Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 155782 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #7530 on: March 09, 2017, 11:04:23 AM »
A Wearever square Angel Food cake pan from the 1960's.  I wasn't even aware these existed.  I have NO use for it, scant room for it, BUT I HAD to have it.

I made an evil giggle   >:D   thinking of Parts while I was buying it.  Mine, all mine! Precious!
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7531 on: March 09, 2017, 02:27:42 PM »
I get it.

There are things that I encounter that I can not even conceive of not grabbing up on the spot. Most are vintage sound related.

Not long ago I found a solid aluminum "very old school," THICK Betty Crocker branded Faberwear cake pan, thirteen by nine, with a matching sliding top cover to protect the cake.
An aluminum pan made to mimic the cooking properties of a cast iron pan, sort of. AND a matching sliding protective cover!
I had to have it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:30:39 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7532 on: March 09, 2017, 04:26:43 PM »
I get it.

There are things that I encounter that I can not even conceive of not grabbing up on the spot. Most are vintage sound related.

Not long ago I found a solid aluminum "very old school," THICK Betty Crocker branded Faberwear cake pan, thirteen by nine, with a matching sliding top cover to protect the cake.
An aluminum pan made to mimic the cooking properties of a cast iron pan, sort of. AND a matching sliding protective cover!
I had to have it.

Shall we have a Bake-off?  Couldbecousin can judge.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7533 on: March 10, 2017, 12:46:10 AM »
Thinking of buying new speaker elements and filters for the garage cinema. About time. The old ones are crappy.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7534 on: March 10, 2017, 06:09:03 AM »
I get it.

I had to have it.

I was actually trying to point out that we are on the same team. :laugh:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7535 on: March 10, 2017, 10:33:23 AM »
A new tupperware type container for soaking axes and hammers in linseed oil after rehandling them.  The last one broke and made an awful mess :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7536 on: March 10, 2017, 11:05:40 AM »
I get it.

I had to have it.

I know we are.  Just trying to get some goodies.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7537 on: March 11, 2017, 03:37:38 PM »
I get it.

I had to have it.

I know we are.  Just trying to get some goodies.

Goodies? A couple of  weeks ago I made a double (Box Duncan Hines devils food cake in two pans) cake and carefully (I have learned to do this for a sheet cake, for real)  sliced it down the center edgewise to make a huge four layer cake, in thirteen by nine size.

I split both cakes down the middle and set one top as a base on a huge beef cutting plate that we have from the turn of the previous century  (came over with my wife's mom's stuff from England when she moved back here after the "service stuff her dad did" was all finished -

Her husband/my wife's father was older than my own kin.

... , then cream cheese icing from a can (sorry, it is just too easy) on the bottom layer, then the next layer of cake, then a layer of dark chocolate icing, The another cake layer then more cream cheese, then the final layer of cake smothered in chocolate.

It made four layers, alternating between cream cheese and dark chocolate icing (sorry, but all came from cans). I actually used one can of cream cheese and two cans of dark chocolate icing to create something that went away in about two days.

WTF!!  Yep. That is my (tongue in cheek)  way of sayng that my creations are totally suck and not worth doing again.  Hell the damn thing took forever to make and it did not even last two days. That was one of the worst cakes I have ever made.!!

All evidence to support this claim. It totally sucked. It only lasted two days!! What a shit cake!!

Anyway, I hope your tastebuds are screaming at chocolate and cream cheese together.

Ours did.   BUT what a suck city cake! Did not even last two days. Worst cake ever!! 
(NOT.   It was fabulous!!  I can not wait to try this again, but I am thinking of pineapple and orange cake for the layers and all cream cheese icing.)
 :lol1:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7538 on: March 11, 2017, 04:09:21 PM »
 :drool:

I would have ruined it by putting a layer of cherry pie filling somewhere in it.  Better get an unlisted address because there will be a lot of Intense stalkers.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7539 on: March 11, 2017, 04:31:32 PM »

I would have ruined it by putting a layer of cherry pie filling somewhere in it.  Better get an unlisted address because there will be a lot of Intense stalkers.
Can not ruin a cake with cherries!

It was just a couple of boxed cake mixes and some canned icing.

It is all in the want to "create" with no bounds and the result can be delicious.

Even with common ingredients.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 04:36:31 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7540 on: March 11, 2017, 04:47:14 PM »

Back to outdoor life things.

I came home with some boards to beef up some storage areas that have become a little saggy in the top of the garage. It is where we store Christmas shit up top over the summer and fall.

My plan is to shore up the dodgy supports and get all the fucking boxes of crap out of my way so I can use my garage as a wood shop again!!

I have a number of projects at hand, not to mention using my table saw to cut some native planks to use in my new found wood burning interest.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7541 on: March 11, 2017, 10:11:15 PM »

Can not ruin a cake with cherries!

It was just a couple of boxed cake mixes and some canned icing.

It is all in the want to "create" with no bounds and the result can be delicious.

Even with common ingredients.

I posted that because I thought you might not like the combination and wanted to be more admiring of your accomplishments.  I agree almost any cake can be improved with cherries.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7542 on: March 12, 2017, 12:19:41 AM »
Thanks.

Since we last "spoke"  I used a spice cake mix, added the guts of a can of apple pie filling,  chopped finely, most of the gel washed away. I felt I needed to offset the fruit so I added a half cup of flour and a teaspoon of baking powder to the mix. So far so good. It rose, smells fabulous and looks perfect.

It has cooled sufficiently and I am adding a canned salted caramel icing in a few minutes. Not sure what to call it, yet, but a caramel apple theme is entering my mind.

Yes, I will take shortcuts most of the time with sweets, but to have the recipes from ages of old recreated is a true pleasure.  one I rarely have time to explore. Kids take more time than imaginable, though.
Shortcuts have allowed me to be creative and still saved me more than once.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7543 on: March 12, 2017, 02:34:31 AM »
Here my muffins made with mineola juice and chunks of white chocolate look small. And the are. But the taste is awesome.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7544 on: March 12, 2017, 07:12:47 AM »
How much money for an old-style keyboard?!

The first one I posted is $750 plus tax and shipping.  :orly: I sit at a tiny laptop stand that barely has room for a mouse pad, so I don't know where I'm going to put my two awesome keyboards.  :dunno:

The neighbors are going to complain about the hoard spilling out of your burrow.
   Then the Health Department will come with the county sheriff  :police:  to take your keyboards. :trollface:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"