Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 157125 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #8460 on: April 11, 2018, 04:10:55 PM »
Carpet in a bathroom? sounds too likely for somebody to piss on it and then it'd never want to come out, and be less than pleasant to remove.

My upstairs bathroom has a lino flooring. Its just as well too, because I once was going in there for water and accidentally dropped a bottle of fuming sulfuric acid. Bounced off the bog seat and hit the floor, and there is now a permanent brown splatter-mark where the concentrated H2SO4 hit both and seared an abstract pattern into the floor and bog seat, that won't ever, ever come out.

I'm about to make an order for several grams of memantine, a couple of grams of mitragynine (an alkaloid found in the plant Mitragyna speciosa, otherwise known as kratom, its used as a herbal opioid, traditionally in southeast asian countries, such as thailand, as infusions, as chewed leaves, in this case I'm buying one of the alkaloids isolated from it, mitragynine, one of the two main MOR agonists present, since I would sooner use the pure compound, with its being accurately weighable, and lacking some of the minor alkaloids present in kratom, such as mitraphylline, which are structural relatives of yohimbine, an adrenergic alpha2 autoreceptor antagonist, which causes noradrenaline release, something I do have two meds that act in a directly opposite way, a muscle relaxer for the nerve damage in my leg, tizanidine and also clonidine, most usually used as a blood pressure lowering medication by blocking NA release, but also with a calming effect, which I take to help prevent me sensory overloading. Still, will be nice to be able to simply take out my sensitive milligram balance, and weigh out the quantity desired without having to worry about crap in there I don't want and that would need my other rx meds to avoid making me uncomfortable.

I might just get myself some tianeptine also, just because its an unusually acting atypical antidepressant, that works via delta opioid receptor agonism, along with some, weaker Mu-opioid receptor agonist properties. Particularly because I want to be able to follow up with some research I did a while back into an allylic halogenated derivative of morphine, alpha-chloromorphide, that lacks almost totally any reports of use in humans which are accurate, because the stuff has been made and run up in trials and it proved to have some very unusual, distinctive psychostimulant properties, rather than anything opioid like.

BUT, whilst I have two suspects as to potential mode of action, I've never tried another delta opioid receptor agonist, and that is one of my suspects, so I need to get a 'feel' for the effects of DOR agonists in-vivo, so tianeptine will serve for that. As will a rearrangement product derived from mitragynine, mitragynine pseudindoxyl is known as a DOR agonist. The other potential mode of action would be, based on structural similarities to some of the minor phenanthrene opioids found in the opium poppy, thebaine and oripavine in particular, possibly a strychnine-like action as an antagonist of the strychnine-sensitive glycine receptor. I'm familiar with common light pain meds like codeine, dihydrocodeine, and take oxycodone and morphine on rx, and I've also had opium poppy pod tea, which is actually very different to pharmaceutical  morphine or codeine. the tea has stimulant effects due to strychnine-like effects from thebaine.  Its a toxic convulsant in excess, but in lesser doses it has stimulant effects different to traditional monoaminergic releaser/reuptake inhibitors.

So some comparative bioassays are in order. Plus I need to get the materials to build a small pressure-vessel, actually I had something disposable in order, since it needs to handle hot (100 'C) 15% hydrobromic acid in anhydrous glacial acetic acid for a couple of hours, sealed and put in a pan full of boiling water. It'll be corrosive, but plan is to use a CO2 gas pistol cartridge, emptied out, refilled with the experimental sample and then soldered shut, since the pressure ought not to get anywhere close to the pressure of a full CO2 bottle.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8461 on: April 12, 2018, 06:14:25 PM »
Said I wouldn't, but I did.

Bought an Instant Pot (pressure cooker).

Nothing has blown up....yet.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8462 on: April 12, 2018, 06:41:45 PM »
Hmm, you know, I really ought to get myself a couple of pressure cookers myself, and modify one each to be capable of magnetic stirring, and the other rigged with an internal overhead stirrer.

Could be mighty useful for certain things.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8463 on: April 12, 2018, 09:22:20 PM »

Are you canning stuff?  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8464 on: April 12, 2018, 09:42:27 PM »

Are you canning stuff?  :orly:

Nope.

So far just making really tender chicken, and some cuts of pork, I'm slowly getting braver with it. I still have PTSD from when my mother had one of the old pressure cookers. :laugh: 

It cooks stuff at warp speed without heating up the upstairs, which I may appreciate even more this summer.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8465 on: April 12, 2018, 11:36:10 PM »
I think my mum may have PTSD from her old pressure cooker. It practically exploded. She was cooking a curry and was about to check it when the weight on top burst off, grazing her ear in its flight and covering her and the kitchen in curry. Thankfully it wasn't hot enough to cause burns. She was peeved because the cookbooks on the shelf above were also covered and each had to be cleaned but still had curry stains.

