Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 155842 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #8055 on: August 10, 2017, 05:35:14 AM »
Tickets to sail on a steamship. Passion of the oldest. It's a yearly tradition and was fun per usual.
I have never done that. Sounds like a really cool experience.
It really is. We went on a 2.5 hour sail and had lunch aboard the ship. It's relaxing and a nice way to spend an afternoon. Last year we went on the 130th Anniversary sail which was 12 hours long and had an entire flotilla of antique boats sailing beside her. That was fun but made for a very long day.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8056 on: August 10, 2017, 05:46:18 AM »
A pair of vacuum adapters arrived for me earlier. Teflon stopcocks and in 24/40 joint size.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8057 on: August 11, 2017, 04:20:16 PM »
Plane tickets. Books.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8058 on: August 12, 2017, 06:32:27 PM »
John Deere tractor
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #8059 on: August 14, 2017, 04:42:25 PM »
Two pairs of tightish fitting black jeans. Unfortunately they have that artificially aged look that seems to be popular these days, and make me look like I've been spending rather a lot of time on my knees. They were the only ones in the shop that weren't some horrid shade of blue, though.
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8060 on: August 14, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »
make me look like I've been spending rather a lot of time on my knees.

:eyelash:
:gopher:

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #8061 on: August 14, 2017, 06:33:50 PM »
Indeed.
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8062 on: August 14, 2017, 10:43:51 PM »
Not actually pulled out the bank card and typed in my details yet, since I am still looking for the best possible price, but I'm after buying one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-in-1-Function-Supplied-Air-Fed-Respirator-Kit-System-6200-Half-Face-Gas-Mask-/282510307582

Been wanting one for a while now, a full-face gas mask that rather than taking cartridges, uses a remotely-positioned air compressor to supply breathable air and keep the mask at positive pressure, so nothing noxious can enter. They don't need cartridges for different kinds of toxic gases, fumes etc. and I already have a medical-grade air compressor that I happened to pick up for just £5 at a pet store after somebody traded it in for store credit but the owner later found it vibrates too much for fish to be comfortable with so, the owner realizing my....somewhat atypical requirements, for his produce, from my for ex. buying out every last package of sulfur, bottle of formaldehyde, and going in with a couple of different condensers, to test the fit against different sizes of his plastic tubing on the hose barbs, and my nosing around looking for the most powerful water (or rather, meant to be water) pumps that he had to sell, walking out with a variety of the above, different sizes of tubing in huge rolls, from a few mm to about an inch wide, and that I have to frequently replace the tubing after something attacks and eats it, he realized that unlike probably any other customer he might ever get, I'd be the one and possibly only, person who would benefit from that ex-hospital air compressor.

Positive pressure gas masks are used for working with the worst of the worst, basically, since the interior of the mask is pressurized to a higher pressure than the external atmosphere, it actively pushes away any gases, fumes etc and prevents them entering and one getting gassed. I've already got two gas masks, one with limited replacement cartridges and only for organic vapors and gases, but once the canisters are used, its for the bin, since the replacement canisters are no longer made for that model. The new one I got takes the more useful and wide-ranging ABEK-1 plus added dust and particulate filter pads over the top, the ABEK-1 cartridges are suitable for both organic gases/vapors (such as solvents), acid gases and alkaline fumes like ammonia, methylamine, ethylamine, pyridine fumes, and low boiling/noxiously fuming basic liquids/gases in general. Still, it isn't enough, I need something thats suitable for working with the worst of the worst (although I have limits, its not like I'm going to work with say, methylmercury or chlorine trifluoride, no matter WHAT kind of protection is available(the mask wouldn't give the slightest protection against ClF3, since its such a powerful oxidizer even a diluted stream of chlorine trifluoride gas will actually cause a house brick to burst into flames. Yes, thats right. Its hypergolic with a fucking BRICK!!), but something that'll protect me against anything from oxidizing, poisonous, acidic, highly corrosive substances like say, chromyl chloride, iodine monochloride, iodine trichloride, bromine monochloride, elemental bromine itself, chlorine gas, which I certainly use enough of to make me damn glad of my ABEK-1 filter mask.

