, got rid of it off the shelves,  banned it entirely or some other nanny-ing stalinist statist bullfuckingshit.

Got 3 packs of paramol, waiting for me to get a few more so I have enough to make a certain reaction with triphenylphosphonium bromide in view of ripping off that annoying methyl ether group on DHC, to both demethylate it in high yield AND  esterify it to mostly (94-95% or so) yield of (6-monoacetoxy)dihydromorphine both at the same time, again in  great yields, the 5% ending up AFAIK as dihydroheroin).

Got a 5 pack of double choc chip giant cookies, 2 tins of  'original'cafe creme cigars, two bottles of fever tree tonic water with elderflower flavouring, plus a 70cl bottle of gin going on sale.

2 rolls  of duct tape, some dextromethorphan cough mixture, couple of huge cartons of orange juice with  the bits in it.

And a macdonalds  (2 plain double  cheeseburgers plus two mango and somethingorother flavour frozen smoothies.)

And what else...well, I was GOING to buy 2 packs  of super strength valerian  extract,  but  I dropped  my e-fag at the till. Accidentally put the two packs, worth together near 15 quid, straight into my shopping bag  with my e-fag.

Oopsie.  Looks like I  went shopLIFTing,  not just shoppING. Oh well. I'm  not going back up there in this  damnable heat just togive  my money  away. If  I went to do that and  go pay they'd likely  grass me up to the filth, and  we all know what THEY think of me.

And  return the items? I'd  still be roasting in the heat. Sorry. No thanks. ~£15 of  free stuff? yes,  yes please.

If the  store didn't want that to happen they'd install  superconducting  magnets underneath the floors and place slices of pyrolytic graphite under  all their items so they float in mid-air if dropped.

Granted  it'd take thousands of pound of cryogenic  equipment at  LEAST, not including consumables for the cryo system, probably hundreds of thousands inc. refrigerant gases. But at least people wouldn't accidentally shoplift 2 packs  of valerian  tablets.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8613 on: July 30, 2018, 07:44:19 AM »
Oh, and several containers of sodium hydroxide (NaOH, caustic soda, lye, what theresa may's face looks  like somebody used it as a scrubbing brush for  getting caked on fatty grease  residues and filth from the inside of a dishwasher  that hadn't been cleaned inside for at least several decades, minimum  and that's being generous)

Offline jedicounsellor

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8614 on: July 30, 2018, 10:24:26 AM »
Since my RTA vape was stolen, I've switched to RDA vapes, as was my intention at some point.

I purchased this one.

https://www.victoryvape.com.au/collections/rda/products/wismec-luxotic-bf-box-mod-kit-with-tobhino-bf-rda

This is my next purchase - one which I've committed to making, by having it put on hold w/o cash up front:

https://www.victoryvape.com.au/collections/rda/products/top1-230w

My next purchase has been cancelled. Yes, I'm breaking my work with the store owners in order to get my car back on the road. I'm going to attempt to get by with the vaporizer I own, the SMOK Stick X8:

It doesn't quite last me a day of frequent use (or even infrequent use), but I'm trying to get my spending under control and use my money for more important things in life.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8615 on: July 30, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »
Insulation
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8616 on: August 01, 2018, 02:23:07 AM »
A pair of Rockport walking shoes.

Smart enough to wear to work but more comfortable than sneakers.

It is only a small store near work and I assumed they wouldn't have my size.

But turns out they carry up to size 16!!!!! My puny size 14 feet were not even an issue, they had them in stock.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #8617 on: August 01, 2018, 03:45:29 AM »
A pair of Rockport walking shoes.

Smart enough to wear to work but more comfortable than sneakers.

It is only a small store near work and I assumed they wouldn't have my size.

But turns out they carry up to size 16!!!!! My puny size 14 feet were not even an issue, they had them in stock.

I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8618 on: August 01, 2018, 04:18:58 AM »
^ That guy's silly walk needs a lot of work before he can even be considered for a grant. Just sayin'.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #8619 on: August 01, 2018, 04:33:56 AM »
^ That guy's silly walk needs a lot of work before he can even be considered for a grant. Just sayin'.

I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8620 on: August 01, 2018, 04:52:03 PM »
Yard sale find!

I have been scouring the neighborhoods for yard sales/ rummage sales/ tag sales - whatever they are called in your area. Mainly looking for very few items of interest for me; any decent condition electronics or LP record albums or cast iron cookware.

I did find twenty three all classical albums, seventeen of which are Deutsche Grammophone releases. All in pristine condition, all in one box for five bucks. Many musical pieces I recognize, although, not familiar with all the orchestras. Still it is mostly Deutsche Grammophone for five bucks. I would never walk away from that.
From what I have found they are all first run pressings, but no real collector value. Just great albums.

I also found one older but modern (Lodge brand) iron griddle - 13x9 inch - a few days ago for two bucks. It was kind of rough and rusty, but cast iron. You just heat it some and scrub the rust off, season it properly and you have a "brand new"  cooking item that will last for several generations if kept up.
I plan to use this piece for smoked eggs and bacon on my grille for those rare occasions when we can all be together for breakfast. Hell I am always up a couple of hours before sun-up anyway. I might as well light the grille and start smoking something, right?

Oh, I forgot: the same guy who had the classical box of LPs also had a few rock albums. He told me that I could have all the other rock albums for another five bucks. It was two UFO, three Van Halen, a John Klemmer, and three Grateful Dead, three Robin Trower, two Aerosmith. A few others, twenty in all. 
OK. I did it, but these are in varying conditions. Klemmer is pristine, Van Halen are well above average, but the Dead, about average used condition. Trower was in great condition, but the Aerosmiths were well used. But again. why not?

You did awesome, mate! I was holding on to a couple of records for a mate (Gun's and Roses, Use Your Illusion 2; and, an Iron Maiden album with printed sides), for over 20 years. I'd moved to the other side of the state, and simply hadn't caught up with him until recently - on fb - where I found out that he was doing a performance in Bendigo. I met up with him for the show, and returned his records. It was nice to catch up, and be able to return these to him, for which he is grateful.

I think you did awesome as well, making sure to get your pal's records back to him, even after so many years.

You sound like you would make a good "friend."
 :thumbup:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #8621 on: August 01, 2018, 05:06:13 PM »

:2thumbsup:

I'd love to have those UFO and Robin Trower albums.

The local classic rock station plays those two quite a bit and I've become a huge fan.

But then I'm a sucker for any decent progressive rock or blues rock band.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8622 on: August 01, 2018, 05:57:31 PM »
Sale on hamburger patties, some garlic and cheese sausage, buy one get one free pack of toilet paper, potato chips and ice cream.  The meat had a bonus of 7 times the points on the loyalty card.  Ended up getting 124 points just for the meat.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8623 on: August 03, 2018, 12:46:49 PM »

:2thumbsup:

I'd love to have those UFO and Robin Trower albums.

The local classic rock station plays those two quite a bit and I've become a huge fan.

But then I'm a sucker for any decent progressive rock or blues rock band.

I have always been right there with those guys. I love Robin Trower! Two of my favorites I never had a chance to work with. Seems like that is the way it goes.

I wish we had a classic rock station that played decent music. Around here it is mostly Journey, Foreigner, very rarely something that doesn't make me just change back to a news station or fumble for a CD to put in.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 07:55:41 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8624 on: August 04, 2018, 02:56:45 AM »
A waffle weave towel for drying after washing the car. I have at least two others but they're dirty somewhere so I just thought, meh, get another one.
Also bought a thin wash mitt to use on the car rims. They were still covered in gunk from the tyre shop.