Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 157698 times)

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #8115 on: September 03, 2017, 04:05:41 AM »
A card for my sister's birthday. I already had her present.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8116 on: September 13, 2017, 08:32:58 AM »
Got some food supplies I needed, plus treated  himself to two different kinds of hot chocolate powder mix, plus some actual cocoa, 4x£1 bags of candy-some huge jellybeans, some bubblegum blue bonbons and a bag of cough drops.  Plus since I finally found a store that had then, two tins of cafe creme small cigars, the original kind, since I'd found everywhere else hasn't had them in ages for sale, only the much less preferred mild variety.

So got two tins, and a 10x330ml can pack of coke, the original one not that nasty sickly diet one or the limp and hollow coke zero.

This because I'd basically from the looks of it, forgot a payment went into my bank, and a big one and considerable time, plus more payments, and two more today left me with alomst a grand in my account. NOW I can FINALLY afford the lithium aluminium hydride that I've been coveting for way too long, but price wise has been currently out of my reach (about $300 for, I forget either 100 or 250g. Not a cheap reagent and it'd be a very difficult and dangerous thing to try and produce, as its air sensitive (very) water sensitive (in the extreme, and violently so, erupting in a cloud of hydrogen gas the moment any be allowed to touch water, to the extent it must be stored under dried inert gas, and also used under helium, argon, nitrogen, since its a versatile, powerful but touchy to handle reducing
reagent, and even the glassware must be first oven-baked and allowed to cool, before finally flame-dried with a torch, drying traps full of dessicant packing, like quicklime attached to prevent entry of atmospheric moisture and adding the solvent, either diethyl ether or THF (tetrahydrofuran, a cyclic ether, and very useful, common solvent for LAH reduction processes. )

If LiAlH4 is not handled in such a way, and used in THF or ether that has been distilled directly into a cooled, freshly flame-dried baked out flask, after first refluxing the THF over sodium metal bits then the solvent is too wet and the traces of water carefully
and meticulously dried in there can easily have it start a fire. And a nasty one at that, a hyfride fire since they burn very hot according to what I've read of them (never had such a fire, don't want to either) and of course one cannot pour water on it, because that would make erupt all at once in a mostrous gout of hydrogen and flaming ether/THF as the hydrogen catches fire and goes 'WHIiiIKKK!'  with its characteristic rapid shockwave and high pitched squealing noise before like any other flammable gas in air mixture, a very nasty incident is had when its ignited.  Of course, it CAN be used safely, but great care and respect must be afforded that particular reagent,
its expensive, and very difficult to get for the average home-based, non-business&industrial end user but it can be had, in the right places :) and it'll save me at least 4 steps, one of them quite demanding (using sodium metal in anhydrous ethanol, aka the Beauveault-Blanc reduction, for a specific project of mine.) and thats specifically excluding for each step, multiple distillations under vacuum, recrystallizations and solvent washes etc. using lot of solvents and making everything costly. This trades off not so much cost but much time and effort. For a somewhat greater cost the aim I seek, can be successfully sought and bagged and tagged so to speak, for much less effort. A 1-step process with one workup, after initial purification of my substrates.

Oh I can't wait! I've been waiting months for this. :). And I'll have enough leftover money I don't need for food or bills to overhaul and update the lab more and bigger and better and more capable of performing the tasks I wish it to perform; with more glassware, better glassware and a wider variety, buying myself things I don't currently have and buying more chemicals and solvents with which to ply my art:)

Its going to be a complete spazzfest. Happy as  a wee kanner's kid at xmas when he gets a load of toys and books for sensory stimulation and related to his or her speshul interests:autism:

I so cannot fucking WAIT to go shopping. And I don't mean for things like the cans of coke, the cigars, the bags of jellybeans or the hazelnut-chocolate thick 'frijj' milkshakes. The Itch is building and building, begging to be scratched out by a long session in the lab and then shopping, shopping shopping:D
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8117 on: September 13, 2017, 10:04:13 AM »
And don't forget a MATTRESS
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8118 on: September 13, 2017, 11:15:44 AM »
A gallon of wd40 and a spray bottle.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8119 on: September 13, 2017, 01:00:01 PM »
But I like the sleep on the sofa  QV.

And besides, I've got a bit less after rent and food than £800-something. To provide much needed equipment for my lab. I've been saving for the LAH for maybe two and a half to three months. I'm not letting that go. And I'd really quite like some 4-dimethylaminopyridine while I'm at it.

That and methinks lots of new 2- and 3-neck round bottom glass flasks, some more still heads maybe, I could really use some new O-rings for the thermometer seals for the still heads that have thermometer inlets since the ones in there are getting worn, due to use under vacuum, at high temperatures (several hundred degrees 'C) and being squeezed quite tightly in the screw-threads of the adaptersl a simple but vital part and I need replacements and spares, although those shouldn't cost much more than a pound or two for a bag full.

Couple of kg of calcium carbide would be ideal too, cost-about £50 for stuff that isn't nasty ass tech-grade stuff (which is ugly impure dirty stuff both in appearance  and its usually full of phosphides that generate phosphine (extremely toxic) when you want acetylene from the calcium carbide, or to use the latter for last-stage drying of alcohols. And phosphine (PH3, the phosphorus analog of ammonia where phosphorus replaces nitrogen) is bloody toxic, nasty stuff you really don't want hanging around.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8120 on: September 13, 2017, 04:42:01 PM »
A gallon of wd40 and a spray bottle.

:eyelash:
:gopher:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8121 on: September 13, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »
Noise cancelling ear muffs and a Little Mermaid stuffed figure for The PR to help her with her coping skills

Bread, lettuce, tomato.  When I got home I found I didn't have them.  Returned to the grocery store hoping to find them in the grocery cart.  No luck.  Went back in and asked if anyone had turned it in.  Picked up bread, lettuce, tomato.  The manager told me since I'd bought it once already, no need to pay for it again. 

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8122 on: September 13, 2017, 11:12:46 PM »
Aww thats sweet QV:)

And glad you got free replacement stuff too.

Not bought it yet but just added a certain kind of acidic clay to my shopping list methinks for some experimenting

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8123 on: September 14, 2017, 09:56:54 AM »
The ear muffs were too difficult for The PR to manage.  So we're going to try a sporting goods store today after her doctor's visit.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8124 on: September 14, 2017, 11:25:07 AM »
Tickets to take Monkeyboy to a documentary we want to see that's playing at the local theatre.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8125 on: September 14, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »
Another pair of ear muffs and some ear plugs on a string to see which work better for her.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8126 on: September 14, 2017, 04:30:45 PM »
Filter for my shop vacc
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8127 on: September 16, 2017, 02:29:04 AM »
Bought books. :-[
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8128 on: September 16, 2017, 09:36:23 AM »
Books and a pillow for the Royal Tush to sit on while driving.  The old one was getting flat.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8129 on: September 16, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »
The only surprising thing I bought lately was oatcakes. Hadn't seen them on the shelves for over a decade. Not even in delicatessen stores. One time offer at the Lidl.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!