Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 152626 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #8355 on: February 08, 2018, 02:09:07 PM »
Bargains at the thrift store:

Disney Tshirt for the PR 84 cents
Running shorts for the PR $2.45
Wrist purse for the PR 48 cents
Paperback book for me 48 cents

I love the thrift store! Last time I went I found a giant 4X "UGLY" (beautiful to me - I love them)  HUGE Hawaiian shirt that falls below my waist.
A couple of bucks well spent!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8356 on: February 10, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »
Don't you worry Ren, you know I don't have it in for you.

But wasabi, etc. ISN'T meant to be a staple diet all the same. It was more funny than anything (mind you, laughing not AT, but with you), at least, that was my intent. I don't want you to suffer in the least; and were we not separated by continents, and you physically close enough for it to be possible, I'd gladly take you to a good pub and get in the first round of drinks :) )
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8357 on: February 10, 2018, 08:58:28 PM »
I would be for that, Lestat. :)

Went to the second hand shop (you lot call it a thrift store) and bought 3 t-shirts for me and a pair of around-the-house pants for Kayleigh.

Came home and washed them all.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8358 on: February 11, 2018, 04:00:26 AM »
Lol what other kind  IS there....at least if you have the curtains open and/or live with anybody that doesn't see one as someone to get in bed with. Or are an exhibitionist perve type haha.

As for thrift shops, you find some  rather neat things in those at times. I've got a couple of leather jackets for a bit over a tenner each for example. Intended, I think, most likely for a female of 10-30 or so, but I can still squeeze into them, just about, without bursting the arms open. I like those, its like a second skin with a built-in squeeze-machine. Although its only because I'm fairly thin in build (I have to hide the ribcage if I want to look..err..normal, in a manner of speaking.) that I can fit in them at all.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8359 on: February 14, 2018, 04:43:58 PM »
A Garrett pinpointer
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #8360 on: February 14, 2018, 05:18:01 PM »
A Garrett pinpointer
Didn't know there is such a thing. Nice.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8361 on: February 15, 2018, 02:04:10 AM »
I want one now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Online renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8362 on: February 15, 2018, 03:44:22 AM »
Some low calorie shake mixtures as well as low calorie chocolate bars from Aldi. Had one of the chocolate bars. Very difficult to eat the whole thing. I've definitely eaten better food. So I went to a chemist and got a different brand of bars, caramel crunch they are called. Try one tomorrow.

I also bought a haircut today.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #8363 on: February 15, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »
Some low calorie shake mixtures as well as low calorie chocolate bars from Aldi. Had one of the chocolate bars. Very difficult to eat the whole thing. I've definitely eaten better food. So I went to a chemist and got a different brand of bars, caramel crunch they are called. Try one tomorrow.

Beware of low calorie or sugar free chocolate; they tend to contain a lot of sugar alcohols which can create some embarrassing digestive side effects.

Online renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8364 on: February 15, 2018, 11:27:07 PM »

Beware of low calorie or sugar free chocolate; they tend to contain a lot of sugar alcohols which can create some embarrassing digestive side effects.
Thanks for that info, Jack. :) I have IBS so I have to watch it.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8365 on: February 18, 2018, 08:50:58 AM »
And watch it around dogs, too, as often as not, xylitol is used for sugar-free sweeteners, and its lethal to dogs in even small quantities (a few bits of sugar free gum for example), xylitol causes both a prolonged, massive insulin release and hypoglycaemia as a result, along with potential for severe liver damage.

Online renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8366 on: February 19, 2018, 02:46:48 AM »
And watch it around dogs, too, as often as not, xylitol is used for sugar-free sweeteners, and its lethal to dogs in even small quantities (a few bits of sugar free gum for example), xylitol causes both a prolonged, massive insulin release and hypoglycaemia as a result, along with potential for severe liver damage.
Poor dogs! I didn't know that at all. Two of my sisters have dogs but I'm unlikely to eat low calorie chocolate around them.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8367 on: February 19, 2018, 07:18:28 AM »
Its present in a lot of chewing gums, sugar-free mints like 'smint' for example. And it only takes a very, very small quantity to kill a dog. It can be treated, at least the profound hypoglycaemic shock can be remedied via glucose infusion, liver damage is a bad sign, prognosis.

Also, if you didn't know, grapes are toxic to dogs also, at least, to most of them, including dried grape products, sultanas, raisins etc. The toxic principle is IIRC unknown at present, although theories include a mycotoxin (fungal toxin), also not all dogs seem to be affected. Its not breed specific, but individual-specific in terms of toxic response. MOST dogs however will be poisoned, but a few individuals seem to either be not susceptible or much, much less so to grape-poisoning.

