Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 156440 times)

Online Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #7725 on: May 01, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »
I hoarded a bunch of water today.  :zoinks:
Are gophers good swimmers?

I can't speak for other gophers, but I'm only a half decent swimmer.  :dunno:

I hoarded a bunch of water today.  :zoinks:

I'll bet now your bladder is swollen up to lima bean size. :gopher: :lol2: :trollface:

I'm not hoarding it in my bladder.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7726 on: May 02, 2017, 12:03:16 AM »
Bought five speaker drivers for the garage cinema. :)

If any of them malfunction, you can post about it in the "developed country problems" thread.  :zoinks:

Where do YOU keep your cinema?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7727 on: May 02, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »

If any of them malfunction, you can post about it in the "developed country problems" thread.  :zoinks:

I have no cinema.  To see a new movie, I must ride in a cab to the cinema a few minutes away.  :'(
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7728 on: May 03, 2017, 12:13:19 AM »

I have no cinema.  To see a new movie, I must ride in a cab to the cinema a few minutes away.  :'(

That's just awful. :hug:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7729 on: May 03, 2017, 05:39:08 AM »
If you want one to be a good swimmer, better take your foot off his head first :P

And who needs a cinema when you got a lab :P Speaking of which, got some nice shiny new replacement boss heads for my clamps just arrive. My last ones turned out to be die-cast metal, these are nice steel ones. Been waiting way too long for those, had to manage for a while with a shitty rubber moulded one, that I ended up having to glue with superglue  to keep the fucking end on after the shite die-cast things broke.

Didn't cost me much, but worth a lot more in practice than they were in currency. Will put those to good use. Plus the new ones have a V profile where the screw meets up with the back plate, so easier to lock onto the round bars of stands (mine doesn't follow any special standard, its just a big block of iron/steel that I tapped a hole in with the lathe and made a matching threaded rod to go in it. by paring it down using a tungsten carbide tipped cutter, that works something like a rotary plane, only for steel instead of wood that slots into the side of the lathe on a movable post which moves in and out, axially to the plane of rotation of the workpiece to thin it out, then force it through a die-head. Pretty simple, but cost me nothing at all and the heavy counterweight serves to keep large bits of glass clamped and held where they should be, even when its something like a stack of condensers that very nearly pokes the top of the ceiling, full of boiling solvents laden with stuff you really wouldn't want falling on your head, like acid, or mercury salts. Or worse, mercury salt-laden acid (not that long ago had to do just that in fact)

Need to get more keck clips now, this time some stainless, preferably chromium-plated steel, all the ones I have/had were plastic, and now I only have a bare handful left, after the iodine monochloride synthesis I did a while back, even wrapped tightly in teflon, it ate through the grease and then resulted in the clips crumbling away into little pieces, whilst the surfaces closest turned to dust.

I've only got a handful of bottles that are capable of storing that, that I obtained by the sheer stupidity of the filth. Illegal raid on the premises, 'took samples' which they then left on the lab bench. Turns out those bottles, they obviously have to be prepared to encounter just about anything, if they were to raid, say a terror cell, or jackboot on somebody enjoying their right to a private life and doing nothing of the kind, but using some fairly nasty chemicals to do it. Those I think must have teflon caps or something. I wouldn't try them with hydrofluoric acid, or a very select few other chemicals but they are resistant as hell to STRONG oxidizers, acids, halogens and other, nastier things still. Could do with buying some bottles like that, because, with the threads wrapped in teflon tape, I've had just under an ounce of iodine monochloride sat in one for at least a couple of months now and there isn't even damage to the little gasket insert in the top that makes sure they seal well, don't think its even penetrated through to the other side of it, which makes me think the whole cap assembly must be teflon or something like it. Could do with some bottles of that kind in half liter and liter sizes for storage of reagents like chromyl chloride (its an extremely powerful oxidizer, likes to set things on fire, water sensitive as hell, giving off copious fumes of HCl gas and carcinogenic chromium (VI) residues, I spilled some once, and it burnt a hole straight through the bench! had to physically cut out the section it contacted and patch in another surface, after permanently gluing a sheet of wood over the entire remainder where only little bits of mist or splatter had gone, after a flask broke in the middle of a distillation, eventually got rid of the entire lot as hazardous waste)

But it does have its uses, despite setting most solvents on fire or doing other unpleasant things to them (needs using in something really inert, like anhydrous methylene chloride, chloroform or carbon tet)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7730 on: May 03, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
30.78 gallons gasoline for $72
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7731 on: May 03, 2017, 05:40:14 PM »
Book came in the mail. A hardback version of Watership Down. For my mum for Mothers Day. I hope she likes it, it's a  really nice book, has coloured pictures inside and all.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7732 on: May 06, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »
18 hatchet and hammer handles, a ball peen hammer and a marlinspike that were in a bucket at a tag sale for a dollar each

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7733 on: May 06, 2017, 01:21:51 PM »
Shirts. Socks.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7734 on: May 06, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »
Whats a marlin spike? presumably of no relation to jet large  apex predatory fish.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7735 on: May 07, 2017, 08:30:53 AM »
Whats a marlin spike? presumably of no relation to jet large  apex predatory fish.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

It's used to untie ropes,  the one I got is wood and was in a bucket tool  handles.  It's similar to this one,  I should be able to get $15-20 for it as an antique

George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7736 on: May 07, 2017, 08:32:54 AM »
How big is that, Parts? I like it.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7737 on: May 07, 2017, 08:38:56 AM »

About 18 inches (46cm)

George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7738 on: May 07, 2017, 08:50:53 AM »

About 18 inches (46cm)

No dirty talk on here, this is a family site!  :police:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7739 on: May 07, 2017, 08:53:38 AM »
  Lately I've bought WAY more sugary, fatty food than I can even finish.  :sick:

People forget.