Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 157980 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #7545 on: March 14, 2017, 12:53:58 PM »
:drool:

I would have ruined it by putting a layer of cherry pie filling somewhere in it.  Better get an unlisted address because there will be a lot of Intense stalkers.
Can not ruin a cake with cherries!

It was just a couple of boxed cake mixes and some canned icing.

It is all in the want to "create" with no bounds and the result can be delicious.

Even with common ingredients.

I posted that because I thought you might not like the combination and wanted to be more admiring of your accomplishments.  I agree almost any cake can be improved with cherries.

Honestly as ancient as it might be to do chocolate and cherries together, maybe we should rethink things and make something that takes both flavors to another level.

I have often wondered if kiwis make as good a cake as some cucurbits do. What about a cake made of kiwi and cherry THEN iced with dark chocolate?

I might need therapy.

:viking:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7546 on: March 14, 2017, 02:51:48 PM »
Cucurbitaceae make good cakes? come to think of it, a watermelon or cantaloupe melon/galia melon cake sounds really good, although it might take a bit of chemistry as well to get a proper concentrate of watermelon. Perhaps some synthetic watermelon essence would need creating, even. Bet its just a matter of digging up the info on the right ester or esters and then a bit of practical fiddling with the balance if its more than one. Esters generally make for strong and distinctive scents or occasionally stenches. n-amyl (amyl=pentyl, the 5-carbon radical corresponding with the saturated hydrocarbon pentane, of all the simple unsubstituted alkanes, pentane has the lowest boiling point and is yet a liquid at room temperature, albeit a very volatile one, which makes me prefer it over isohexane (n-hexane is unusually toxic for a hydrocarbon as it gets metabolized to a diketonic compound, hexan-2,5-dione. Other similar diketones of simple saturated alkane hydrocarbons where the carbonyl groups are each in what would, if viewed from the end closest to either, be the beta position of that C=O are also similarly toxic, making n-hexane quite unpleasantly neurotoxic, although not acutely extremely toxic, its a cumulative neurotoxin, or rather, its metabolite, after primary metabolism to an alcohol, hexan-2-ol, followed by further metabolism via cytochrome P450 pathway enzymes,  then oxidation to the  aforementioned diketone is, and causes a polyneuropathy by interacting with axons of the peripheral nervous system, specifically by forming an imine with lysine residues within the proteins of the nerve cells, this imine then cyclizes to a pyrrole and this is oxidized, screwing up the conformation of the proteins attacked by 2,5-hexanedione rendering them unfit for performing their requisite duties. The end result, is a sensory polyneuropathy and eventual degeneration of the nerve axons potentially causing paralysis and/or severe wastage and atrophy of the nerves, typically of the lower body, legs  etc.

So despite its widespread use as a solvent, I prefer to use isohexane if I'm going to use hexane at all, since the other isomers of hexane do not possess such a toxicity. I rather like pentane though, because of the ability to rapidly strip it away with nothing more than a warm water bath, which is extremely useful if the compound or imtermediate you are working with, or the rxn in which pentane is being used as a solvent in is very temperature sensitive. n-pentane being nontoxic, no more so than any other hydrocarbon of the alkane series especially and a volatility not that far removed from butane. Best cooled down before opening containers though rather than opened at RT due to its low boiling point. But that does mean even without a vacuum one can rapidly strip pentane and its isomers, cyclopentane is a little more convenient to handle, since its boiling point is slightly above it, and isopentane is a little lower boiling. with n-pentane boiling at 35.9 'C. Which reminds me, I need more cyclopentane and n-pentane. As well as some hexane and heptane.

What I bought most recently, were several bags of jelly babies, both basset's, the powder-coated ones and some of the non-powdered sugar-covered haribo ones, since these seem a bit more heavily flavoured. I compromize between texture and flavour by buying both. Although I've never yet tried eating both of a same color/flavour together to see if the compromise works both by buying both kinds and eating separately, or eating both together. I just murdered several large ethnic minority families. Killed a bunch of black babies for fun, I ripped their faces off an broke their legs and left their still-twitching soon-to-be-carcasses to steep in acid to get rid of their little negro bodies. (I like the black jellybabies best, followed by green ones, although what ethnic minority those are..seasick babies maybe-s or martian perhaps:P Followed by eating the chinky kids, fuckin little yeller bastards :autism: Although I am partial to eating a white baby now and then, biting off their little pink toesies one by one. Or pulling a little wog nipper's head off or crunching its little toddler skull  between my teeth. Easier to do with babies than biting an adult's head, because the fontanelles, those soft spots where the skull has gaps to allow brain growth, at least in babies I haven't murdered, have not closed.

One mixed-race family of small children murdered, on to the next massacre. The last one obviously had just come back from a family outing to the seaside. That trip was its last. Now I'm sucking a baby off, before I slowly dissolve it. Just as well this room is soundproofed well.

Also bought some 'KA' grape soda, some of the delicious although increasingly difficult to find barr brand bubblegum pop to wash down the dead, dying and soon to be dead cannibal preteen feast.

Ok, so I have a dark sense of humor, I admit it. Oh well, too bad, on with the slaughter of family no.3.  Got a couple of bags of 'lion' gums, dark, sort of tough and quite chewy liquorice gums, and very very tasty, one of my favourites. As well as some rolling papers and a pouch of my favoured brand of tobacco and got some more e-liquid for my e-cig *gulps down two more wogs and a martian exchange student* although the e-liquid was free, since I had my old man make it up from nicotine, dissolved in propylene glycol because I don't want to take the chance of the regular stuff proving just as carcinogenic in the long run as cigarettes, due to the use of a mixture of glycerine and propylene glycol as diluents for the nicotine. This is some sort of mentholated fruit flavour, quite agreeable.

Its the glycerine thats concerning since it dehydrates when heated too much (too much in the context of using an e-cig, rather than the lab setting deliberately of course) to produce prop-2-ene-al, or acrolein as its commonly known, which is horrible, horrible stuff and powerfully lachrymatory to boot (like tear gas, only in this case, awfully toxic to boot)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7547 on: March 14, 2017, 04:56:41 PM »
I was actually thinking of some of the more commonly known edible genera of the family of gourds you mention. Most of which have been used in baking, eaten raw, harvested for the fabulously nutritious seeds and the edible flowers, since well before anyone from this hemisphere kept records of any sort, such as squashes. 
I have only had watermelon cake once; never tried to make one. It was good.

Modern pumpkin, zucchini, butternut and various others all make great subjects for baking into cakes, breads, even sweets of many sorts. I was mainly wondering if anyone had tried to offset the harshness and acidity of a common kiwi, applying the known baking chemistry to actually come up with a tasty bread or cake treat to eat?
Only thing I have really found as warning, looking at baking websites is that kiwi contains a specific type of enzyme compound (actinidin, more research is necessary) which is used in curdling milk at the outset of some types of cheese making, so no creamy type desserts. It is also used to tenderize meat. Sounds dangerous.
I still wonder if a cake is possible with something to take those enzymes to a friendly place.
 :2thumbsup:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7548 on: March 15, 2017, 03:48:14 AM »
They will denature when the cake is baked. Enzymes are proteins (albeit they (almost?) always have at least one coordinated metal ion which serves as an active catalytic site)

The kiwi is the same as pawpaw/papaya in that it contains enzymes which can tenderize meat, this is because they are proteases. So you could just cook the kiwi first and render it down to a mushy consistency and then add to the creamy whatever. Don't know off the top of my head what temperature it takes to denature this specific protein, but it'll probably be below 50-60 degrees. There are heat-resistant enzymes, but these are mostly found, along with many other especially heat-resistant proteins in deep-sea bacteria and other organisms found on the superheated, sulfurous water-spewing deep-sea hydrothermal vents and in scalding hot pools in areas such as Yellowstone. One such, TaQPol in fact formed the beginnings of our ability to work with DNA, the abbreviation above, used in the biotech field stands for Thermophilus aquaticus polymerase, a DNA polymerase that unlike most DNA polymerases, which cannot be used for the reaction known as PCR, or polymerase chain reaction* since it involves initially thermally cleaving DNA into its sense and antisense strands, the temperature at which this reversible DNA unzipping takes place is greater than the denaturation temperature of most DNA polymerases from other organisms, so it took someone to think up of using DNA polymerase enzymes harvested from other organisms adapted to a naturally hot environment (you'd be surprised at just what extent life can evolve to be adapted to conditions which to us are noxious in the extreme. Even being frozen solid, growing on vents spewing water under immense pressure superheated to the point where it would melt lead, things grow and crawl and writhe on the mouths of the vents in deep ocean trenches. Strange and often nameless things, slithering, oozing, twitching and wriggling in the abyss, supping at a hadean, sulfurous tit.

(ok, I admit it, a little amateur homage to the late, great, and IMO autistic as fuck Howard Phillips Lovecraft. By one of his cyclopean disciples) (really, when you read the word 'cyclopean' who else comes to mind :P) Apart from me, that is.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7549 on: March 15, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »
Lovecraft is a master.  He heightens the terror, maintains it at a plateau for a few pages, then heightens it again.  Shiver and repeat.

(need to find some Lovecraft to re-read.  Last read him some time in the 1970's.)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7550 on: March 15, 2017, 03:00:19 PM »
Bought books again.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7551 on: March 15, 2017, 03:51:58 PM »
They will denature when the cake is baked. Enzymes are proteins (albeit they (almost?) always have at least one coordinated metal ion which serves as an active catalytic site)

I might just try it, since you say so. Hell, I have plenty of flour, sugar, eggs and leavening.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7552 on: March 15, 2017, 04:01:58 PM »
Lovecraft is a master.  He heightens the terror, maintains it at a plateau for a few pages, then heightens it again.  Shiver and repeat.

(need to find some Lovecraft to re-read.  Last read him some time in the 1970's.)

I have a complete collection, but unfortunately they are in storage under the house at this time. Read him last in the '90s.

Probably better to go buy a few paperbacks than to disrupt my long term storage plan.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7553 on: March 15, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
Thin nylon/poly cord and a copper fitting to fix some wind chimes
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7554 on: March 15, 2017, 04:17:22 PM »
Bought a small painting today. No signature. I got captivated by the lines and the composition.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7555 on: March 15, 2017, 04:30:51 PM »
Thin nylon/poly cord and a copper fitting to fix some wind chimes

Sounds like a great indoor project.

I have some chimes that need the same treatment. They are not normal chimes, though.
We used to use some window shade mechanisms to roll up some of our smaller photo backgrounds. One day when we were changing from one type of background to another, more hip, modern (for the time) look I discovered that they sounded like real chimes when suspended just right and struck.

So, when we upgraded our back ground system, making all those free rolling shade type things obsolete, I took twelve of them, drilled holes in the top, removed all the internal spring operated mechanisms and made myself a set of six foot tall wind chimes. Sawing some of them shorter a few times to create various tones All random, no musicality intended. This is not tinkly sounding, but more Bong, bang bong bung BONG sounding. all my tinkly ones are still fine but the huge six foot chimes are in need of some attention.

The wind flapper that is suspended in the center which operates the midway between the twelves'  length pounder has fallen due to the poly giving up after so many years in the weather. It takes quite a wind to make my chimes ring as it is.

Spring project for me!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:36:40 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7556 on: March 16, 2017, 05:24:39 AM »
An expensive quilt for my bed. I got sick of the other quilt bunching up inside its cover at the end of the bed on my feet. This new quilt is twice the thickness of the other one, it fills up the cover a lot better.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7557 on: March 16, 2017, 06:53:32 AM »

His story "The Rats In The Walls" really made an impression on me, long before my first mouse issue.  :hide:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #7558 on: March 16, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »
I didn't buy this today, nor did I receive it today. But I did try it out today, and I'm really pleased with it. Smaller water bottles are a little more hard to find, especially cute ones. This is 300ml/12floz.

:dog:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7559 on: March 16, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »
I didn't buy this today, nor did I receive it today. But I did try it out today, and I'm really pleased with it. Smaller water bottles are a little more hard to find, especially cute ones. This is 300ml/12floz.

Awww, it's got a little lanyard.  :)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"