Debating whether or not to buy either some strong formalin (formaldehyde solution), or some paraformaldehyde (a solid polymer of formaldehyde) that I could thermally depolymerize, or whether to use hexamine camping solid fuel tablets and hydrochloric acid, I need some formaldehyde but the yields reportedly aren't wonderful via the hexamine route, workable but not great. I do on the other hand have a kg or so bag of bottom of the barrel (in terms of camping fuel) hexamine that was going cheap because rather than being solid tablets, its been bashed about enough in storage that its now more or less powder with a fair lot of chunks in it. So crappy if you want solid fuel tablets to cook dinner with whilst camping, but for somebody who only gives a damn about it being hexamine and the potential for preparing some formaldehyde by dissolving it in acid, its actually more convenient since I have to bash it less to make it dissolve more rapidly. So I got a price knockoff for its being crap, whilst for my use its actually better, or at least, more convenient in the sense that it means less elbow-grease needed in grinding the stuff up and less mess.

And why low-cal sweetener-infested chocolate ren? chocolate is meant to be a treat, not a punishment. I'd rather go without than eat that brown material which undergoes little to no change
in the timeline from before being eaten to after coming out of the other end which is observable without the aid of chemical analysis and bacterial culture.

In fact, thats probably an insult to shit, comparing faecal matter to that stuff. Its the equivalent of a few centuries of  festering ooze dredged from the mariana deep-oceanic abyssal trench, made up of hundreds of thousands of deceased, decaying fish, marine invertebrates, dead whales, and the stuff they crap out after eating whatever it is they eat only in an atmospheric pressure edition.

Bloody vile stuff. I wouldn't keep it in the same cabinet as I'd keep potassium cyanide, sodium azide, thallium salts or volatile arsenic compounds. The virulent poisons would probably take it out on me later because I'd so besmirched their good names. Hell, methylmercury would probably take exception to being kept in the same room as sweetener-befouled 'chocolate' (not that I'd keep organomercury compounds in my lab, or either make them, let them be used by anybody else in there mind you. I might work with toxic substances at times, but I'm not fucking stupid, or suicidal, and if I was either or both, organomercurials would still be the very last, digging-through-the-bottom-of-the-barrel ways to kill myself slowly and horribly. There is 'bad news' and 'wouldn't touch it with a twenty foot, shit covered stick held by a robotic manipulator arm within a hermetically sealed, negative-pressure chamber if you paid me my bodyweight in platinum' and then there are organomercury compounds.

And then there is sweetener-infected chocolate. Its up there with dimethylmercury-soaked kilo-bricks of solidified zaire-strain ebola virus given a dusting of smallpox spores on the surface like the icing of satan's own 666'th birthday cake. If hell would take it and not puke it back up again.

Not partial to dark chocolate, ren? because if you are, then you might try green&black's, they do a really good range of dark chocolate, ranging from 80% to >90% cocoa, from simple plain chocolate without additional flavours, to all kinds of pretty appetizing additives like salted chocolate, to lime-spiked stuff. Comes in sheets of squares that are a few mm thick, so should be pretty low-calorie. But unlike that unspeakable swamp-bilge with the sweeteners, it is real chocolate, of high quality and delicious.

If your dieting (not, IMO that you need to, you are lovely enough as you are :) ) then from everything I've read, the occasional treat actually helps, as opposed to a 'just torture yourself and try to suck it up' approach, as a reward for sticking to the diet plan (and of course, making sure the diet itself is something healthy and balanced, rather than some celebrity-espoused vacuous and potentially dangerous craze diet like juice-only diets or short sharp shocks of starvation, where perceived rapid weight loss is just the water you piss out (and in your case of course, sweat out, considering you are busily roasting in australia, which if it weren't for the huge amount of most interesting wildlife (or possibly because of it and/or in spite of it) could make a good case for consideration as hell's waiting room on earth, first populated in terms of non-indigenes, by criminals sentenced to deportation :P

(Hey Al, what is your distant family tree like :autism: *jesting, of course and no insult meant*)

Online renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8368 on: February 19, 2018, 10:34:32 PM »
After I have had braces on my teeth and for years after, metal retainers glued to upper and lower teeth, I'm used to not having chewing gum.

Yeah, I am on a VLCD (very low calorie diet). Weighing 85kgs is too much for my small frame and I'm only 160cm tall. My knees and ankles are complaining the most.

Milkshake for breakfast (I like strawberry the most), chocolate/caramel bar for lunch and try to have a healthy dinner, whatever Kayleigh cooks or a microwaveable meal.

It's a no to dark chocolate - for some reason it gives me a headache.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8369 on: February 19, 2018, 11:56:47 PM »
Aw damn. That blows. And don't suppose you know what 85kg is in stones? (I just know I weigh about 9 stone 9, to 9.10 and that it doesn't vary much whether I eat much or not or what I eat, I've never put much thought into remembering a conversion.)

And just had a milkshake myself, although I hate strawberry in most cases although can tolerate the macdonalds kind of ice-cream-like shakes in strawberry, I'd only go for that option as a last ditch if they had run out of beverages to the point where its reduced to a choice between those kiddy's fruit-shoot squash bottle things or sucking the stagnating piss from the chemical urinal cakes. Although not much of either a choice or a difference I should imagine.