And would you believe? She bought another pressure cooker. I think she still has it now.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8466 on: April 13, 2018, 12:59:43 AM »
My mum bought a second one too, when the first went airborne.

I've had one. Liked it, but used it less and less, because of the small family we now are. Handed it to my brother. He was happy with it.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8467 on: April 13, 2018, 05:06:28 AM »
Bought plane tickets.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8468 on: April 13, 2018, 10:26:27 AM »
I think my mum may have PTSD from her old pressure cooker. It practically exploded. She was cooking a curry and was about to check it when the weight on top burst off, grazing her ear in its flight and covering her and the kitchen in curry. Thankfully it wasn't hot enough to cause burns. She was peeved because the cookbooks on the shelf above were also covered and each had to be cleaned but still had curry stains.

And would you believe? She bought another pressure cooker. I think she still has it now.

There was a mark in the ceiling forever from when the weight shot off and the tab on it temporarily lodged in the drywall in the kitchen ceiling.

Mom had multiple mishaps involving the pressure cooker, the camper and the trash cans...the riding mower and the swimming pool....

Life was NOT boring. 

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8469 on: April 13, 2018, 06:20:06 PM »
Don't more modern models have lock-down clamps to prevent that kind of crap (or curry) hitting the fan? I don't think I'd trust a pressure-cooker that didn't have some metal to metal clamp seal.

An exploding pressure cooker sounds like a recipe for someone potentially getting their head ripped off, or at best, sprayed in the face with superheated steam and whatever is cooking in there.

Makes me want to stick to fire extinguishers given a glass or teflon lining, at least they have a pressure gauge and one can vent the extinguisher, drill a hole in it and weld in a pressure relief valve, so one can at least aim the jet of whatever is in it in an emergency, as well as vent the thing using the trigger. I'd rather keep my head attached where nature intended it to be :P

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8470 on: April 13, 2018, 06:41:20 PM »

We were always worried that my grandmothers one was going to do that it was ancient but she refused to get another even though the weight would come off at times  and it made odd noises
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8471 on: April 15, 2018, 04:59:36 PM »
I want one of those ones with a ceramic or teflon lining, so I can mod it to  serve as a pressure vessel for hydrogenations using Raney nickel, plat cat, palladium on activated  carbon etc., the  metal surfaced ones could be iffy, due to potential for hydrogen embrittlement, and I'd rather not have something like that go 'boom!' whilst full of pressurized hydrogen gas and potentially pyrophoric catalysts.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8472 on: April 16, 2018, 01:20:27 AM »
Bought a nice outdoor watering can. The other one had some frost damage. It did burst open while I was carrying 10 liters of water form the kitchen to my planters.  :hahaha:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8473 on: April 16, 2018, 01:24:33 AM »
Bought a book.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8474 on: April 16, 2018, 02:37:38 AM »
Some OTC dihydrocodeine tablets for a project. Some cough mixture, robitussin or benylin dry, I forget which one, same difference anyway, same flavour same  active ingredients. Because I find that when wearing my gas  mask for a long time, especially if its something like hours and hours and hours, that it makes my throat really dry, breathing the scrubbed air, through chemical absorbent tanks, its dry, it keeps you alive, but its dessicated, 'synthetic' air, and one's throat gets dried and croaky too, so I take a slug of cough mixture first before starting work, then every now and then if I can take a break from what it is  I'm wearing the mask for, if situations allow a break,  plus some more cough mixture when I'm actually finished.

I need to buy more gas mask canisters today, plus I need some xylene. I'm out, although I might be able to manage with toluene instead, a very similar solvent, although not as high boiling. And in this case its to be used for thermolytic degredation of triphenylphosphonium bromide in refluxing xylene to hydrogen bromide as  the pure, anhydrous gas, and leaving behind the triphenylphosphine in xylene. Hopefully the boiling point of toluene is high enough to decompose triphenylphosphobium bromide, I'll try it on a microscale, after I've gotten done with making the PPh3HBr (plan is to make a full mole of the stuff so I've got anhydrous HBr on tap for as long as needs be)

Also need to go all round two towns  and the city center to round up some other resources, bit by bit by bit, since pharmacies only sell one of the  desired item needed for the project. And I need 10s or 20s. A lot of walking around, a lot of fucking around, to get back home to yet more buggering around, slogging it through making triphenylphosphonium bromide, purifying it, storing it in anhydrous conditions, under inert gas and of course the heating it, the calculations as to how much to add to the xylene or toluene (and I'll have to go shopping to buy myself the xylene lest the boiling point of tolly be too low. Or I  could some aliphatic based  super-high-boiling alkaney stuff sold as a degreaser, got twenty liters of it and I haven't used it a second time, because its awful as a solvent. But for something that just needs to boil hot, and belch hydrogen bromide gas out? that might actually be the saving grace that comes between it, a large pile of dry wood and a match.