Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 157053 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #7290 on: September 03, 2016, 05:33:03 AM »
Hm I might just skip on that MeCN, since I just found I can do the thing I wanted the acetonitrile for in methylene chloride (and probably chloroform for that matter) using zinc bromide, although it was just a passing reference in a journal article, going to start scouring the published literature using sci-hub.cc (it fakes access tokens to university systems to bypass publishing house paywalls and retrieve articles for free)

Might try it using chloroform (which I can make from acetone easily enough via the haloform reaction with lye and hypochlorite bleach, handily for me I happen to have a 5 gallon drum of industrial hypochlorite solution (without the usual crap that goes into household bleach) thats quite a lot more concentrated, so I wouldn't have to order much. No ZnBr handy but could always do a small scale test run by making ZnCl. Or for that matter substitute another lewis acid, such as anhydrous ferric chloride, circuit board etchant, by preparing the anhydrous salt from the hydrate, courtesy of refluxing the hydrate in thionyl chloride. The SOCl2 reacts irreversibly with H2O (2F3Cl3[xH2O]+SOCl2>FeCl3+xHCl&SO2)

Stinky but it works very well for dessication of metal chloride salts, and neatly removes everything as gaseous byproducts.

Haven't decided yet whether to try that, or buy some zinc powder and potassium or sodium bromide (NaBr preferably, more bromine for my pound)
because I could use both for many more things. Although I could do both, considering I already have the SOCl2 and I think my old man almost certainly has some circuit board etching compound around that he'd spare me a bit of for testing things out. I'm just a bit leery of opening a bottle of the other reagent in the system, even outside, its apparently pretty corrosive, but thats not the issue. The issue is the huge warning 'WARNING! STENCH!' printed on the bottles. They arrived with a seal between the cap and bottle too. And despite claims of being less foul than some of its close relatives, those might well be present as byproducts, in small amounts, and thats all it will take for the stuff to be truly frighteningly horrendous.

Ren-thanks for reminding me, I totally forgot about the lemon/lime cheesecake in the fridge. Going to have some of that assuming its still good to eat.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7291 on: September 30, 2016, 05:07:59 PM »
Just ordered a litebook. Now there is hoping it will make a difference.

Hope it will be here tomorrow. Otherwise will have to wait till Tuesday.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7292 on: September 30, 2016, 06:20:52 PM »
:tape:

A 6 pack of heavy duty packing tape.

I'd love to say it was for a creative endeavor... :dominatrix:

...but I'm almost out and need it for shipping.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #7293 on: October 01, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »
More books!   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7294 on: October 01, 2016, 03:59:03 PM »
More books!   8)

It feels good every time, doesn't it? :thumbup:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7295 on: October 01, 2016, 04:14:36 PM »
Well in the end I decided to give myself the option of trying the reaction I had in mind in both acetonitrile and dichloromethane/methylene chloride. Can try in chloroform as well since I more or less decided to splurge on a huge restock of solvents, to give myself enough of everything I generally need frequently, couldn't get chloroform from this particular stockist,  but since I accidentally ordered a 15 liter container of acetone (which can easily be used to make chloroform via the haloform reaction using caustic soda and hypochlorite bleach) in addition to the intended 25 liters, thanks to a shitty mousepad on this laptop and not realizing it until the order had already been submitted, I may as well use a bunch of it to do a large-scale haloform reaction, turn it into chloroform, and maybe sell the surplus chloroform on ebay afterwards, as its quite expensive there.

Oops:P :autism:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #7296 on: October 02, 2016, 06:37:26 AM »
I just bough a Samsung Galaxy S3 as my old phone is slowly sitting itself. Next I have to buy a computer. Will look around a little for that. Ugh. Computer seat itself too

Conveniently whilst I started saving for trip overseas next year
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7297 on: October 02, 2016, 06:53:38 AM »
I just bough a Samsung Galaxy S3 as my old phone is slowly sitting itself. Next I have to buy a computer. Will look around a little for that. Ugh. Computer seat itself too

Conveniently whilst I started saving for trip overseas next year

The S3 is an old phone, but mine still works fine.  :2thumbsup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7298 on: October 02, 2016, 07:21:58 AM »
The last Samsung I thought was junk and used to get red hot while charging.

...but the LG I have now is a bigger piece of junk that constantly freezes and reboots.

Enjoy the Samsung, just don't leave it charging on anything overly flammable.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7299 on: October 02, 2016, 07:36:18 AM »
The last Samsung I thought was junk and used to get red hot while charging.

...but the LG I have now is a bigger piece of junk that constantly freezes and reboots.

Enjoy the Samsung, just don't leave it charging on anything overly flammable.

Or just up your insurance and make sure nobody is home :zoinks:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7300 on: October 02, 2016, 10:46:43 AM »
They do get hot when charged.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7301 on: October 02, 2016, 11:29:22 AM »
Wood and screws.  My sister is putting up shelves in my pantry.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #7302 on: October 02, 2016, 03:38:13 PM »
DVD of Gone Girl.
Supplies for making Christmas cards.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7303 on: October 04, 2016, 06:00:47 AM »
Just ordered a litebook. Now there is hoping it will make a difference.

