Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 158706 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #8595 on: July 16, 2018, 10:18:09 PM »
Lestat, the goggles only cost $3.50. We are renovating one of our bathrooms and bashing out the old floor tiles. Bits of floor tile are sharp like shards of glass and the goggles keep them out of our eyes.

I won about $2K gambling yesterday. Not sure yet what I'll buy. I saved $500 and paid $500 off the credit card already.

You could buy me some hockey tickets. Any seats are fine. I'm not picky.  :orly:

I'd be looking to sell you as a spare puck.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8596 on: July 17, 2018, 05:24:09 AM »
I don't gamble myself. Always viewed it as what it is, a trap for mugs so greedy, often corrupt and always rigged companies  can bilk people for money.

Never has been one of my vices, I have experimentally, put about £40 (and lost it) into slot machines over my entire lifetime, in two experiments, one whilst functioning at baseline, and the other, after having taken a dopaminergic stimulant, and both times setting a £20 max limit, win or lose (well, if I had won more, I'd just have taken it and gone, I mean, 20 quid max input no matter what), investigating for insight into what inclines people to gamble addictively. Personally, its just not something I found myself to have the slightest desire to do, addictively or otherwise.

Given I can absorb two, temporally distant £20 losses easily enough, it was just a curiosity. Never gambled again and doubtless never would. Not unless any bet I make, I already know the outcome.

Lol I do remember one time though, when I was a little kid, I mean, at a time when money was a rare thing to come into, and any means of making it was something to be all over like flies on rotting fruit. My mother, while walking me to primary  school, had either the wooly-headedness, or possibly, conceit enough to disbelieve my saying I was good with plants, at an age of only maybe 5-6 years old. Bet me a decent sum, IIRC £20 note, that I couldn't do what I claimed I could, when I said I could identify any plants I happened to see. She picked a load of random ones to point out in gardens or parks we walked past, through etc. And she screwed up big time, shouldn't have made the offer if she didn't want to be out of money to fund my growing interest in science and chemistry. And of course, learned that if I make a claim like that, NOT to take me for BSing due to being a little kid. No huge ego to flatter trying, and result? me walking off richer, her poorer for challenging me.

Considering I apparently, had taught myself to read using mycology textbooks and books on botany, not the brightest mistake she could have made, certainly not to an autie :autism:

And why not buy him a seat? and then lock him in the chemical toilets for the day :heisenberg:
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8597 on: July 17, 2018, 06:48:57 AM »
Healthy attitude to gambling there Lestat. I've been gamblng pretty much daily for a couple of months now and it's fucking stupid. I'm ahead overall but that's just dumb luck and it won't last.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8598 on: July 17, 2018, 07:55:38 AM »
Bought books.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8599 on: July 17, 2018, 08:20:08 AM »
Quit while your ahead mate, because you are damn right, it won't last.

I just personally don't like gambling, it doesn't have attraction to me unless I know the odds are rigged in my favour. Because they are rigged one way or the other, so unless its for me, I'm not going to do it.

I still laugh at my (now dead) mother being quite so dumb as to call me out as being a competent botanist as a little kid. Just because I was little, entering primary school, doesn't mean shit when you throw an autie into the equation. Came off nicely ahead after that. But thats just what I mean, the odds were rigged, and I knew it. Because I knew my own competency of course, and she was daft enough not to even impose a consequence if I DID lose the bet. Win win, or at least win and can't lose anything but a reputation. Not that I wanted to be thought of as an idiot, but I knew full well that wasn't gonna happen. Quite amusing to see her have to fork over what to a little kid with otherwise about enough income a week for a mars bar, plus any money found on the street, was a nice chunk of cash that meant chemical goodies :D

Although I seem to remember getting quite a few funny looks in garden center/DIY stores as a little kid walking up to the cashier with bottles of ammonia, 98% sulfuric acid, bottles of hydrochloric acid and tubs of caustic soda. They had to have wondered what the FUCK a pre-teen wanted with those. I'm surprised they actually sold me stuff like that. But, no harm done of course.

I've often looked back to when I was that age, and considering I'm autie, thought that I must have quite literally been born to be a chemist. It was just there from the start, I reckon, waiting for the resources to become available in a monetary sense. Shit, what NT kid would be willing to spend hours picking flowers and selling them door to door, playing on the 'aww, ain't that cute, little kid is a entrepreneur' factor being on my side due to my age, and to go slugging truck batteries on his shoulder, after draining the sulfuric acid for purification of lead salts and recycling, filling them back up with concrete and gravel, and buggering off into abandoned buildings to strip lead and copper from the plumbing and wiring and roofing.

I was definitely a weird kid alright. Preteen flower-salesman moonlighting as a scrap metal recycler (and admittedly, not playing the scrap yards straight. The copper pipes were always full of soil, rocks, bits of scrap steel, anything that could be stuffed in there and hammered shut, or lead 'blocks', which were just thick sheets, cast with a blowtorch around more scrap steel and rocks. Admittedly I was a bit of a shit to the scrap yards, but then again, I did have to make as much money as possible on every last bit of copper or lead I could scavenge. It was more or less my only source of income, that and the selling flowers door to door off the back of my bike.

