Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 155833 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #7665 on: April 17, 2017, 11:27:06 PM »
It's still cheap as dirt when compared to the rest of the world.

Maybe, but I had paid one dollar eighty nine cents last summer on occasion. This is quite a rising cost in my book.

Fresh eggs have gone to around four dollars per dozen, pork is around three dollars  per pound, bacon closer to five dollars for decent cuts. Half decent bread is three to four dollars per pound.  (yes, I can still bake my own for around a dollar per loaf, but that takes time and effort, the main reason that prepared bread became so popular in the mid fifties era)

The reason they say we have minimal inflation is because they include the "way down"  house market in those numbers.

Do not know about you but I have only bought four houses in my entire life and each one I traded up to a better house, resulting in me only having one house at a time. Most people are lucky to buy one and yet the "numbers"  include this major, once in a lifetime purchase to calculate inflation.
I am not fooled by this.

We are experiencing massive inflation and this fact is kept from the general public using Magic Math.

As far as gasoline, we could be self reliant for many years (price would go up a bit, but the  "politics"  would be more navigable) if we could only use our own stores and resources until a better solution that fossil fuels is presented.

Other solutions have been presented. Better is questionable, at least in the short term, since there's been a century of development to produce petrol engines.

As for inflation, yeah. You're not the only ones. :(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7666 on: April 18, 2017, 01:51:27 AM »
Increasing the prices of their salad by an entire US version of a real pound? ahem...dollar..?!

Thats taking the piss considering there isn't generally a vast quantity of lettuce to begin with, or at least they are not based entirely upon lettuce. Theres no way it went up THAT much.

Places everywhere are cheating people by charging more for smaller containers of products or less of whatever and not even having the price remain static, which would stilll be a ripoff as it is, but shrinking pack sizes is outright lying and theft. And IMO inflation and deflation should quite simply, be abandoned as concepts altogether. No, the bankers would doubtless kick and scream at the idea of being quite so pragmatic and brutal about it but IMO that should stop nobody.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7667 on: April 18, 2017, 04:57:43 AM »
  Last night I bought food and drink, paper goods, and cleaning supplies!  :multitask:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #7668 on: April 18, 2017, 05:48:30 AM »
I wanted to buy this watch, but it was out of stock. :(

http://www.blippo.com/kawaii-dream-land-watch.html
:dog:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7669 on: April 18, 2017, 07:05:31 AM »
Some high-purity graphite arrived today, in the form of square-rectangular slabs about 4mm thick.

Still waiting on certain reagents however. Got some 98-99% glacial acetic acid and a few other bits and pieces. that I am still waiting for though.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7670 on: April 18, 2017, 09:20:47 AM »
The bowling alley increased their salad prices by $1 because of the rising price of lettuce.  I know there are/were massive shortages in Europe. 

I'm fortunate to be able to stockpile some bargains.  Without that we'd be up goose creek.  Today I bought 24 cans of tuna for 50 cents each.  And it wasn't that long ago that tuna came in 6 1/2 ounce cans.  Now it's 5 ounces.  Most can goods have been down sized to 15 ounces at best.

I was able to get about a dozen cans of minestrone soup for 46 cents a can, instant oatmeal for about 6 or 7 cents a packet, etc. from the grocery salvage store.  The best score I did was 4 dozen heat in the bag sliced carrots for 12 cents a bag.  They are 16 ounces each.  Just toss into some soup, mash into potatoes, etc.  Great tummy filler.

Sounds like some bargains!

I generally "stockpile"  meats when I find them at a bargain. I found some pork loins for a dollar twenty nine per pound recently. I bought forty pounds. That is like one third or one fourth  the normal price.
I am not opposed to fruits and veggies, I just never see anything like that around here.

Because of my ADD-Innattentiveness when I try to stockpile meat I forget I've got it.  Total waste of money.  So for now I work on non-perishables.  That price for pork loins would be cheap for here also.  Good buy.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7671 on: April 18, 2017, 11:51:14 AM »
Bought 10 liters of dichloromethane, and 5 grams of HgCl2 [mercuric chloride, mercury (II) chloride] otherwise known as corrosive sublimate, very toxic, one of the more toxic inorganic mercury compounds (organomercurials are just out of the question. Not shit I'm prepared to work with in the case of almost all organic mercury derivatives) and not to be confused with the far less dangerous, although at least to me, less useful calomel, to give it its antiquated name, mercury (I) chloride [the mercurous, rather than mercuric oxidation state is (I) whilst mercuric, which generally speaking are more toxic than their monovalent counterparts are in the (II) oxidation state) and just bought 50 thick-walled borosilicate glass test tubes as well as 4 new boss heads for my clamp stands. atm I'm down to a push-fit rubber and metal one with the grip being rubber, which I don't like, don't trust, and are in short, a last ditch desperate measure. Can't wait for the replacements for the ones that broke, the diecast shite ones. Can't say as I'll miss those.                                                                                                                                                                                               

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7672 on: April 18, 2017, 09:45:32 PM »
My order came in the mail! Sheets. Or should I say, sheet. I ordered two, a mauve one (which I have now) and a blue one. Where's the blue one? I will give it a week and if I don't have it, I will complain.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7673 on: April 18, 2017, 11:51:35 PM »
You might want to complain now unless you ordered them from different manufacturers.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7674 on: April 19, 2017, 12:48:23 AM »
Yeah, I decided not to wait and sent them an email about 20 minutes ago. I wrote that I have proof that I ordered two sheets. And some other stuff. Can't believe I have had this much trouble with one order. I thought it was enough that I waited a month.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7675 on: April 19, 2017, 01:19:44 AM »
I bought some Koss UR-20 headphones. I'll probably hate using them just like with every pair of headphones I've ever had, but whatever.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7676 on: April 19, 2017, 04:48:38 AM »
I bought some Koss UR-20 headphones. I'll probably hate using them just like with every pair of headphones I've ever had, but whatever.

Mine are Skullcandy by Hesh.  :headphones:  Why do you hate all your headphones?
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7677 on: April 19, 2017, 05:54:32 AM »
Yeah, I decided not to wait and sent them an email about 20 minutes ago. I wrote that I have proof that I ordered two sheets. And some other stuff. Can't believe I have had this much trouble with one order. I thought it was enough that I waited a month.
I got an email back apologising for the inconvenience. They said there was an error in the system that separated my order into two. I will be getting my other sheet soon. Hopefully I won't have to wait another month.

I guess it pays to be polite in a complaint email.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7678 on: April 19, 2017, 12:26:12 PM »

Mine are Skullcandy by Hesh.  :headphones:  Why do you hate all your headphones?

Cuz they're uncomfortable and make my ears all sweaty. And I don't like things "in" my ears, either. :zombiefuck:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7679 on: April 19, 2017, 02:49:47 PM »
Bought pizza.

- Albert Einstein