Hope it will be here tomorrow. Otherwise will have to wait till Tuesday.

It just got delivered. It's small and sleek amd the light emitted is said to be equivalent to 10.000 LUX.

It is now charging.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7304 on: October 04, 2016, 08:10:08 AM »
Some tobacco.

Still bloody waiting for my fuckton of solvents, potassium iodide and pot perm.

Oh, and I did buy a load of tubes of a kind of candy called 'parma violets', those are pale round disk-shaped sweets, softish and crunchy, powdery in texture, dissolving not super-fast but quite quickly when sucked on, pale mauve in color and tasting of, well, violets (as in the scent of the flowering plant, sweetish, perfumed flavour, very old fashioned). My old man loathes them but I love the things. Got a couple of bags of irn bru flavour boiled sweets that actually do taste like irn bru the drink. Really nice they are too. And two bottles of bubblegum flavour fizzy pop, 2l sizes.

Some lavender essential oil.

And whilst I haven't bought yet, I am on the hunt for some mercury metal, and WFNA type HNO3 (white fuming nitric acid), or alternatively some mercury nitrate, or better yet, since it isn't the nitrate anion I want, its the Hg content, in fact I'd sooner have it as mercury (II) chloride or mercury (II) bromide. And I'd rather not bother spending the money to buy the nitric acid either as currently dissolving mercury, if all I can get is mercury in its elemental, metallic form, is pretty much the only need I currently would have for it (I.e if I came upon Hg(NO3)2 itself then I wouldn't require the WFNA, at least not right now I wouldn't, although it is one of the handier acids to have around, for its strongly oxidizing character. Not bad for cleaning things off glassware, preferable to a chromic acid bath as it doesn't leave behind chromium residues all the elements making up HNO3 being gaseous and therefore volatile, it leaves when asked without sticking its foot in the door haha. And MUCH safer to use, although not so effective on the very toughest of gunk, than using piranha bath (a mixture of concentrated sulfuric acid and conc. hydrogen peroxide. Eats the living shit out of most anything it touches, damn dangerous and has a nasty ass tendency towards forming things that can explode, and it will itself cause organics to go kaboomski. Nasty stuff, but good for removing burnt on carbonized crap from glassware because its quite capable of dissolving even the likes of a carbon rod, inorganic carbon itself is oxidized to CO2 by piranha acid. But everything damn well BETTER have been dealt with thoroughly first so the organics have been burnt off before its used, nitric is more of a first resort, and a lot safer)

Not quite decided whether to go for Hg(0) and dissolve the metal  in nitric acid myself then prepare one of its oxides and thence a halide (other than mercuric iodide which is insoluble more or less in water and the lower alcohols..damn near most other things too afaik, although I've never had anything personally to do with it), or buy Hg salts directly. Because on the one hand the salts are more convenient and facile for my uses, but on the other, harder to turn to Hg metal, needing first converting to cinnabar, mercury sulfide, then roasting to distill off mercury as the vapor, condensing it, which I would really really REALLY not want to do. Mercury vapor being the nasty fucking shit that it is. But I also have something I'd like to do with mercury metal, if I can get it in bulk, namely make a mercury cell.

Not the battery type, not that kind of mercury cell, but one that uses liquid mercury as the anode, for electrolytic reduction of potassium salts, the molten salt sitting above the dense mercury being electrolyzed and as its produced, potassium metal dissolves into the mercury to form an amalgam, once the mercury is saturated with as much potassium or sodium as it can take, then the mercury-potassium amalgam is recovered and the mercury distilled off and recovered, or potentially made use of itself directly without having to distill off the Hg (which stays in the metallic form)

One issue though is I'd have to really find the mercury as metal, in this country because its so fucking heavy and dense and a bastard to have shipped, because of the way it can't go on air freight, as one spill and the plane could be eaten away in flight. Which of course is not conducive to the pilot retaining clean underwear to say the very least:D

And whilst my organic chemistry use for Hg as mercury (II) salts (mercury (I) being the mercurous oxidation state and Hg (II) is mercuric, the latter being much, much much more toxic than mercury (I) only requires small quantities, almost catalytic quantities often as not, for use as an electrode for the potassium/sodium amalgam type electrolytic refinement, that requires the use of liters of it. Which wouldn't come cheaply either.  Shipping too would be monstrous if its international, as Hg is extremely heavy and very very dense. So dense, that apparently if one has a tank of mercury metal, its actually physically possible to stand on it without sinking. Would love to see if its true, and if it would only apply that one doesn't sink if horizontal, or if the narrow surface area of booted feet would in fact, sink despite its great density. I've seen pictures of the likes of pound coins floating on it though. But one day, I want to give it a try, to see if I can walk on mercury, like jesus christ was reputed to walk on water:D (wearing protective gear of course)