The lab had to have something to grow from though, glassware and chemicals don't grow on trees. Well some interesting chemicals sure do come out of them, given the right persuasion, but sadly not big carboys of solvents. Things even in my childhood days were a lot less tight, regulation-wise, and despite the whole 'kids and solvents' stuff I didn't get ID'ed, I was probably quite a familiar customer in the DIY and hardware stores, after a while, and while some kids might sniff solvents, I don't think there can be many that would buy 50 quid worth of assorted acids, bases and oxidizers, sulfur and paint strippers just to justify a bottle of acetone or isopropyl alcohol. And of course, no intention of huffing the stuff. EW! what a revolting thought. Ether..thats a bit different. Ether is perfectly legitimate for recreational use, and actually, I prefer drinking ether to drinking alcohol. Was quite popular, ether drinking, apparently, during prohibition times, in poland, ireland and a few other places.

And it smells so damn good too. I can't work with ether in the lab without thinking 'that smells tasty' :D

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8600 on: July 17, 2018, 11:37:40 AM »
Lestat, the goggles only cost $3.50. We are renovating one of our bathrooms and bashing out the old floor tiles. Bits of floor tile are sharp like shards of glass and the goggles keep them out of our eyes.

I won about $2K gambling yesterday. Not sure yet what I'll buy. I saved $500 and paid $500 off the credit card already.

You could buy me some hockey tickets. Any seats are fine. I'm not picky.  :orly:

Why not get close and personal to the action?  You'd make a great puck.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #8601 on: July 17, 2018, 02:19:01 PM »
Just grabbed a Wah pedal and a Metal pedal for my guitar. Working to buy the old drum set from a friend of mine, Kenny James, who played with The Samples for several years after Jeep McNichol retired. I was a long time friend and supporter of The Samples and have an extensive collection of audio and video recordings of them and was even in the documentary about them - “The Beat Known Band You’ve Never Heard Of,” which used a bunch of my footage and stole the title from an article I published on them in the mid-90s. Kenny was a long-time studio drummer and recorded with the likes of Janet Jackson and other big names in the late 80s and 90s.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #8602 on: July 18, 2018, 06:59:29 AM »
Just grabbed a Wah pedal and a Metal pedal for my guitar. Working to buy the old drum set from a friend of mine, Kenny James, who played with The Samples for several years after Jeep McNichol retired. I was a long time friend and supporter of The Samples and have an extensive collection of audio and video recordings of them and was even in the documentary about them - “The Beat Known Band You’ve Never Heard Of,” which used a bunch of my footage and stole the title from an article I published on them in the mid-90s. Kenny was a long-time studio drummer and recorded with the likes of Janet Jackson and other big names in the late 80s and 90s.

I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8603 on: July 19, 2018, 11:01:48 AM »
An 8th.

Offline jedicounsellor

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8604 on: July 28, 2018, 05:17:07 AM »
Since my RTA vape was stolen, I've switched to RDA vapes, as was my intention at some point.

I purchased this one.

https://www.victoryvape.com.au/collections/rda/products/wismec-luxotic-bf-box-mod-kit-with-tobhino-bf-rda

This is my next purchase - one which I've committed to making, by having it put on hold w/o cash up front:

https://www.victoryvape.com.au/collections/rda/products/top1-230w

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 05:20:07 AM by jedicounsellor »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8605 on: July 28, 2018, 08:05:55 AM »
Bought a USB-C battery pack.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8606 on: July 28, 2018, 09:18:27 AM »
Pre-ordered a game. Release date isn't until the 10th.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8607 on: July 28, 2018, 08:14:00 PM »
Bought a USB-3 hub.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8608 on: July 28, 2018, 09:58:40 PM »
Bought some Smirnoff flavoured grape malt beverage.  Yep it is as awful as it sounds.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8609 on: July 29, 2018, 09:22:17 AM »
Yard sale find!

I have been scouring the neighborhoods for yard sales/ rummage sales/ tag sales - whatever they are called in your area. Mainly looking for very few items of interest for me; any decent condition electronics or LP record albums or cast iron cookware.

I did find twenty three all classical albums, seventeen of which are Deutsche Grammophone releases. All in pristine condition, all in one box for five bucks. Many musical pieces I recognize, although, not familiar with all the orchestras. Still it is mostly Deutsche Grammophone for five bucks. I would never walk away from that.
From what I have found they are all first run pressings, but no real collector value. Just great albums.

I also found one older but modern (Lodge brand) iron griddle - 13x9 inch - a few days ago for two bucks. It was kind of rough and rusty, but cast iron. You just heat it some and scrub the rust off, season it properly and you have a "brand new"  cooking item that will last for several generations if kept up.
I plan to use this piece for smoked eggs and bacon on my grille for those rare occasions when we can all be together for breakfast. Hell I am always up a couple of hours before sun-up anyway. I might as well light the grille and start smoking something, right?

Oh, I forgot: the same guy who had the classical box of LPs also had a few rock albums. He told me that I could have all the other rock albums for another five bucks. It was two UFO, three Van Halen, a John Klemmer, and three Grateful Dead, three Robin Trower, two Aerosmith. A few others, twenty in all. 
OK. I did it, but these are in varying conditions. Klemmer is pristine, Van Halen are well above average, but the Dead, about average used condition. Trower was in great condition, but the Aerosmiths were well used. But again. why not?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:35:34 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.