But, I need something better. Something that can be worn with a military-spec NBC suit. Not that I've any intention of working with chemical weapons, bioweapons etc. but some of the things I come across or get used in various experiments really, really aren't very people-friendly. And it doesn't have to have been dropped on some poor lot of army grunts in a WWI/WWII trench, to have the same end effect. I.e one deceased chemist. And I've no intention of allowing that to happen.

But it has its limits. Its a half-face mask that needs to be used with goggles and a flip-down blast shield and doesn't protect the skin it doesn't cover.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #8063 on: August 15, 2017, 02:07:12 PM »
John Deere tractor

'Sec' three words there.. but since nobody bothered to ask I'm going to.. Why? What for? .. or.. A toy version? Or, are you going to grow corn next year?
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8064 on: August 15, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »
A blu-ray player to replace one that died.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8065 on: August 16, 2017, 08:32:31 AM »
Why not plant a poppy field miss K? that could earn you a nice cash booster, 'for dried flowers' if you didn't refine it to morphine and or whip out the chemistry set so to speak, people buy dried pods and a bit of stalk for 'flower arrangements'. But what they often as not ARE doing, is crunching them up in a blender, sowing the seeds after washing the poppy latex off them, and adding it to the tea brewed from the crumbled pods. I've had opium tea before quite a few times in years gone by and its very enjoyable. Now if I had a tractor and combine harvester.....and several tens of pounds of year after year's saved, built up and then sown seed of good genetics, some proper persian whites, that'd be something.

Poppy tea, despite main actives being morphine and codeine, contains many different alkaloids of different kinds of biological activity, and it has both a far longer action than codeine, or morphine or a mixture of the two taken by mouth,  plus a wonderful non-jittery stimulating quality, a zingyness and sparkle to it thats totally different from caffeine, amphetamine, ritalin or anything like. Purely a cerebral feeling thing, like the world just got run through an amplifier before being relayed to the brain and processed at lightning speed. The times I've had real opium tea, or opium poppy pod tea, whilst pod tea tastes, and smells bitter as, and it tastes nasty, smells much much worse, the actual effects, once its gagged down holding one's nose closed so as not to taste it through smell, and taste instead only the fundamental bitterness the tongue can sense, followed by rinsing out the mouth with a drink, swallowing lots more of same drink (that isn't pod tea, I mean a drink, drink, that you'd drink because you were thirsty or it tasted good or both, and possibly also mouthwashing and spitting that out of course) are really enjoyable, even with poppies that grew in a british climate its properly, fully active, really quite peppy and sparky stuff but relaxing and not overstimulating at the same time. 

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8066 on: August 16, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »
John Deere tractor

'Sec' three words there.. but since nobody bothered to ask I'm going to.. Why? What for? .. or.. A toy version? Or, are you going to grow corn next year?
For the acreage. It has multiple attachments. Mower for the lawn. Snow blade to clear the driveway. But most importantly I needed something with enough power to tow the log splitter. We have a ton of wood left in various places around the property from the previous owner that we can slice up and store properly to dry. They left it to rot and it's a waste of good wood because we need it for the wood stove for heating in the winter and next year when we buy a pool heater, it's wood fired as well so we can put that to good use.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8067 on: August 16, 2017, 10:28:39 AM »
John Deere tractor

For the acreage. It has multiple attachments. Mower for the lawn. Snow blade to clear the driveway. But most importantly I needed something with enough power to tow the log splitter. We have a ton of wood left in various places around the property from the previous owner that we can slice up and store properly to dry. They left it to rot and it's a waste of good wood because we need it for the wood stove for heating in the winter and next year when we buy a pool heater, it's wood fired as well so we can put that to good use.

And FLowers and Loki can be driven around in style around Phoenix Farm.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8068 on: August 16, 2017, 11:11:12 AM »
John Deere tractor

And FLowers and Loki can be driven around in style around Phoenix Farm.
Flowers would much prefer to run alongside. Loki, however, is all about being paraded around like the goofy Queen that she is. :laugh:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8069 on: August 16, 2017, 05:54:02 PM »
A pair of hedge clippers.  I'm going to try to give the front lawn a falf-assed haircut.  I really don't have any illusions about this turning out well, but it's worth a laughtry.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: