Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 155855 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #7575 on: March 18, 2017, 08:57:35 PM »
I bought a miniature Centipede arcade machine for 20 bucks, it's the size of a coffee mug and it plays like a Nintendo or Atari console version of Centipede, kinda amazing.

Now that's awesome. I used to have a Pac-Man one I think...wish I still did.  :LOL:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7576 on: March 19, 2017, 12:54:46 AM »
A Dolby SRA5 module.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7577 on: March 19, 2017, 01:19:49 AM »
I bought a miniature Centipede arcade machine for 20 bucks, it's the size of a coffee mug and it plays like a Nintendo or Atari console version of Centipede, kinda amazing.

Now that's awesome. I used to have a Pac-Man one I think...wish I still did.  :LOL:

I wasn't impressed by the Pac-Man version, seemed a bit overpriced for what you got. Meh.

But this Centipede one is different. It's like playing a little NES, with full color graphics and smooth gameplay, it even has a backlit screen so that you can play in a dark room.

Only negative points for the mini arcade machines that it doesn't save your high scores (BOO!), and it has no rubber feet at the bottom, so the unit will slide around.

Little Youtube review here.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:29:38 AM by Darksydegout »

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7578 on: March 20, 2017, 03:00:12 AM »
Try the NH3 quick scrub method, DO NOT KEEP AMMONIA/SILVER mixtures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is similar to Fenton's reagent, can be used for silver-plating glass or alternatively for creatively producing an EXTREMELY shock sensitive shock sensitive silver nitride, AgNH3,
Micrograms to mg or so are coated on gravel and used for kids throw-down toy snaps to create an explosion on contact. This stuff is REALLY sensitive to friction and contact and WILL detonate violently as a brisant, violent, primary HE upon the least provocation. Fuck with fulminating silver and it'll fuck with you.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #7579 on: March 20, 2017, 08:12:12 AM »
I was addicted to Tetris when I was little. I begged for and was bought two different electronic diaries that had the game on them. Both went "missing".
:dog:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7580 on: March 20, 2017, 08:16:50 AM »
Think I'm going to have to place enquiries as to where to obtain large  (thousands of liters) nitrogen and argon tanks. A hundred liters, used that up in a day. And especially whilst designing my electrolytic cell for alkali metal production I'll be using large volumes due to the whole experimenting to find ideal configurations of electrodes and inert gas shielding. Nitrogen is cheaper. On the other hand, nitrogen cannot be used for lithium production since lithium metal, alone amongst alkali metals forms a nitride and burns in nitrogen. Thats not to say lithium nitride might not be useful, since its a superbase.

I need big fucking tanks of inert gas, and new regulators too, since the last use they were put to corroded the bejeesiz out of the things.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7581 on: March 20, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »
Think I'm going to have to place enquiries as to where to obtain large  (thousands of liters) nitrogen and argon tanks. A hundred liters, used that up in a day. And especially whilst designing my electrolytic cell for alkali metal production I'll be using large volumes due to the whole experimenting to find ideal configurations of electrodes and inert gas shielding. Nitrogen is cheaper. On the other hand, nitrogen cannot be used for lithium production since lithium metal, alone amongst alkali metals forms a nitride and burns in nitrogen. Thats not to say lithium nitride might not be useful, since its a superbase.

I need big fucking tanks of inert gas, and new regulators too, since the last use they were put to corroded the bejeesiz out of the things.

Meddlesome Mom here:  WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU GOING TO PUT THEM?  The neighbors and (I) aren't going to want them in your backyard.  There's no room in the house.  If you think the police have you on their radar, they'll be living in your bedroom with this.  What safety laws might you be breaking storing even an inert gas?  Will this void the insurance on your Dad's house? 

Back to my usual jolly self:  Hi, Lestat.

Modified to add:  Rhetorical post.  I'm not going to read a wall of text, just wanted to butt in.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7582 on: March 20, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »

Meddlesome Mom here:  WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU GOING TO PUT THEM?  The neighbors and (I) aren't going to want them in your backyard.  There's no room in the house.  If you think the police have you on their radar, they'll be living in your bedroom with this.  What safety laws might you be breaking storing even an inert gas?  Will this void the insurance on your Dad's house? 

Back to my usual jolly self:  Hi, Lestat.

Modified to add:  Rhetorical post.  I'm not going to read a wall of text, just wanted to butt in.

+ 1.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7583 on: March 20, 2017, 01:20:40 PM »
QV-bear in mind this is compressed gas. It occupies a smaller volume than it would do at atmospheric pressure. And as long as there is enough oxygen available to breathe, even a bullet through a tank would only make a mess owing to physical trashing from a runaway tank going off like a rocket if the top was blown off etc. or made to spin on its axis.

And I'd just stand it up in the lab when not needed, with a set of 'clips' albeit big, strong wide clamp type affairs, bolted into the wall. Because I NEED better inert gas supplies.I've gone through three, or possibly four welding size bottles in 2 nights. And not that I'd store the tanks in the garden, there are already chemical drums kept there. Fuming hydrochloric acid, and multi-gallon drums of 4,4-diphenylmethyldiisocyanate, sodium hypochlorite solution that i use for many things, such as as an oxidant, chlorine donor, or for preparation of elemental chlorine gas where required, as its far more convenient to prepare and use chlorine gas when its wanted, as its wanted in what quantity is wanted and where it is to be used or through short supply lines than it is to obtain a Cl2 gas tank (and there I am unwilling to try making my own, because the danger to others, and myself from a cylinder of chlorine gas should it eat through the tank walls eventually is infinitely greater than argon or nitrogen. I'd be better protected personally, and my old man could grab my spare gas mask but its not like the neighbors would have gas masks in several different rooms, and be prepared for a return to WWII era gas warfare and response thereto. I might be, but its not fair to inflict that on the neighbors. Although the one I really like is on holiday atm (I suspect aspie tendencies and she is really damned well fine, as well as a quite lovely person personality-wise) I have warned the neighbors who have rented her place for the time shes away that I am a chemist, and they appreciated the forewarning (even if it was partly for me also so they don't immediately think 'terrorist and/or redneck hick drug cook'), it was for both me and them, for future reference mainly, as the only noise was a little hissing and bubbling hydrogen and a whining noise from a fan cooling down a power supply plus a vacuum pump operating and a kind of buzzing noise from a submerged water pump filling a condenser rather than any stenches, pops, cracks or sudden bursts of flame and/or sparks, be they chemical or electric arc-derived.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7584 on: March 20, 2017, 01:22:49 PM »
Also, considering some of the other things in my lab, a tank of inert gas is the least worrying thing that could conceivably be added. It'd be the most benign item in there, save glassware itself, clean and empty, not in use, stoppers, plastic/rubber tubing, teflon coated stirbars, teflon tape etc.

Compared to sodium, lithium and a sodium-calcium alloy by way of reactive metals, mercury metal and sometimes its salts, iodine, iodine monochloride, >98% sulfuric acid, strong aqueous ammonia solutions, phosphorus (red and white both), sometimes fuming nitric acid, sometimes although not currently concentrated perchloric acid, potassium permanganate, sodium dichromate, chromic acid/sulfuric acid mixture for cleaning at times, thionyl chloride, propionyl chloride, n-butyric anhydride, cinnamyl chloride, acetic anhydride, cyanides if ever I need them I have no issue buying some, diethyl and diisopropyl ether, THF, triphenylphosphine, hydroxylamine, methyl iodide when desired, other alkyl iodides likewise (plenty acutely toxic and carcinogenic/mutagenic) glacial acetic acid, mercaptans (thiols, where sulfur replaces oxygen in an alcohol (R-SH vs alcohols R-OH where R'=the carbon chain or cyclic aliphatic ring, notorious for their brutal stenches, a few drops of some of the lower liquid ones will be enough most likely to render an area about the size of a football pitch uninhabitable until its gone, used in miniscule traces to add to natural gas lines for house gas supplies to provide a warning stink, although in tiny quantities. As compared to hundreds of grams of dodecanethiol, which if opened outside a well-sealed glovebox would be truly heinous and way beyond sickeningly, disgustingly, gutbustingly abhorrent, a stench from the blackest abyss in hell that'd be if released all at once), ammonium polysulfides, which stink something nasty too although not so virulently foul as thiols. The abysmal stygian reek of those mercaptans/thiols CARRIES too, likewise for things like many substituted indole derivatives, which rather than the rotting egg-metallicish bitter stink of the mercaptans smell like festering shit of a particularly vile nature. Indeed, skatole, a simple ring-substituted [4-methyl indole] gives the very name of the word and etymological root 'scat' adj. 'scatological' from its being the chief culprit for what GIVES human shit its stink, then there are metal powders such as 30 micron aluminium (that is, the grain size per particle is 30 thousandths of one millimeter, plus slightly larger grain size magnesium, then there are also fine nickel and copper powders.........whats the problem about a little inert gas?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:41:01 PM by Lestat »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7585 on: March 20, 2017, 06:07:10 PM »
A pair of Dr. Scholls sandals.  Wooden sole, broad adjustable leather band across the top of the toes.  I had a pair in the early 1970's.  Walked all over Europe in them. 

The DuMauriers by Daphne DuMaurier
Some cookbook on using cake mix as a basis to make spectacular desserts.

3 tops and 3 pairs of short for The PR
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7586 on: March 21, 2017, 12:55:14 AM »
Five crossover filters for the garage cinema front speakers. Now I only have to find five matching woofers.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7587 on: March 21, 2017, 08:14:12 AM »
About two-two and a half liters of dimethyl ether.  Some glass and ceramic cutting drills, a new blowtorch with autoignite piezo switch rather than the old one I have up in the lab that needs lighting with a lighter, this you just press a button on the side and it ignites it with a piezoelectric spark and small electrode within the bore of the torch. Max temp 1600 'C and nicely lightweight. Various solvents. A full face welding shield. 10 new broad-spectrum replacement canisters for one of my gas masks, some spray zinc dust based primer for paint, the Zn will be most useful, needed some zinc powder plus it'll help me out with some electroplating stuff. A set of pipecutters for copper pipes, nice and neat, better than a hacksaw imo for Cu pipe.

A plenty other stuff, spent a few hundred quid in the end, plus got  a couple of burgers and a milkshake from mcdonalds since it was near the hardware stores that I had to go to to cater to my needs. 

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7588 on: March 21, 2017, 08:19:36 AM »
But you said you didn't like milkshake. I like their double cheese burgers, but I ditch the bun because of the preservative, E282.

I want one of those American style burgers with a variety of toppings. I don't think I've ever had a proper American style one before...I mean, the kinds you see in the programme Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I love that programme. I could never eat such big portions though, I get full so easily.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:23:13 AM by justcurious »

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7589 on: March 21, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »

A/k/a "precursor"? :heisenberg:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"