Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 155472 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #7785 on: May 23, 2017, 02:34:04 PM »
Meds, acupuncture and chiro for the injured pup.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7786 on: May 25, 2017, 07:50:59 AM »
I ordered an UV torch from a chinese ebayer for 99p.  It has taken so long to arrive that now it's here I can't remember why I needed it.

Better to have an UV torch and not need it, than to need an UV torch and not have it.  :M 8)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7787 on: May 25, 2017, 12:03:41 PM »
water vacuum aspirator
some Zn dust
quite a bit of sodium metal I just happened to see going at a reasonable price.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7788 on: May 25, 2017, 08:15:53 PM »
Today I will be buying Seretide (asthma inhaler).
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #7789 on: May 26, 2017, 06:40:17 PM »
Got Injustice 2 a few days ago.  :viking:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7790 on: May 27, 2017, 04:22:39 AM »
  Yesterday I bought a compression bandage that seems to have fixed my bad knee.  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7791 on: May 27, 2017, 10:16:19 AM »
Donuts
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7792 on: May 29, 2017, 02:50:26 PM »
Just had one of my separatory funnels shatter on me last night. But luckily I could carry  on doing what I was doing, and immediately hopped on ebay and got another, bigger one (1l) for around £15-20.

Got absolutely no warning whatsoever, thing just..almost crumbled to pieces. Not through anything I was doing with it, or had put in it either I don't think, just went to turn the stopcock and it shattered. Not right pleased about that, but thankfully there wasn't anything either truly priceless in there, or that I can't make again, it was a late-in-process extraction, after already extracting with solvent several times, so if my product successfully migrated into the solvent to begin with, I'll already have gotten most of it.  A little will have gone down the drain, but a few tens of ml of solvent at most, nothing that can't be rectified. And the funnel was easily enough replaced. Still, a bit of a shit, when I could have used the money for something I need and didn't already have. Next time I get paid, I'll get a couple more spares of different sizes too.

Did get doused in naphtha and caustic soda,  but aqueous sodium hydroxide doesn't seem to bother me much. I wouldn't bathe in it, but it has never actually hurt if I've gotten it on my skin. Aside from an accident where I copped that, and worse besides, right in the eyes, but that is another kettle of fish entirely.  Of course, I wash if off if I get it over me, but its never really even stung me, the only irritation that came of that, was because I had a cut on my finger, which did sting pretty badly. Molten caustic is another matter, that is nasty stuff, and even a speck of it landing on gloves if it melts through (and considering its MP is 300 degrees plus it does so pretty readily) burns like fury, got a little round scar on my arm almost exactly the size of a grain of NaOH from doing electrolysis for production of sodium metal where it chewed through the glove and carried on going. Getting it up the nose is even worse. (its just not something that immediately comes to mind..everybody knows to wear goggles and/or a blast shield , but I've never once seen a warning saying something to the effect of 'stuff bog roll up your nose' (electrolysis again, sodium formed, a globule of it went 'bang' in the air, sending a flaming, molten caustic soda-coated globule of water-reactive sodium metal right up one of my nostrils, where it promptly blew a small crater out of my nasal septum. Healed eventually but it didn't half make me jump at the time and make me lose my balance with holding the electrodes. Damn sodium itself actually blasted a hole in the bridge of my nose, not right through, but deep enough to feel, and to cap it off, when sodium meets moisture, what does one get? more caustic soda.

A lot of fun THAT was :P (well the rest of it actually was just not that particular event.)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7793 on: May 29, 2017, 07:35:09 PM »
Glass carboy...wine yeast.

I have become my mother. :wine:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7794 on: May 30, 2017, 05:09:52 AM »
Got a couple of those wine brewing carboys myself. Although its pretty certain you wouldn't want to drink anything that those things have been near, they are what I keep my nasty heavy metal wastes in, got two of them, one is full of manganese salts and oxide wastes awaiting such time as I feel up to getting around to refining them and smelting them down to recover the manganese metal, or turn it into permanganates or something else useful, the other is currently, IIRC, serving as a repository for mercury wastes. Definitely wouldn't catch me drinking anything that came out of either of them, the things they have stewed in, no matter how thoroughly they were washed out.

Just got some zinc dust come that I've been awaiting for what feels like bloody ages. Feeling rather satisfied with myself now thats here finally, I've been wanting that to hurry up for ages. Although not as much as the hundred g or so of sodium. Think it was 100g, might have been 200, can't remember. EIther way. Suits me.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7795 on: May 30, 2017, 09:03:06 AM »
Got a couple of those wine brewing carboys myself. Although its pretty certain you wouldn't want to drink anything that those things have been near, they are what I keep my nasty heavy metal wastes in, got two of them, one is full of manganese salts and oxide wastes awaiting such time as I feel up to getting around to refining them and smelting them down to recover the manganese metal, or turn it into permanganates or something else useful, the other is currently, IIRC, serving as a repository for mercury wastes. Definitely wouldn't catch me drinking anything that came out of either of them, the things they have stewed in, no matter how thoroughly they were washed out.

Just got some zinc dust come that I've been awaiting for what feels like bloody ages. Feeling rather satisfied with myself now thats here finally, I've been wanting that to hurry up for ages. Although not as much as the hundred g or so of sodium. Think it was 100g, might have been 200, can't remember. EIther way. Suits me.

Yep.  :laugh:

You find them around here but all the guys I knew used to store sulfuric acid in them, including my dad. Makes one wary of using an old one.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7796 on: May 30, 2017, 03:18:42 PM »
It'll be alright if its just had H2SO4 in there, I'd avoid it if the source of the sulfuric was battery acid, given that they are lead-acid based cells, and sometimes have some antimony in them IIRC. Although it is true that the metallic lead dissolves to an extent, the solubility of lead sulfate and the lead peroxide, PbSO4 and PbO2 in sulfuric acid or aqueous solution is pretty piss poor. Gutted plenty of car  batteries in my time for the lead content (and you can get a pretty penny for them too, although I tended when I had no better source of sulfuric, to extract the acid and replace it with water (and just occasionally pack the things full of gravel and rocks to get more money out of the scrap yard, naughty, I know, I know but hey, I was younger at the time and didn't have much disposable income, so I needed every scrap of dirt, rocks, steel scrap etc. that I could lay my hands on and stuff into lead/acid batteries, copper or lead piping scrap and the like. So I'd reclaim the sulfuric (its quite heavy so counted a lot towards the weight of a car or truck battery, and hey, I did have to carry the bloody things on my shoulders, two at a time for several miles to get there on foot. I needed the recompense for time spent :P, and distill the acid to purify it for my use, whilst the scrap merchant could keep what lead was in there for the most part at least :P I'd take the acid, not like I imagine they recycle that. Me on the other hand....

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7797 on: May 30, 2017, 04:29:03 PM »
USB stick so the girl could bring a project to school tomorrow that she of course forgot about completely until tonight. Thankfully we had everything she needed and she just had to choose what she wanted and upload it. Yet again, Mum to the rescue.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7798 on: May 30, 2017, 09:22:49 PM »
USB stick so the girl could bring a project to school tomorrow that she of course forgot about completely until tonight. Thankfully we had everything she needed and she just had to choose what she wanted and upload it. Yet again, Mum to the rescue.

I just washed one of those. Older 2 gb I think.

Probably about the 10th one I've washed...or possibly re-washed.

They dry out pretty quick and normally live to upload again.

Some day I might learn to check pockets.
Or not.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7799 on: May 31, 2017, 12:32:03 AM »
Cleaning your data is important. :orly:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein