Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 155037 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #7695 on: April 25, 2017, 06:46:47 AM »
A bra. I went to a bra, lingerie and sports wear specialty shop. I was bothered almost straight away and contradicted on what size I said I am.

What size did I end up buying? The size I first said I was. I know my boobs.

That belongs on a T-shirt.  boobs1 boobs2 boobs1  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7696 on: April 25, 2017, 08:16:01 AM »
Lol Ren, what dumb fucking twunts, trying to tell somebody what size tits the have. *snorffle* as if their owner isn't going to have (probably) had the same pair for oh, all but their first 14-15 years at least, absolute minimum .

At any rate, long enough to know where they are, what they are, how many there are of them and what they generally get kept in if anything. Some people just need a slap in the face with a tire iron to dislodge some of the accumulated collection of itinerant stupidity that has so obviously built up between their ears, to fill the large hole in said cranial region.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7697 on: April 26, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
Lol Ren, what dumb fucking twunts, trying to tell somebody what size tits the have. *snorffle* as if their owner isn't going to have (probably) had the same pair for oh, all but their first 14-15 years at least, absolute minimum .

At any rate, long enough to know where they are, what they are, how many there are of them and what they generally get kept in if anything. Some people just need a slap in the face with a tire iron to dislodge some of the accumulated collection of itinerant stupidity that has so obviously built up between their ears, to fill the large hole in said cranial region.

Sizes do change over time. For some women the changes can be quite big. 14 years the same size is not a usual thing.

But just as with shoes, some selling people are horrible and want to push their idea of what should fit without talkng the actual body it should fit on serious.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7698 on: April 26, 2017, 09:13:04 PM »
My size has changed in the last 3 years. Getting fat does that to you.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7699 on: April 26, 2017, 11:57:40 PM »
Upgraded and renewed oXygen, the tool of choice for me and most of my colleagues.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7700 on: April 27, 2017, 05:04:56 AM »
You don't look fat to me ren, curvaceous is what I'd call your look. In a good way. I find you pretty damn cute actually if I may be so bold. Especially that 'going to eat you' aspie stare you have. :)

Bought some bubblegum candies and a couple of liters of glacial acetic acid.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7701 on: April 27, 2017, 05:20:23 AM »
You don't look fat to me ren, curvaceous is what I'd call your look. In a good way. I find you pretty damn cute actually if I may be so bold. Especially that 'going to eat you' aspie stare you have. :)

Bought some bubblegum candies and a couple of liters of glacial acetic acid.
Thanks Lestat. You know how to make a girl feel better. :)

I didn't buy it - Kayleigh did - a dock to put hard drives in. Maybe making a RAID.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7702 on: April 27, 2017, 05:49:16 AM »
Well sure, I mean it though, your hot.

You mean those hot-swap drive caddies? I've got those in my desktop, makes changing over hard drives SO much less of a pain in the arse. I hate having to ferret around in the guts of the thing, with so little space between power supply and those hard to pull out power connectors. The data cables aren't too bad but the power leads are total shits to pull out without whacking knuckles on the power supply.

Total coincidence as I was replying to this thread, the mail came, with a pair of drying tubes for keeping atmospheric moisture out of glassware containing moisture-sensitive chemicals in use:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7703 on: April 27, 2017, 07:09:24 PM »
Those look fancy.

I bought expensive ice cream. I got chocolate and vanilla with a ripple of caramel through it. Yum.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7704 on: April 28, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »
A ballast for the light in my son's kitchen
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #7705 on: April 28, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
Aside from food and travel, the latest thing I bought was a trade paperback of a comic book. It was an impulse buy when two of my friends popped into Forbidden Planet, a shop I never set foot in as I always end up impulse buying something.

I am a piece of nerd trash with no self-control.  :'(

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #7706 on: April 28, 2017, 11:23:58 PM »
Aside from food and travel, the latest thing I bought was a trade paperback of a comic book. It was an impulse buy when two of my friends popped into Forbidden Planet, a shop I never set foot in as I always end up impulse buying something.

Where have you been traveling?  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #7707 on: April 29, 2017, 05:24:30 AM »

Where have you been traveling?  :orly:

Went to London for a week. Ended up being there the day of the terrorist attack.  :-[
Also, buses to and from places in my own country.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7708 on: April 29, 2017, 06:41:20 AM »
  I bought a bunch of new  :underwear: , T-shirts, pants, and a couple of pairs of shoes.  I can now throw away
   some shabby old rags I'd been wearing long past the point that I should have gotten rid of them.  :thumbup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7709 on: April 29, 2017, 07:08:15 AM »
Drying tubes are pretty basic standard piece of kit for any lab that will ever deal with reagents or reactions that involve anything water sensitive, they plug into a female joint of glassware where it is open to the air and cannot be plugged due to factors like heating, or high vapor pressure of something inside, so they need to be equalized with external atmospheric pressure, as stoppers would get pushed out, or worse, fired out, so rather than sealing all holes off with stoppers, a drying tube is used, a wad of something suitable to contain the dessicant is packed at the end near the bulb, to stop it falling into the reaction flask, such as cotton wool, wire wool if its anything nastier, or whatever, so long as its permeable, will hold, and not get melted, set on fire etc. by the drying agent

(things like phosphorus pentoxide for instance, one of the most powerful dessicants available, the acid anhydride of orthophosphoric acid, H3PO4, is extremely acidic and generates a LOT of heat when it hydrates, but for things that aren't acid sensitive, or just for keeping atmospheric moisture from entering when it absolutely has to be kept dry, such as for example, with a LAH reduction

(lithium aluminium hydride, powerful reducing agent, but it has to be used in freshly flame-dried glassware, thats just come out of the oven after cooling down (since it needs using in an etherial solvent usually, most commonly THF [tetrahydrofuran], although diethyl ether, diisopropyl ether etc. can also be used. Reduces nitro, nitrile, amide, oximes, azides and imines to amines, as well as esters, carboxylic acids, carboxylic acid chlorides (and presumably also acid iodides and bromides although very unlikely to reduce an acyl fluoride, although the latter I'd rather not be around as many of them would present the danger of forming a lethal and nigh untreatable metabolic poison, fluoroacetate/fluoroacetic acid, which is extremely unpleasant stuff, gets metabolized like acetate via the Kreb's cycle and to fluorocitrate, where citrate is meant to be there,
 during the metabolic generation of ATP, the cellular energy 'currency' since the tight carbon-fluorine bond cannot be split off by aconitase [no relation to the plant aconite, or monkshood/wolfbane], its the equivalent of throwing a metabolic spanner into the gears and it just binds and clogs the enzyme, starving cells of energy and killing them, toxic to pretty much every living thing, near irreversible, certainly with what hospitals have access to, and targets the organs especially with the highest energy demands, such as heart and brain. As toxic as many battlefield nerve agents if not more so than some of the entry-level ones like sarin and tabun, and in any case, all of them would hydrolyze easily to give off fumes of hydrofluoric acid which itself is pretty foul stuff).

LAH also reduces C=O bonds in ketones and aldehydes, in the case of C-N, C=N or azides giving amines, in the other cases giving primary alcohols. Its pyrophoric though and careful drying of glassware fresh before use is needed, since it reacts violently with water, with wet solvents (the THF/ether should be freshly distilled immediately before use over lithium or sodium metal, although one could use calcium, barium or strontium for it if thats whats to hand, and a blanket or flow of inert gas such as a helium or argon atmosphere must be used with it too. Tends to scare the pants off inexperienced chemists their first time around with it due to its reputation. But it is clean, and its certainly effective. For things like nitro compounds to amines it'd be my first choice, unless the substrate is very expensive or has other functional groups it won't be selective with, in which case I'd probably use Red-Al, despite the price ( sodium bis(2-methoxyethoxy)aluminium hydride ), which is pretty selective, quite gentle on substrates, not pyrophoric, and generally one of the best of the hydride reducing agents for sensitive substrates, but the catch is, you need 7 molar equivalents of Red-Al per mole of substrate to be reduced, assuming there is only one functional group to be reduced on the molecule, and its damnably expensive.

I need to get some though, for one particular project, since the substrate in question, there are two of them to be created from just 5g of the initial precursor to both, I doubt I could buy more, and the chemistry would be very difficult most likely and involve a lot of purification via column chromatography, vacuum distillation and such of crude product that'd almost certainly be a mixture, I only have the 5g of the starting compound, thankfully only a two-step reaction plus cleanup, but all the same, it cost me £80-something for the 5g and making it would be a certifiable nightmare, meaning every scrap needs to be made as good a use of as possible and the best possible reagents for every step, and best quality of same forked out for and my wallet being made to ache yet further in the process.

These came for me the other day:

Microscale integrated pear-shaped flask with side-arm, vigreaux column and vertical+sideways arms for reflux and distillation

And a pressure-equalized addition funnel, for additions in closed-circuit systems. With a normal separatory funnel being used as an addition funnel the top has to be open to the air because as liquid drains out into wherever its going, the air pressure difference created when it does cannot equalize and the liquid in the funnel gets 'stuck', the pressure-equalized addition funnel allows gas exchange through the side tube between the underside of the stopcock and the main body of the funnel, with a limited amount of gas, such as an inert atmosphere, that remains constant and just cycles round keeping the pressure normalized and allowing flow to continue. Rather handy little piece of equipment, I've wanted one for a while and finally, during my last lab glass update, spotted one on ebay for around £15 give or take a couple of quid. a 100 pack of capillary tubes came as well, won't bother to take a photo of those however, as they are nothing particularly interesting to look at, just very thin-bore, thin-walled single-use soda-lime glass tubes a few inches long, about 1mm ID, for taking the melting point of a sample, heated slowly, temperature monitored with a thermometer, the tube going into the solid sample, and when it melts the narrow bore causes a portion of sample to flow up into the tube by capillary action, impurities in the sample generally depress the melting point. Tested something I was working on last night and it was off by  14-16 degrees 'C, letting me know that I need to wash it first with dilute acid, then water, followed by dissolving it in hot alcohol and further washing with sodium bisulfate solution to remove unreacted starting reactants and catalyst. Nothing terribly difficult, just boring and more effort, but easier to clean up now than after the final reaction in the series of steps between start point and desired end product.